Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 D5 (185)....Excessive Oil Consumption & Soot Filter Ful

Views : 32470

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2017, 13:41   #21
jamie1131

I don't have a soot filter full message, just really high oil consumption. My car had a new DPF before I purchased it so possible I just haven't filled it with soot yet.
In 5 months I have covered about 5000 miles and used near 10 litres of oil. Initially I had no signs of smoke. Now I am getting smoke when accelerating after slowing down.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 01:31   #22
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by diro View Post
Clogged DPF can be a reason of high engine oil consumption and it is most likely in many cases.
What happens...
when DPF is reasonably clogged but still operative and everytime regeneration is activated engine oil is diluted with diesel becomes thinner and thinner and thinner. It goes through the piston rings and especially turbo seals to the engine combustion chambers and burns. When that oil burns DPF clogs much quicker hence you all guys have a message - DPF is Full.

DPF issues is the first reason of the turbo seals failure.
Even DPF is not full, it gets regenerated randomly and you change engine oil within intervals but still have high oil consumption - suspect turbo.

1st step - sort out DPF untill its not too late
My turbo is brand new, dpf claened, 2 liters of oil in 500miles, cannot see that it can be related to dpf,

also cannot see that there is any connection from DPF/CAT to oil system for this magical dilution of oil that I have seen, perhaps this is only in the newer version....

going to try a compression test, wet and dry....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 12:40   #23
diro

What is a mileage of your car mate?
And what grade of engine oil do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
My turbo is brand new, dpf claened, 2 liters of oil in 500miles, cannot see that it can be related to dpf...
It can be. Cleaned DPF is not the same as brand new. When DPF is reasonably clogged but still in operational regeneration condition the exhaust gases reach much higher temperatures nearly up to the limits where the engine itself have to work at higher temperatures too. Especially oil which gets thinner at those temperatures and you have high oil consumption. Besides burn oil debris accumulate and burn on the cylinder walls, piston rings, valves etc. Even a brand new turbo can burn engine oil dramatically because of the DPF.
Compression test is recommended and is a low cost procedure. Low compression can be a consequences of the DPF issues
For the higher mileage cars it would be better to use 5w30 engine oil instead of 0w50 which is thin.
5w30 will not do any harm to the engine. It even can be better. I have noticed a huge better difference to the engine performance, engine noise when switched from 0w30 to 5w30 for cars which made 80-100k miles and above.
There is no very low subzero temperatures in the UK so 0w30 is not essential.

Last edited by diro; Apr 28th, 2017 at 13:09.
diro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 13:11   #24
HiFlyer437

Not sure who that's directed at, but I use the recommended 0w30 in ours. So would a DPF delete potentially sort the issue?
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 13:28   #25
jamie1131

I very much doubt it. The DPF is getting blocked because you are burning oil not the other way around. Also with the amount you are topping up the oil in the crankcase won't be thinned down from diesel dilution during re-generations.
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 13:30   #26
HiFlyer437

Well, that's what I figured, but your man there seems to say otherwise (not a dig; all advice welcomed!). I'm just exploring all options before I leave it at the side of the road and go back to Mercs...
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 15:45   #27
diro

Every case can be different...
We are discussing options what it can be. In most cases dpf is a reason.
Personally I would monitor live data but not everyone is capable to that
Critical data in such scenarios is dpf differential pressure readings, exhaust temperatures, oil pressure, status of dpf filter.
Very important figure is exhaust temperature which is about 150 - 200C. Sometimes a little higher. It depends on the driving style.
having even a little dpf clogging exhaust temperatures will be higher and it may cause high oil consumption. Condition of the engine and its components matters.
Thinner oil can be a factor too.
If you are a Greenpeace member - ignore my advice to delete dpf

As I mentioned before previous DPF issues could be a reason car has oil consumption problems now. With DPF fitted is more guessing than seeing an obvious fault.
A massive oil consumption also very likely is a consequences of the previous DPF issues when the harm to the engine been done

In my opinion to start solving such problems you need to delete DPF (it also has to be gutted). Than it will be more clear what comes out from the exhaust how car's performance changes etc.
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 23:09   #28
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by diro View Post
What is a mileage of your car mate?
And what grade of engine oil do you use?

It can be. Cleaned DPF is not the same as brand new. When DPF is reasonably clogged but still in operational regeneration condition the exhaust gases reach much higher temperatures nearly up to the limits where the engine itself have to work at higher temperatures too. Especially oil which gets thinner at those temperatures and you have high oil consumption. Besides burn oil debris accumulate and burn on the cylinder walls, piston rings, valves etc. Even a brand new turbo can burn engine oil dramatically because of the DPF.
Compression test is recommended and is a low cost procedure. Low compression can be a consequences of the DPF issues
For the higher mileage cars it would be better to use 5w30 engine oil instead of 0w50 which is thin.
5w30 will not do any harm to the engine. It even can be better. I have noticed a huge better difference to the engine performance, engine noise when switched from 0w30 to 5w30 for cars which made 80-100k miles and above.
There is no very low subzero temperatures in the UK so 0w30 is not essential.
I use 05 w30 mobile a5b5.

The DPF is not causing the oil burning, period.

the oil burning is clogging the DPF.

I agree a compression test but I have the option of swopping the PCV valve so I am going to look at that tomorrow.

really like to know if the rings can be changed without removing engine, I figuew if the sump can come off can you access the ends of the con rods from underneath....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 00:40   #29
diro

I will not argue anymore about the DPF. Only will mention I deal with DPF and car remaps almost every weekend thats including car diagnostics etc.

You didnt tell what is a mileage of the car?
Maybe injector problem? Its enough 1 injector to overfuel and you have a problem - oil gets diluted with diesel and burns quicker...

Anyway I leave it with you.
Wish you good luck finding a fault and sorting it out. I know its a big pain
You should have access to the piston rings when sump is dropped.
The Following User Says Thank You to diro For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 09:54   #30
jamie1131

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on with changing the PCV and if it makes any improvement.

I'm absolutely certain the DPF isn't the root cause. Its very unlikely that oil dilution is a problem given how much fresh oil you are having to add.

Deleting the DPF isn't a good solution for anyone, for one thing its illegal and likely to void your MOT. Also in my view aftermarket remains are not a good idea but that's a bit off topic!

I'm now using about 2 litres in 600 miles so this problem is going to have to get sorted one way or another!