Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amplifier

Views : 474

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:09   #1
wendash

Default Amplifier

Good morning and one for the Audiophiles out there.

I am going to fit an Android unit that uses the empty centre speaker pocket and therefore removal/hiding of the existing audio system is not required. I know the factory amp can't be used for this but can I splice the new speaker outputs onto the existing speaker cables coming from the amp but leave the speakers plugged into the amp? Not sure if sending something back into the amp is a no-no! If that is ok, I should still get parking sensors/chimes sent from the amp?
Thanks for any advice.
wendash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 17:11   #2
Moose Test
Master Member

I think the short answer has to be no, assuming that you're not prepared to risk causing damage to one or both units.

Some designs and setups could allow for it but given that we don't know the specifics of either in this case, there's every possibility of failure, with that ranging from it not working as expected to inflicting permanent damage. Unless more is known about the nature of the output stage protection used, it's not ok to just say "it will be ok", imho. Output protection is typically designed to protect against transient reverse voltage and/or overcurrent, not sustained operation.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 19:11   #3
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Have you thought about feeding the line level output from your new unit into the aux input of the existing audio system? The fader controls on the new system wouldn't work but they would on the existing.

Is there a reason why you want to keep the existing amp? If not just disconnect or remove it and splice the output from your new system to the speaker wiring.

I would also say don't try and common the output of both amplifiers. Bridging amps requires knowledge of the output circuitry, it's not just a straight wire the outputs together.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 21:39   #4
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
Is there a reason why you want to keep the existing amp?
The OP says they wish to retain the parking sensor function, the tones for which are sent directly to the original amp via the the MOST-bus. However, this would also be the case if they were to use the AUX input as you suggest.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 08:39   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
The OP says they wish to retain the parking sensor function, the tones for which are sent directly to the original amp via the the MOST-bus.
I see, there must have been a change at some point. My rear parking sensors have a separate module with sounder behind the boot trim (MY 2010). The sensors were factory fitted.

Just had a quick look and there is a Connects2 module to retain the rear sensors if you disconnect the OEM radio.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 11:06   #6
wendash

Default Amp

Thanks all.
Unfortunately mine is one of the units without aux-in, which would make it much simpler.
I have a plan however. I will unplug the speaker connector at the amp and connect straight to the new HU but reconnect the dash centre speaker to the rear left speaker output of the amp (currently used by the PDC). I should retain PDC chimes but get them from the centre speaker.
I'll let you know how successful it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to wendash For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 15:29   #7
wendash

Default Update

Does indeed work.
Got a centre speaker off a breaker as wanted to use existing, unused loom and connector (could of cut off plug and used any old speaker though), de-pinned centre speaker from factory plug at amp and put into Rear Left speaker position on the new loom pass thru plug (taking out whatever was there before as not required).
Connected new loom socket (speaker pins were all in the incorrect positions so had to de-pin and change) to existing speaker plug and hey presto, fully working.
Now have the Android connected to original speakers and the parking sensors now output the the new centre speaker under the Android unit. Also means the old audio system of radio and CD still work although only out of the centre speaker.