Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Demented Sat Nav

Views : 3215

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2015, 21:04   #1
davidjpowell

Default Demented Sat Nav

I've noticed my demented Sat Nav is telling me to go right on one screen, but the little symbol might say the opposite.

It's a bit weird.

Not sure what the lady says as she's too bloody noisy and interrupts in the wrong time so is turned off.

Any one else?
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 21:06   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjpowell View Post
I've noticed my demented Sat Nav is telling me to go right on one screen, but the little symbol might say the opposite.

It's a bit weird.

Not sure what the lady says as she's too bloody noisy and interrupts in the wrong time so is turned off.

Any one else?
This is a known issue. wimorrison will tell you for sure !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 22:01   #3
JRS80

Mine has regularly tried to send me the wrong way up a one way street along with favouring narrow single track lanes over faster main ones.

Demented indeed.

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 22:09   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

It's only a driving aid and not a replacement for common sense, after all it's only a computer so what do you do you expect!
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 22:13   #5
BEJ

I would expect it to be on a par with a Garmin or Tomtom. No reason why it shouldn't. Come on Volvo, get your act together.
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 22:19   #6
davidjpowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
It's only a driving aid and not a replacement for common sense, after all it's only a computer so what do you do you expect!
As above I expect it to be as good as a TomTom or any other system.

And I'm quite used to it being a guide only - that's why I still use my TomTom in London.... The Volvo has a habit of guiding me from jam to jam.

Still Right instead of left is kind of basic.
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 22:38   #7
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
I would expect it to be on a par with a Garmin or Tomtom. No reason why it shouldn't. Come on Volvo, get your act together.
Agree. I sometimes use my Garmin as a backup (principally because you can search for waypoints by proximity - and I have nearly 900 - sad !). It's quite amusing when the Volvo tells you a 'different turn' to go down the same road as the Garmin.
Having said that, I am becoming quite comfortable with the Volvo system. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 07:06   #8
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
My wife hates the sat nav voice as it keeps on interrupting her, I do try to point out that she talks to much but even I find it hard to get a word in edgeways with both of them banging on.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 09:52   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
My wife hates the sat nav voice as it keeps on interrupting her, I do try to point out that she talks to much but even I find it hard to get a word in edgeways with both of them banging on.
On mine you can change the voice to a mans. If you do it on yours it will be interesting to find out if she listens to what he says!

Might balance things up in the car a bit as well!
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 16:06   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

It's a bit weird.

Any one else?
As suggested in this thread I have been discussing this issue for a ling time with Volvo - almost 2 years actually and it is only recently after one of their engineers saw the fault for themselves that they have started to accept this is an issue - together with the very strange traffic warning that occur referring to a road a1208 which is announced for random road and junctions.

Volvo have maintained that this issue only applies to me and that I am the only person that has ever noticed this issue, yet I know that many have seen it as I have had private messages from people here asking me what the issue is that they have seen - you are the only one that has 'broken cover' to admit publicly that they are also seeing this issue

What you need to do is to take a picture of the screen, ideally showing the satnav and the misdirection in the same picture (though I believe that they now accept that the top left of satnav screen is also showing the same incorrect direction) and give this image to your dealer explaining where it happened - they can then send it into Volvo.

The latest that they have said is that it is mapping fault, which is incorrect as in the cases I have reported to them the roads and junctions show correctly, the direction on the main screen show correctly - it is only the tell tale in the top left and its emulation in the driver display that is wrong - often spectacularly - as in A417/419 and M4 junction at Swindon.

If the error isn't notified to Volvo then they wont fix it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: