Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 516716

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.11%
No 322 62.89%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:49   #161
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
How does the diesel in the exhaust system get back into the sump? Can't see how that could happen.

No issues for mine by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If any ( or more ) of the conditions above are current then it will not even attempt a regeneration , they are pretty robust now with about 10 different sensors used to determine if regeneration is needed .. on older generation diesels you are probably right
Absolutely, it shouldn't happen and in 10 years with DPF's I have never had an issue myself, something has to be wrong ( in the Mazda case a lack of sensors and duff workaround maps) for it to cause a malfunction, it you keep short running it and switching it off just as it gets to temperature.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 23:36   #162
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
It doesn't inject the fuel directly into the exhaust, it injects during the exhaust stroke and the the fuel mist then finds it's way into the exhaust......but if the car isn't hot enough or running fast enough, or the dpf has excessive back pressure the fuel doesn't mist and washes the bore instead and works it's way down into the sump past the rings.
OK, that I see, but you originally said....

Quote:
So much for the theory. I understand problems arise when the exhaust system is not hot enough to fully ignite the injected diesel, some of which then finds its way into the sump.
And I didn't see how once in the exhaust it got back into the sump.

There is a temperature sensor in the DPF to stop injected fuel being sent into the exhaust if it is not at a sufficient temperature.

My oil level is 100% stable. Extremely clean as well.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 06:16   #163
Agouti

I'm guessing that there is a combination of significant blow-by and over fuelling during the power stroke.
Agouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 15:32   #164
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
I'm guessing that there is a combination of significant blow-by and over fuelling during the power stroke.
Not in a modern Volvo engines. They use special piston rings and very sophisticated sensors and injection software.
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 02:38   #165
Agouti

I guess it's also possible that with high exhaust back pressure and worn exhaust valve guides you could get excessive leakage into the cam covers, potentially carrying some diesel meant for the dpf with it. The diesel could then be captured in the all the oil sloshing around the cams and make its way back down to the sump via the crank bearing oil supply.

Does Volvo rely on intake vacuum for crankcase ventilation like most cars traditionally do?
Agouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 17:10   #166
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
I guess it's also possible that with high exhaust back pressure and worn exhaust valve guides you could get excessive leakage into the cam covers, potentially carrying some diesel meant for the dpf with it. The diesel could then be captured in the all the oil sloshing around the cams and make its way back down to the sump via the crank bearing oil supply.

Does Volvo rely on intake vacuum for crankcase ventilation like most cars traditionally do?
The engine will go into limp mode with high exhaust back pressure.

Diesels have little or no intake vacuum to draw gases into the CDR Valve engine 2007 emission standards do not permit crankcase blow-by to be vented to
the atmosphere. OBD-II engines require monitoring of crankcase pressure to detect problems associated with the closed crankcase ventilation system.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jun 17th, 2016 at 17:34.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 16:23   #167
MrBenjaminHDM

I've had it in my 2015 model V60 D5, only 18k miles. The problem I have is that I kept unknowingly interrupting the DPF regens, the car would much rather regen more often and dilute the oil than risk raising a message on your dash about a full filter. It's very difficult to tell when it's regenerating unless you know what to look for, it's almost like Volvo don't want you to know it's fitted with a DPF. The gents in maintenance I've spoken to seem confident that the 0w-30 oil can handle the contamination and worst comes to worst I'd rather change the oil twice a year than replace the DPF biannually.

I've done a write up about the behavior of the DPF which might help a lot of people avoid these issues in future http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263914
MrBenjaminHDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 21:30   #168
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenjaminHDM View Post
I've had it in my 2015 model V60 D5, only 18k miles. The problem I have is that I kept unknowingly interrupting the DPF regens, the car would much rather regen more often and dilute the oil than risk raising a message on your dash about a full filter. It's very difficult to tell when it's regenerating unless you know what to look for, it's almost like Volvo don't want you to know it's fitted with a DPF. The gents in maintenance I've spoken to seem confident that the 0w-30 oil can handle the contamination and worst comes to worst I'd rather change the oil twice a year than replace the DPF biannually.

I've done a write up about the behavior of the DPF which might help a lot of people avoid these issues in future http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263914
But the oil level never changes on the latest D5 five cylinder and 4 cylinder engines so how can the oil be diluted without increasing the oil level?

Roy
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 13:12   #169
Shah

I have noticed my oil levels creep up.

1st Time had it fully serviced. within 2 days warning came up. took to garage and they siphoned it off a little.

Since then all ok until 2weeks ago where it said Engine System something and when i checked the oil level electronically it said too much.

Not sure why this occurs. Will have to drain some more off myself rather then another trip to the garage!
Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 13:38   #170
JDmac
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
To try and understand if this is a common issue or one that is rather more isolated I wonder if you could answer the poll questions above. That way we will be able to understand the occurence of the issue
Hi Wim, how does this thread (which runs from 2010 to 2016) come up on my page as an unread post today 27/11/2017? Cheers,JDmac.
JDmac is offline   Reply With Quote