Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The National Rally & BKV - does it really exist ?

Views : 27164

Replies : 269

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2012, 22:24   #161
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Dan,So was anyone allowed later in the evening?
I didn't want to go over and be turned away.I did speak to one person today who said he and his partner walked into the tent and was asked if they had a ticket?If not then they would have to pay to be there.I was told"No prebooked ticket no access as it's fully booked.(EDIT)Not sure were I could find information regarding the later evening bit as information isn't always here to find,Blood out of a stone springs to mind Lol.

I do moan and groan but I also see that to change things how I would like means not sitting back and moaning but being more proactive and helping out.
I should try and be more proactive with my comments and not negative.
I'm sure I suggested the user name in the windscreen bit but I'm guilty of not getting round to it.I did once scribble my user name one year but haven't done lately.
Regards Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Jun 17th, 2012 at 22:26.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 23:21   #162
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Must Try Harder.

I have high expectations, and I was disappointed, the 700s and 900s were mixed together in one lineup when there was more than enough room for two distinct rows - no club officals were seen among the cars, and thus no photo opportunity for the 700-30.

If I hadn't made an effort to speak to anyone my wife and I would have been ignored - thanks to those who were sociable (Brian, Brodgar, Chesh, Doug, Graeme, Mark and a few others whose names I did not get).

Thank you to those for the comments about my article in Driver - positive feedback encourages one to keep making an effort.

The owners of the white 745, 2 x blue 745s and the gold 744 who didn't say hello...are you shy? And the white 744 that left early!

So my summary - must try harder, that's me, you and the VOC. That's if I can muster the enthusiasm to go to another event.

Glad to see Doug (744GLT) won the prize, best car in show as far as I was concerned: and I said that before he'd won.

I did have my forum name on my car - what was the point of that?

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 17th, 2012 at 23:28.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 23:44   #163
57RKL

My 7 yr old son and I had not booked. However we were welcomed into the busy marquee and seats found for us immediately. Naturally we couldn't eat as we hadn't booked, but were invited to have cheesecake later on which was great. The French dancing couple livened things up and the band was fantastic. It was my first first national and we were made very welcome. A big thanks to all involved especially the raffle Ladies.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:34   #164
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

A couple of quick comments...

The move to a "two day" event is a new development this year (and may or may not return next year). With hindsight, if you were only planning to come for the Saturday, I can see how you'd not be too happy with what you found.

Three factors made Saturday a bit of a damp squib. Firstly, the weather. Not a lot we can do about that. Secondly, the lack of members' cars. I think most people figured that the Sunday would be the bigger/better of the two days, and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy on that front. Thirdly, the lack of provision of club-sponsored attractions on the Saturday.

On that final point, I have a few thoughts, as I was directly involved. Those of us who were trying to add some extra features to the weekend were primarily caught out of the weather. I certainly wasn't treating Saturday as a setup day, and was expecting to have all of my stuff up and running by midday...but the weather soon put the brakes on that. Several people had their personal gazebos destroyed by the wind, and we had to abandon ship. Some more manly tents were borrowed at very short notice, but they arrived too late to save the Saturday from our point of view. Don't worry, we weren't very happy about this (to put it mildly) either, but you live and learn.

Arguably there still should have been more provided on the Saturday, and I think there was an element of hang-over from previous years (when it's always been a camping event all weekend, but only advertised as a show on the Sunday). Having said that, I know we weren't the only "attractions" struggling with the wind on-site, and it's possible, for example, that it wasn't safe for the bouncy castle to be up in wind that strong.

It's been a steep learning curve, and we have some useful stuff to take away for next year. Interesting that a few people have said they didn't feel welcome. I think the register keeper (or a suitable substitute) should be positioned with each model / group...although there still aren't enough bods to go around. Feel free to volunteer...! That's my first suggestion.

It's clear that the Saturday either needs to be improved, or dropped from the advertising. It wasn't *supposed* to be as spartan as it was, but it still should have been better.

There is going to be a discussion about what went well and what didn't, and what we can carry over to next year. I'd encourage you all to comment on what you did and didn't like...preferably constructively!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 13:03   #165
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

Prufrock.
So people would know it was you??
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:30   #166
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Did this post have a point - or are you stalking me?

Prufrock.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:34   #167
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

Prufrock.
Which post - yours or mine?
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:38   #168
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Did your post (have a point), hence the reason for quoting it.

Prufrock.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:40   #169
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

Prufrock.
Quote:

Quote:

Prufrock.
Quote:
Which post - yours or mine?

Quote:
Did your post (have a point), hence the reason for quoting it.

Prufrock.
You asked a question. I answered it.

Last edited by volvorocks; Jun 18th, 2012 at 14:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:58   #170
LordSVS
Volvo Geek

Rather disappointing reading all this. Seems a bit of a failure.

Hope to attend one in the future, and hopefully the weather will be good!

Scott