Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Brake Disc/Rotor Replacement

Views : 1603

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2015, 13:46   #1
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default Rear Brake Disc/Rotor Replacement

I had two pleasant surprises when I replaced my rear discs over the weekend.

The first was that there is actually room to take the rear discs out without having to take off the caliper carrier. I hadn't even though to try previously but I came across a youtube video for an Audi where the same thing was possible. Nice. I'm not sure if this is the case for all models. What I can say is that my Volvo disc part # is 30769059. I wonder if the same is possible for the front...

The second was that no special tool is required to push back the piston once the EPB has been rewound. You can use a c-clamp or some channel-locs.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:47   #2
Semnoz

Yes, was pleased to find this is the case on my V70 too when I replaced the rotors and pads yesterday evening.

It's certainly a squeeze to feed the rotor in, but no sharp edges, so quite harmless for the rotor surface.

This was with 302mm dia solid rotors. I'm not sure if vented rotors would have squeezed through.

I can also confirm I was able to slowly push the piston back using a wind-back tool (my pads were very worn, so I had to push the piston through it's entire travel). Unfortunately I wasn't able to first loosen the bleed screw as bizarrely the 10mm end of my bleed-screw/hose-nut spanner was too tight, and the 11mm end was too loose ??!!

I did remove the master-cylinder fluid reservoir cap, but the fluid level hardly rose when I pushed the pistons in, so not sure removing the cap made any difference. I wasn't too happy about pushing the pistons in without loosening the bleed-screw, but they did push in very easily and smoothly, so that put me at ease a bit.

Controlling the EPB with VIDA DICE was very easy, although the 5th option to 'Test the Installation' didn't provide any status message, it simply wound the brakes off and on again, so didn't actually tell me it was a successful test. Maybe it only says something if the test fails ? Anyway, the brakes worked perfectly afterwards.

My only 'unknown' in all this is whether I was supposed to have fitted vented rotors. These tend to be thicker, and I recall that even with the piston pushed in all the way, the caliper only just fitted over the new pads, so a thicker rotor would have made it even more of a struggle. Is there another version of the V70 rear caliper that's wider to accommodate vented rotors ?
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:36   #3
big square car

I did my rear discs and pads a few weeks ago and also found the discs came out without removing the bracket. I need to do the front ones soon but I'm not sure if that will be the case with them. I too was baffled to find that I had no spanner that would fit the bleed screw! I just pushed the piston back slowly using a G clamp with no ill effects although I would have preferred to open them. I had also read that the discs could seize onto the hub so a few days before doing the job I squirted some WD40 where the hub comes through the disc, wiping any surplus away and taking great care not to allow any onto the friction surface. The disc lifted off no problem. I used an Autel EST301 to retract the EPB motor
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 17:21   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

I've done it twice now with a G-Clamp, didn't know you could do it without removing the caliper though.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 20:03   #5
big square car

Yes you take the caliper off but not the bracket.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 21:33   #6
Semnoz

I did have to remove the caliper and bracket when doing the front discs.....

I ended up having to re-use the old caliper and bracket bolts as I didn't get any with the rotors/pads (Brembo). Interestingly the rear rotors/pads (again Brembo) did come with caliper bolts.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 22:29   #7
big square car

Thanks Semnoz for that information. I'm now forewarned!
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 14:24   #8
bobsy852

i need to replace the rear discs and pads on my 2008 V70 before it's MOT.
Glad to read here that I won't need a special wind-back tool.

However, I don't have access to a VIDA system, I read somewhere that I can wire the EPB up to a spare car battery to wind the EPB off? is that correct?
I presume I run wires from the battery to the nearest connection of the EPB system and then just reverse the wires if it tries to wind the EPB on further?
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 14:59   #9
1monkey600

That's how I did mine. Get two preferably different coloured wires about a metre long with a female spade connector on one end of each wire.

Make sure the Handbrake is on before you start.

Before touching the brake calipers, pads, etc : open the cable connector plug at the back of the caliper and fit the spade connector ends of the wires inside the connector. Touch the other ends of the wires to the spare battery and , as you say, if nothing (or very little) happens then swap the battery terminals.
You should hear it winding out for a few seconds then as soon as it stops release the wires from the battery. You can then remove the spade connectors from the back of the caliper, reconnect the connector plug and carry on as per the old days to remove the pads, disc, etc.

Repeat the process on the other wheel. Once it is all buttoned back up you can use the EPB button to reset the pistons.

I believe a small 9v battery (like the ones in smoke alarms) will also work so you don't have to have a spare car battery lying around

Last edited by 1monkey600; Mar 6th, 2018 at 15:21.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 16:21   #10
bobsy852

Thanks Monkey! Perfect description! I'll get some wire and connectors before I start!

Luckily i have a spare battery at the moment as my BM is off the road for winter so I can use that! Thanks!
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote