Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 buying advice?

Views : 3911

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 15:56   #31
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
So over the weekend we went to view our first XC70 - it was a 2013 D5 Geartronic with 79k miles in Silver.

Overall it was a tidy car - but I felt at £12,295 it was perhaps a little bit on the expensive side.

First thing I noticed, the suspension felt quite bouncy - it wasn't wallowy at all, and felt firm over small bumps, but at speed over a bumpy road it felt mote bouncy than I expected!! My first thought was shocks, but as this is the first XC70 we had driven, I wondered if this is par for the course?

Our 9-5 Aero felt like a go kart in comparison and that is far from being the sharpest car on our drive!

It also had quite a loud squeak from the suspension, not all the time but would be set off by bumps and seemed to be coming from rear suspension.

But the main thing that surprised me was that the dealer said it needed the angle gear replacing. Now I remember reading lots about this with the P2 cars, but didn't realise it was still a problem with the P3 cars.

Is this a common problem with the P3's? If so, I will budget for it for any I look at.

Other fault that cropped up on the test drive was it thumping into Drive once warm. I had a similar fault on our 9-5 which was due to a worn front torque mount, but I gather this can be an oil or software problem?

Overall, it was a really nice car with a few minor issues - but it wasn't quite tidy enough for the price so the hunt continues!
I wouldn’t buy a used car with declared but un-repaired faults. There might be other faults that the seller also knows about but has kept quiet about because they’re not immediately obvious.

In short the sticker price could be just the start of your expenditure.

You did well to walk away.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 17:22   #32
Hallsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
I wouldn’t buy a used car with declared but un-repaired faults. There might be other faults that the seller also knows about but has kept quiet about because they’re not immediately obvious.

In short the sticker price could be just the start of your expenditure.

You did well to walk away.
The dealer was up front about the fault straight away, the car is booked in to have it replaced this week. I could not detect any noise from the rear myself, but he told me had heard it clicking on tight turns so had it booked in to our local gearbox rebuild workshop who suggested it would be a rear transfer box problem.

I just wondered if this transfer box/bevel gear problem was still common in the P3 cars, or just luck of the draw. I gather it was very common on the P2 cars.
Hallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 19:29   #33
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
The dealer was up front about the fault straight away, the car is booked in to have it replaced this week. I could not detect any noise from the rear myself, but he told me had heard it clicking on tight turns so had it booked in to our local gearbox rebuild workshop who suggested it would be a rear transfer box problem.

I just wondered if this transfer box/bevel gear problem was still common in the P3 cars, or just luck of the draw. I gather it was very common on the P2 cars.
Sorry. Scanned your post. I thought that you were going to budget for the repairs to that car. Oops!
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 19:39   #34
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
So over the weekend we went to view our first XC70 - it was a 2013 D5 Geartronic with 79k miles in Silver.

Overall it was a tidy car - but I felt at £12,295 it was perhaps a little bit on the expensive side.

First thing I noticed, the suspension felt quite bouncy - it wasn't wallowy at all, and felt firm over small bumps, but at speed over a bumpy road it felt mote bouncy than I expected!! My first thought was shocks, but as this is the first XC70 we had driven, I wondered if this is par for the course?

Our 9-5 Aero felt like a go kart in comparison and that is far from being the sharpest car on our drive!

It also had quite a loud squeak from the suspension, not all the time but would be set off by bumps and seemed to be coming from rear suspension.

But the main thing that surprised me was that the dealer said it needed the angle gear replacing. Now I remember reading lots about this with the P2 cars, but didn't realise it was still a problem with the P3 cars.

Is this a common problem with the P3's? If so, I will budget for it for any I look at.

Other fault that cropped up on the test drive was it thumping into Drive once warm. I had a similar fault on our 9-5 which was due to a worn front torque mount, but I gather this can be an oil or software problem?

Overall, it was a really nice car with a few minor issues - but it wasn't quite tidy enough for the price so the hunt continues!
Out of curiosity, is there a reason that you’ve opted for an XC70 and not a V70?

Also, have you ruled out an XC70 DrivE? The style and ride height are the same as for the 4WD version, but the 2WD mechanicals are far less complex and less costly to maintain. Prices are also a little lower.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:05   #35
Hallsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a reason that you’ve opted for an XC70 and not a V70?

Also, have you ruled out an XC70 DrivE? The style and ride height are the same as for the 4WD version, but the 2WD mechanicals are far less complex and less costly to maintain. Prices are also a little lower.
We are looking at the XC70 mostly due to the surrounding roads being a bit ropey since we moved earlier this year, also the slightly softer ride and increased ride height will be welcome!

Tbh, I have not considered anything less than a D5, based on performance. Previous cars that have filled this spot on the drive were 850 T5, 850 R, mapped Impreza WRX hatch and currently a Saab 9-5 Aero.

In fact my partner commented that the D5 felt a bit lacking compared to the Saab, but I feel that a lot of that is down to the throttle mapping/response being a bit softer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hallsy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 10:08   #36
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If you can run to a Polestar upgrade, your partner might well change her mind about the D5. However, at the moment there seems to be some sort of nationwide problem getting a Polestar upgrade as Volvo dealers are having problems making the necessary computer connection to download it.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 13:05   #37
Hallsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If you can run to a Polestar upgrade, your partner might well change her mind about the D5. However, at the moment there seems to be some sort of nationwide problem getting a Polestar upgrade as Volvo dealers are having problems making the necessary computer connection to download it.
To be fair, the D5 has a fair bit more torque so I suspect a lot of it was the difference in throttle mapping/response - the D5 probably just needed more of a prod. I also didn't think to try the gearbox in S.

Either way, it just confirmed our suspicions that it will be a D5 - but yes, a Polestar map would be on the agenda!
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 13:28   #38
george57l
George

For what it's worth I had a D5 V70 and T6 Polestar XC70. Obviously the petrol Polestar is rather more nimble (to say the least), but I never had any complaint about lack of nippiness in the D5. You just need to prod the accelerator pretty robustly.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 06:33   #39
Hallsy

Just a quick one guys, was the 54k aux belt service a Volvo official interval or is something that has been recommended or picked up by experience of failure?

I have one I am looking to buy, it has full stamped history with Mill Volvo, Harrogate - but doesn't have the itemised service records/invoices.

The car has done 86k, so wondering if this would have been covered by the Volvo services or whether I need to factor in getting it done?
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 07:48   #40
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Just a quick one guys, was the 54k aux belt service a Volvo official interval or is something that has been recommended or picked up by experience of failure?

I have one I am looking to buy, it has full stamped history with Mill Volvo, Harrogate - but doesn't have the itemised service records/invoices.

The car has done 86k, so wondering if this would have been covered by the Volvo services or whether I need to factor in getting it done?
Phone Mill Volvo and find out when it was done. They'll tell you that.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: