Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers door won't lock

Views : 4182

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2015, 14:13   #1
Aegidius

Default Drivers door won't lock

Hi, I left the side lights on and flattened the battery on my V40. I used the key to manually open the drivers door and get in to get jump leads etc etc. now the drivers door won't lock, even when I try with the key. The remote central locking works on the rest of the car, but automatically unlocks when I open the drivers door handle because it stays unlocked.

Any help gratefully recieved.

thanks

A
Aegidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 14:21   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Try locking the drivers door with the key, turning it as far as it can go.

Then try unlocking it with the key, but this time turn the key slightly, until it engages the microswitch to unlock the car. Then, try locking the car with the fob and see if this works.

In general, the car can be locked electronically with the key when you turn it only slightly to engage the microswitch or it can lock mechanically when you turn the key all the way, which pushes down the rod that engages the lock.In your case, since your battery was dead, you had to mechanically lock the door which can sometimes cause this problem.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2015, 21:13   #3
ijmorrison

I have this on my v40 .... i sit in the car with a small pair of plies and activate the unlock button .. when the lock thingy on the door pops up grab it in the pliers (takes a few goes .. also helps to remove the ring round the bottom).

Now ensure you have a good grip and pull the lock thingy straight up .. you should feel / hear a clunk and hey presto it now works !

Iain
ijmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ijmorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 21:32   #4
roydeano

Very useful discussion. This has happened to me recently. I have been driving around unable to lock the driver's door on my 18.6 years old Volvo V40. I had taken out the battery to give more space to replace headlight bulbs. Key fob was in my pocket. I closed the car bonnet, not having put the battery back in position. I had left the car unlocked but as it is prone to do, the car had automatically locked itself. Agh!!! I could not open the car automatically as the battery was not connected! Panic! With great relief I opened the driver's door manually with the key. However the door will now no longer lock but the rest of the doors will, with central locking.
Tomorrow, I shall try the advice of ijmorrison and gatos. I shall keep you posted. Roy Dean
roydeano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roydeano For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 08:36   #5
Goco6449

Default And guess what lol

Read this and thought I'd check mine low and behold car locks but you can open driver's door luckily alarm initiates lol.
Thanks for thread now sorted out lol.
Goco6449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 11:16   #6
roydeano

Okay folks, I have sorted it. I tried the Gatos method and no success. I understood the ijmorrison suggestion with the use of pliers but decided to be brave and go a step further. I watched a video online of a guy removing the door panel on a volvo v40 and it did not look too difficult. So I unscrewed all the holding points and found I did not have to detach the electrical box serving the window opener, door opener and side mirror adjustments. I could pull the door panel out by a couple of inches and have perfect access to the black plastic lug that pops up and down when the door is opened and closed. The lug was stuck in the DOWN position but this was not locked, it was open.
With pliers I pulled the lug up and felt the release of the mechanism. Everything had returned to normal, opening and closing and importantly, LOCKING was working again. Carefully put the panel back in position, making sure that the black lug can go up and down through the hole. Make sure you re-insert the ring around the lug to keep the lug free to go up and down smoothly. Enjoyed fixing this problem.
My car is a Volvo V40 1600 cc, purchased new on 27 July 2001 from Stratstone Volvo, Bristol Street, Birmingham. Have done 144300 miles. Registration Y402 BOK.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 11:21   #7
roydeano

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegidius View Post
Hi, I left the side lights on and flattened the battery on my V40. I used the key to manually open the drivers door and get in to get jump leads etc etc. now the drivers door won't lock, even when I try with the key. The remote central locking works on the rest of the car, but automatically unlocks when I open the drivers door handle because it stays unlocked.

thanks

A
AEGIDIUS......Did you fix it? Which method did you employ? Would be helpful to know......
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 18:31   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I've had this in all 3 of my S/V40's and when you can't lock the driver's door via the key or fob the best workaround I've found (short of replacing the offending component) is to:

1. Ensure the doors are unlocked so the other three buttons are "up", the

2. Pull the driver's button up with some pliers or a multi-tool to re-set it.

I've found that it will then start locking again & if you lift the drivers door handle when the car's locked that won't instantly open the door.

Sidenote: this problem NEVER happens when my wife locks or unlocks the driver's door, only when I do it! She said I unlock it too quickly and, funnily enough, when I unlock it S-L-O-W-L-Y then, yes, I don't have a problem with the lock and the button rises and falls as it should.

So perhaps being more gentle might help you guys too!
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 14:14   #9
Robert lark

Default drivers door locking problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegidius View Post

thanks

A
I had same problem, all I done was take off plastic lug on top of door panel. And with longnose pliers pulled up the lever, sorted out door locks and unlocking like should be, 10second fix..
Robert lark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert lark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 08:51   #10
dooralarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijmorrison View Post
I have this on my v40 .... i sit in the car with a small pair of plies and activate the unlock button .. when the lock thingy on the door pops up grab it in the pliers (takes a few goes .. also helps to remove the ring round the bottom).

Now ensure you have a good grip and pull the lock thingy straight up .. you should feel / hear a clunk and hey presto it now works !

Iain
Thank you for your advice. My car, a 2004 V40, and now 19 years old, has been cured on your tips.
dooralarm is offline   Reply With Quote