Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 accelerating by itself

Views : 3215

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2015, 22:19   #1
Daveboy

Default XC90 accelerating by itself

Does anyone know of any faults which could result in my XC90 accelerating by itself? It's a 2011 D5 200 Active with Auto box, and in immaculate condition with around 22000 miles on the clock. We had problems a few months ago with the DPF warning coming on which wouldn't clear. Around this time there were a couple of occasions where the car accelerated by itself with my wife battling to hold it back using the brakes. The dealer did a forced regen to clear the DPF and after I picked it up, on the way home, it started accelerating again. It was a nightmare trying to control it in busy traffic, and I had to brake fairly hard to hold it back. Got an engine service warning at the same time. When I put it into neutral the engine was revving up and down by itself. I turned the engine off and on but it was the same, eventually it stopped and I managed to drive home in limp mode. Went back to the dealer who replaced a couple of sensors, and that seemed to sort it.

That was a few months ago and I thought it was all fixed but today when driving it started accelerating by itself again. Changing from neutral back to drive seemed to get rid of it and there were no warning messages this time. Not had any DPF problems recently either.

Any ideas what this could be? My wife doesn't feel safe driving this car any more and if I can't get this sorted the car will have to go, which would be a shame as its a nice car!

Thanks.

Last edited by Daveboy; Mar 28th, 2015 at 22:22. Reason: Typo
Daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 22:26   #2
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Sounds terrifying and I'd have it back to the dealership to sort it once and for all or report to Volvo UK or the DVSA https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 22:31   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboy View Post
Does anyone know of any faults which could result in my XC90 accelerating by itself? It's a 2011 D5 200 Active with Auto box, and in immaculate condition with around 22000 miles on the clock. We had problems a few months ago with the DPF warning coming on which wouldn't clear. Around this time there were a couple of occasions where the car accelerated by itself with my wife battling to hold it back using the brakes. The dealer did a forced regen to clear the DPF and after I picked it up, on the way home, it started accelerating again. It was a nightmare trying to control it in busy traffic, and I had to brake fairly hard to hold it back. Got an engine service warning at the same time. When I put it into neutral the engine was revving up and down by itself. I turned the engine off and on but it was the same, eventually it stopped and I managed to drive home in limp mode. Went back to the dealer who replaced a couple of sensors, and that seemed to sort it.

That was a few months ago and I thought it was all fixed but today when driving it started accelerating by itself again. Changing from neutral back to drive seemed to get rid of it and there were no warning messages this time. Not had any DPF problems recently either.

Any ideas what this could be? My wife doesn't feel safe driving this car any more and if I can't get this sorted the car will have to go, which would be a shame as its a nice car!

Thanks.
what is the engine oil level showing on the dipstick?

what happened when you put it in " N " I would guess the revs went sky high ?
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 22:37   #4
Daveboy

Haven't checked the oil level, will have a look tomorrow. It should be ok as the car still gets serviced at dealer, and when it goes in for anything else they (supposedly) check all the fluid levels. When I changed it in to neutral the revs did shoot up but I put it back into drive quite quickly. When this happened before and I put it in to neutral the revs did shoot up but it was revving up and down consistently by itself.

Last edited by Daveboy; Mar 28th, 2015 at 23:17.
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 22:53   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboy View Post
Haven't checked the oil level, will have a look tomorrow. It should be ok as the car still gets serviced at dealer, and when it goes in for anything else these (supposedly) check all the fluid levels. When I changed it in to neutral the revs did shoot up but I put it back into drive quite quickly. When this happened before and I put it in to neutral the revs did shoot up but it was revving up and down consistently by itself.
It is vital the oil level is only 2/3 up the XXXXXX section of the dipstick , oil level can RISE on it's own if regeneration is faulty .. also a faulty turbocharger can discharge oil into the inlet or exhaust system ... causing similar symptoms , but very rare .. if it discharges into the exhaust the only symptom is lots of smoke ! Did you get any smoke?
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 23:01   #6
Daveboy

No haven't had any smoke, but I'll check the oil level in the morning and report back. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 08:57   #7
A lex
Premier Member

It does sound like the symptoms of a runaway diesel, but if that were the case i'd have expected the engine to have eaten itself by now!

If the oil level is anywhere above 2/3rd full, then this is where id be starting. Total crap if the dealer hasnt picked up on it (if thats the case), as the rising oil levels on the euro4 D5 are widely known and the 2/3 oil solution is an official Volvo fix.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 10:30   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Sounds terrifying and I'd have it back to the dealership to sort it once and for all or report to Volvo UK or the DVSA https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect
+++1

If it happens again - shove it into Neutral and turn the engine off immediately by turning the key to position "I" so the steering doesn't lock - if the engine stops then I think you have an issue with engine management/fuel injection system. If the engine continues to surge then you have problem with the turbo leaking lubricating oil into the inlet tract or too much oil as Clan suggested. If you choose to do this - take great care as if the engine does stop you will have no power assistance with the steering or brakes... probably best to stop the car first.

Personally I would send the car back to the dealer (assuming you still have some warranty) and refuse to take it back. It must have been a very frightening experience for your wife, and there is always the risk that if it happens again it could have "front page of the nationals" consequences. I'm not a lawyer but I would be mindful of my own risk and liability, driving a car with an unresolved fault that can cause sudden, un-commanded acceleration.

As Bobdabuilda said get straight on to Volvo - surely a manufacturer who leads the way in safety will jump on this? If they don't - don't be shy about threatening to call Watchdog...
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 10:33   #9
The Mad Rapper

Your car needs to go in to the Dealer immediately and don't accept it back until it's fixed. That issue has the potential to kill someone.

Rolf Aldag
The Mad Rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 18:07   #10
Daveboy

Checked the oil level today. The level is 3/4 of the way up the XXXX... section. i.e. it is sitting between the 2nd and 3rd X from the top. I'm guessing this is ok?

I'm going to get on the phone to Volvo customer service in the morning, and probably submit a report to the DVSA.