Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie MK1 V70 T5 owner - MEGA mileage!

Views : 1049

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2020, 21:24   #1
NewbieV70T5

Default Newbie MK1 V70 T5 owner - MEGA mileage!

Hey all,

Quick hello, got my first Volvo this week, a manual 1998 V70 T5 with...wait for it....263K!

The current owner had the vehicle for 12 years, purchasing it from its one and only other owner, his father in law. Full Volvo main dealer history until 240K (service book lost) and local garage since.

It's in that lovely dark olive green with beige leather and wood.

It had been sat on the owners drive for 2 years covered in moss etc, so I gave it a really good clean over the last two days and am simply amazed; I've owned hundreds of cars but I've never, ever seen anything to defy mileage like this. Not a mark on the interior leather or switchgear, hardly a stonechip, no a spec of rust anywhere and everything works. Honestly, after a good machine polish I think it could get away with 80k! Are these cars THAT bulletproof??

New battery on, fired into life, no tappet noise, smoke or anything. Simply unreal! And its a manual.

I have some questions:

1 - What oil do I use?? Some of the early Volvo receipts show Castrol SLX pro, but the local garage have been using 10W40 which I'm assuming is the correct spec. Should I stick with this or go to something like 10W60 because of the mileage?

2 - What turbo do these run? I am assuming its life is limited now and would like to secure a replacement. Which do I need and where from? I noticed some cheapies on eBay...

3 - I'm after a nice exhaust for it, what do you recommend?

4 - My 16" 205/50/16 alloys need new tyres but I'd rather the 17" wheels from the R or the 850 R. Anyone got a nice set of wheels for cheap?

5 - What's going to go bang on it? Lol. I hope you all say nothing and that the engine won't fail!

6 - The only spot of rust I have is on the bootlid where the number plate screw has let water in. It would be easier to replace the bootlid. Are there any Volvo breakers I could secure a green bootlid, or do they all rust there?

7 - Timing belt is well overdue! I can find a Gates kit online with the pump, anyone on here save me a bit of money and competent enough to change? I'm in Essex.

Staggered by the quality of this car, it's blown me away!

Advice appreciated guys.

Ray
NewbieV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 21:29   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

263k it's Normal for a Volvo.Don't mean to bust your bubble or anything but it's not Intergalactic by Volvo standards.. Hey I'd say it's only just run in.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:22   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

^^^WHS^^^ nice low-mileage example you've got there, by the sound of it. Welcome to the world of Volvo!

The original spec of oil was 10/40, so use that. Change it frequently (say, every 5,000) and it'll do another 300k miles no bother.

Turbo - last well on these, best bet if it does give up is to simply get it refurbished, but personally i'd save my money and wait until (if) it ever gives problems.
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:45   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It sounds like you've found a good one!

I can't speak for the T5 with any authority but with regard to the exhaust, there's a fair chance it's still on the original factory fitted one. I believe these were a high quality stainless steel exhaust. My 1998 V70 Tdi is certainly still on the original after 227,000 miles. I think the petrol models were fitted with an exhaust of similar quality too

The weak point is the exhaust hanger near the tailpipe which does rust but a repair kit is readily available.

If it is still the original exhaust, I'd be very tempted to stick with it unless there's a good reason not to.

When I bought the V70 in 2002 I remember looking and thinking that some of the exhaust looked a bit rough and would need replacing before too long. 18 years later it doesn't really look any different.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 23:32   #5
NewbieV70T5

Thanks all, good info!

It's gone in today for all new brake discs and pads and a service plus an MOT.

Is it a TD04 turbo on these?

Thanks

Ray
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 10:23   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

All sounds good Ray

From my point of view every 5k 10/40 semi oil and filter change, cam belt at 70k or 7 years, coolant sensor and thermostat and ensure heater matrix fully functional are probably the items which if in order will keep your gal running for several if not many years

Good to see somebody local - I am Forest Gate on holiday at the moment and if I had the time which I do not ) would have gladly given yoo a hand changing the cam belt - not difficult if yoo have all the kit and have experienced the hassles I have with 3 changes on 3 separate beasts in recent years !

Best of luck and if you need a code read I have VOL FCR so just message me

Paul
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 11:55   #7
Martin Cox
VOC Member

If it's a 1998 V70, there's a fair chance that the 850 OBD 2 app for Android phone together with a suitable dongle will work for reading codes. It works very well with my 1998 V70. There's no iPhone version though.

The earlier V70s weren't fully OBD2 compliant and generic code readers may not return anything useful.

There have been several recent threads about this app and a few minutes searching on this forum may prove rewarding.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi auto 227,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 16:45   #8
NewbieV70T5

Thanks all, thanks Paul. I can await your return reference belt?

And low and behold, it looks like the clutch is slipping under boost!

I have never witnessed so many variations of clutch!!

What on earth do I need? And any recommendation as to who can change?
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 21:59   #9
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Ray not a problem give me a call Sunday if yoo wish to have a chat

If my recently ( and very sadly ) sold 850 T5 is anything to go by I would not worry immediately about the clutch, when they begin to slip or become weak on the plates they will do tens of thousands of miles before failing

If I were yoo I would sort the cam belt as a priority with genuine Volvo or Gates belt genuine roller tensioner and haudraluc tensioner. Locally Steve at Trust Car Parts part of Sentinel on 7 sisters road is very good but can be terribly unreliable at responding to emails - mailed him 3 x in past week as need parts For MOT on my Saffy - still await reply !

You want a single mass flywheel if poss but my knowledge of clutches is limited - when the legendary PNUTT responds to your thread he will tell you all you nee£ to know !
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 22:03   #10
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And as for proper mechanics as opposed to those who can only plug in a code reader I have found Danny at Langthorne Services in Leytonstone and john Simmons in Wickford to be out of the top drawer