Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam belt replacement frequency

Views : 704

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2017, 14:46   #1
mikeodee

Default Cam belt replacement frequency

Any comments on cam belt failures
mikeodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 19:15   #2
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeodee View Post
Which engine?
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 16:54   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeodee View Post
I did some reasearch on how common cam belt failures are for V40's and unlike more modern Volvo engines, I could not find one example of genuine Volvo or German OEM spec parts failing within the normal service interval.

I would note that it's rare for a cam belt failure to be proceded by any type of symptom like a noisey tensioner AND if the aux belt fails it can move across and wipe out the cam belt.

How long a cam belt lasts depends more on the number of stop start cycles than total miles, BUT how long the tensioner lasts depends more on age, as the bearing can corrode.

I would stick to gen Volvo, Gates or Continental parts. The Gates kits that include the water pump seem to be good value. Conti only do the belts.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 06:39   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Yeah, second that. Ours is a genuine Volvo one, it was on the car when we bought it. I did try to replace it last year, but for some reason the replacement was too long. Never got 'round to sending it back, had to put the old one back on, and through a combination of circumstance and necessity it is still on! By now it must have gone twice as far as it's supposed to and for twice as long. And yes, I realise I'm pushing my luck. But it's testament to how good they are.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 19:23   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Mines just clicking over to 182,000 miles, and to my knowledge its never had a belt, there are bits and bobs in the service book which records stop in about '08 but no mention in there of it ever having one, im really taking the p*ss i know but it is on the to do list, so if it goes in the meantime then its nobodies stupid fault but my own.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 22:19   #6
Phandy

I gave in and changed the cambelt and aux belts at 150k a few weeks back. I rode my luck for a good year before deciding I needed to keep the car running another year.

Retired: Volvo S60 2003 2.O T
Phandy is offline   Reply With Quote