Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale: Volvo 2.4d\d5 timing belt additional protection

Views : 40074

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2016, 08:10   #21
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I'm interested. But I can't tell from your photos how it is supposed fully protect the cam belt. Some annotation would be useful to explain along with the photos how the guard you propose makes it unfeasible for an out of control and severed serpentine belt to interfere with the cam belt.

I think it needs a bit more technical explanation than just playing on any fears.
I don't think these are being sold as part of a commercial venture: rather the OP is offering to source the item so in my view, people either want one or they don't.

In fairness to the OP, I can't see that he has any requirement to convince people. We're all grown-ups, people can either decide to part with the money and take their choice or not.

Last edited by RM955I; Mar 11th, 2016 at 08:17.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 11:20   #22
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
I don't think these are being sold as part of a commercial venture: rather the OP is offering to source the item so in my view, people either want one or they don't.

In fairness to the OP, I can't see that he has any requirement to convince people. We're all grown-ups, people can either decide to part with the money and take their choice or not.
I understand, but there's always the law of unintended consequences. Can it cause a secondary issue, as its not been through appropriate and thorough testing, as per manufacturers parts. At least if I have the facts I can weigh up the pros and cons.

I realise it only 50 odd sovs, but if I'm going to take a punt on this I'd like to make up my own mind based on full disclosure of how this works. I appreciate this maybe a sideline and hobby for the op, and maybe not willing to put too much effort, but I think it needs it.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 14:23   #23
RM955I
Premier Member

If you need the comfort of type approval or destruction testing certificates then perhaps it's not right for you and you'd be better looking at alternatives. In the meantime, some people are happy to take it at face value without demanding "evidence" from the OP.

How does it work? It's a pulley guard: what else is there to say.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 18:03   #24
Frank B

Count me in as well please, at worst its £55 wasted, price of a modest meal out., at best it keeps my lovely old car running when an engine failure would probably mean scrapping it
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 21:17   #25
Element888

Hi folks.
Alternator belt gets into timing belt area through small gaps between timing belt plastic cover and cranksaft pulley (see picture where i tried to mark red those gaps) . After belt gets into those gaps, it will brake plastic cover, tangle around cranksaft pulley, get into timing belt and break your engine.
Takes couple seconds this to happen. This is worst scenario.
This is high risk area and it's been confirmed on numerous ocasions in real life, not just in theory, where damage has already happened.
It also could get into timing belt area on top area of crank pulley, where there is still small gap left even with this kit on , but that's very unlikely and not confirmed.
If you take your wheel, plastic arch off and look into that area carefully, you would be able to see and confirm this.
Also some volvo mechanic from this forum would probably able to confirm these cases - where and how alt belt gets into timing belt.

This guard protects that area not letting anything pass into timing belt, if your other belt brakes.
You could make anything like this guard yourself - it doesnt have to be made from steel, could be plastic or anything else - all it has to do is to take first initial hit from belt, when and if it brakes.
See pictures without and with cover. This is bottom part of crankshaft pulley.
- Without Protection Kit - With Protection Kit on - With Protection Kit on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I'm interested. But I can't tell from your photos how it is supposed fully protect the cam belt. Some annotation would be useful to explain along with the photos how the guard you propose makes it unfeasible for an out of control and severed serpentine belt to interfere with the cam belt.

I think it needs a bit more technical explanation than just playing on any fears.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 15th, 2016 at 14:33.
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element888 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 21:42   #26
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
I recently did all belts, pulleys and tensioners on my xc90 d5.there is a Volvo guard but made of the flimsiest piece of plastic.i always use genuine where I can or gates .I had a gates auxiliary belt let go at about 2.5 k on wifes berlingo.no damage but very inconvenient as I had to let her drive my td5.

Put me down for one please.
If you own XC90 D5, there is no need for this kit and it wont fit anyway.
There are no confirmed cases for this to happen, at least I havent found any.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 21:53   #27
Element888

Default How to tell if this kit will fit my D5?

Quick update: Appologies, but this should be added to first post earlier on.
To be able to tell if this protection guard/kit will fit your D5, you will need to jack up your car, take wheel and plastic inner arch off and look for following:
There have to be 2 bolt holes into your engine block on left from you and 1 smaller bolt on right hand side, which holds timing belt cover.
If you can't see 2 holes on left hand side of your engine block -IT WILL NOT FIT.
See pictures:

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 15th, 2016 at 14:20. Reason: Remove urls from images
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 22:03   #28
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
Count me in as well please, at worst its £55 wasted, price of a modest meal out., at best it keeps my lovely old car running when an engine failure would probably mean scrapping it
I have ordered 6 kits so far, althought there are many more orders.
I will not order any more till April.
Don't get me wrong here, but I am putting my money towards these kits, risking people to refuse orders, when they arrive, therefore I dont want to order too many.
You can PM me or put your name down here, if you still need one and have confirmed this kit will fit your D5 engine.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 13:28   #29
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Surely there must be an engine number range that this mod is required for/will fit - to save having to take off the wheel and arch liner?

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 14:04   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

OP, I think you need to specify which D5 variants and car models this is suitable for otherwise some people may end up with a £50 piece of plastic they can't use.

Tags
2.4d engine, aux belt snapped, d5 engine, timing belt cover