Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 140/164 badges that exists

Views : 19771

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2012, 18:13   #11
hinterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillen963 View Post
Im sorry but i do not belive they made badges for the 165 because there was never such a car!

All the 165´s are special built so to go trough the troble to make emblems just for two-three cars is unlikely.

And to educate you on the 142GT and the 144GT
There was never any such car built by Volvo.

In Sweden all the GT stuff was accesories and thats why they are so rare!
Not many people accesoriesed their car with all the stuff,maybe a few cars got most the stuff at the dealer but i would guess that almost every car got that with their probably younger second owner.

In US there was a dealer that made a few GT-cars with the emblem/badge that hinterland is looking for

I have many car/accesories-brochures for Volvo 140/164 if some1 wants to see something special!
There is also some brochures availble in PDF at the Swedish Volvo 164 Clubs page:
http://www.164club.org/broschyr/index.html

Erik in Sweden
Thanks for all the comments
I will add mine based on information I have received, but then some of that information may be wrong!
The French le break is supposed to be the french word for the wagon, coming from a horse drawn wagon of many years ago.
The 142 GT in Canada, customers were supposed to have been able to order one from the plant in Nova Scotia, and they would add the parts for you including the special 123 GT like 142 GT rear emblem. Many of the cars produced in Nova Scotia were for the Canadian market and at the time were not even allowed to be exported. that is why the 123 GT produced in Canada had the locking rear end, but no mirrors mounted on the front of the fenders, or fog lights.
I have been told the Amazon 221 fender emblem was only used in one year of production only. I have seen them on Tradera in Sweden and they usually go for a high price. Since I am a collector and have to budget my purchases, I cannot always buy a particular emblem when I see it somewhere, which can be very frustrating sometimes! However it does force me to do extensive searches for emblems and sometime I find emblems listed obscurely. I got one of my NOS 142 GT fender emblems for Europe once for 5 Euros, which is probably one of my best buys.
I have checked many sites looking for the more rare 200 series emblems, many have them listed, but when you inquire, they say none available from the supplier.
I have tried the classic site in Sweden you mentioned in a previous message, but when I put in the emblem number, like for the rear 264 TE emblem, no results are produced.
If you have seeking any emblem in particular, I do have extra ones from sets that I have bought maybe we could trade some, as I do have a extra 1975 164 E rear emblem, for like maybe a gold Volvo amazon 58 fender emblem.
I do have a few very rare emblems like a P1900 dash radio inset emblem, and a 264 TE rear emblem, 1980 style with the silver 264 and the TE in gold colour.
On the 165 there was one apparently built by Volvo in Sweden for one of its then Presidents. The car was extra long like a Transfer, but then again this may be a story, but here is the photo.
hinterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 20:57   #12
sillen963

Hinterland:
Im sorry to say that i only have a pair each of the amazon and amazonS emblems so ill hang on to them.

"I have been told the Amazon 221 fender emblem was only used in one year of production only"

The estate of the amazon was introduced in 1962 and it had an "update"
in 1964 to the new "shield"-like badge and new wheels and other things to
so that badge was on the cars for 2 years BUT only 1400 was made in -62 and
6875 in -63,64902 estates was made from 1964-69 so there is a big difference in availability

"On the 165 there was one apparently built by Volvo in Sweden for one of its then Presidents"

I do NOT belive this to be true!

Im not sure if you mean president of Sweden or president of Volvo?
But Sweden never had a President,We have a King and a Prime-minister and im pretty sure it wasnt built for them.
On another pic of that car you can see its in germany in a car show called Techno Classica Essen so it may have been built for Volvo Germanys president in germany but it has the info for the picture as "Essen, Technoclassica. Volvo 165 oder 164 Kombi T für Flughafentransfer (vermute ich)" Flughafentransfer=Airport Shuttle
And some stuff is wierd about that car like the 74 and up doors.

But i do know that the diktator of east-germany Erich Honecker had a love for special-built Volvos and owned a few 264TE Landauette (cabriolet over the backseat) i havent seen you mentioning them anywere so maybe thats news to you?

I read some of your comments on "fruttans" flickr and tried to respond but i couldent cuz i dont have facbook or google

But some info on stuff u had wrong there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fruttan...in/photostream

In Sweden Volvo 142/144 GL was introduced in 1971 they r both rare but 144GL is the rarest cuz it was "never" sold in Sweden 71-72 but a few stayed behind,73-74 both were availble and is a bit more common.
The Swedish Grand Luxes almost always was sold with gold or blue-metalic paint and had a sunroof,availble with 4,4 with od and automatic
They all had fuel injection,Black Leather interior,front foglights,and 5,5inch wheels with a beauty-ring,chrome wheelnuts and a small hubcap

The 142/4/5 E 71-72 models were never availble in Sweden either but some cop-cars had that engine and as in most cases with Volvos that wasnt availble here some stayed behind so there is a few of them around.
Same story with 142/4/5 73-74 BUT an exeption with the 145E i belive cuz ive seen quite a few 145E 1973-74 around often in blue-metalic

There NEVER was a 145GL model of any year! i have seen Ads were people call the 145E for GL but it always is "just" an E.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fruttan...in/photostream

There was actually a 244 limousine!
They were/are often used as taxis here in sweden and are not TE (Top Executive) models cuz thats way to much luxury for common swedes lol

Here is a link for another 240GLT Limo:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=78569

I hope this helped you a bit.

Erik in Sweden
sillen963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 21:49   #13
hinterland

Thanks for the info, especially about the 244 limo, have never heard of that one.
I did mean the president of Volvo, but upon reading my own English I can see where I failed to complete the sentence!
Being able to read German and Swedish would be of great help to me too. I know I can use Google translate to read sites like Tradera, and eBay Germany.
But when you search those sites you have to type in the common search word in German, or Swedish, complete with accent mark, not always an easy task.
Emblem works on most countries, but märke and schriftzug and embleem in Dutch has helped me find emblems I may have missed.

Yes I am familiar with the east German 264 TE cabriolet, and also the 244 DLS. I actually have a full set of emblems from the 244 DLS
Another early 240 series emblem I would like to have is the 244 GL and DL 1.7 fender emblem, for cars which were sold to Greece and Israel, Volvo numbers 1246099 and 124794
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 19:26   #14
er120799

Quote:
Im pretty happy with my collection of badges!
I DO live in sweden you know..... lol
There are some gaps here and there but i do buy from time to time.
And other nice stuff mostly for 140/164.

er120799
Could you be so kind to post a picture of that badge?

john h
I do miss 1975 164e badges,but when i seen them come up they have been to expensive
Hi Sillen, I can be reached at er120799 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Eirik
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 07:57   #15
hinterland

Volvo 142 GT brochure from Canada. Cars were produced for Canadian market only from 1969-1970. They had the 142 GT badge on the rear, similar to the 123 GT badge, but had a 142 S badge on the fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 142 GT BROCHURE CANADA PAGE 1.jpg (262.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 142 GT BROCHURE CANADA PAGE 2.jpg (300.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 142 GT BROCHURE CANADA PAGE 1a.jpg (257.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 142 GT rear emblem canada 1969-1970.jpg (60.9 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to hinterland For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 02:37   #16
hinterland

Default volvo 140 Canadian rear emblem

This is a different style Canadian rear emblem used on some 140's produced in Canada, too bad the rear of the car is damaged. I have one of these emblems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg other canadian emblem.jpg (12.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by hinterland; Feb 14th, 2012 at 02:52.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 19:39   #17
hinterland

Default Volvo 164 TE emblems 1974 only

These emblems were not easy to come by. A special model Top Executive, only available in some countries in the 1974 model year
The car had two fender emblems and a TE emblem on the front grill and another on the rear left hand side.
The car has extra accessories, like headlight wipers, rear interior reading light, rear headrests, and other luxury items
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164 TE emblems 1974 only.jpg (112.7 KB, 5 views)
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:19   #18
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Rear badges,missing Grand luxe 1970 (very rare)
The auto & o/d badges at the top (2nd & 3rd) look like Amazon badges - are they the same? Didn't realise these were used on the 140s too.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 21:53   #19
sillen963

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
The auto & o/d badges at the top (2nd & 3rd) look like Amazon badges - are they the same? Didn't realise these were used on the 140s too.
Yes they are the same type on Amazon 1967-70 as on the 140/164´s

On this picture you can see how the overdrive-badge looked on the Amazon
1964-66 (rigth lower corner) to my knowledge there wasnt a automatic-badge for those years.

Erik in Sweden
The Following User Says Thank You to sillen963 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 22:04   #20
sillen963

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinterland View Post
These emblems were not easy to come by. A special model Top Executive, only available in some countries in the 1974 model year
The car had two fender emblems and a TE emblem on the front grill and another on the rear left hand side.
The car has extra accessories, like headlight wipers, rear interior reading light, rear headrests, and other luxury items
Yea i only seen one TE in real life,they were not that common in Sweden i think.
But i do have the rear interior reading light,rear headrests and aircondition in one of my Black 164e 1972´s,it was sold new as a "limousine" for Volvo Skövde Verken"
And that car is pretty unusual too because Volvos wernt availble in Black 1972 in Sweden (and i got two of them :P)
Here are pictures of one of them (not the Skövde Verket one)
http://www.hemsida.net/volvo140/eriks164.htm

Erik in Sweden
The Following User Says Thank You to sillen963 For This Useful Post: