Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 S40 1.8 petrol automatic stalling after starting

Views : 814

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2020, 17:15   #11
Ltom
940 Wagoner

Gatos yes I did that. It's properly adjusted but doesn't help. I tried opening it more but to prevent the car stalling the throttle needs to be about 1/4 open.

I got a code reader today and got the following codes twice (before and after reset):

P0138 9 Oxygen sensor high voltge (Bank 1, sensor 2)
P0602 Control Module Programming Error
P1500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent

Could a lambda sensor cause this issue? If does anyone know whether Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the front or rear lambda sensor?
Ltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 18:26   #12
magnuz
Ancient

Oxygen sensor 2 is usually the one after the cat, normally,it's only job is to monitor the exhaust gas after the cat to check the cat is working properly.
It doesn't normally make any adjustments, so doesn't usually cause running problems, but to throw up the code, it's probably faulty anyway ? .

The other two fault codes are probably related to control module issues on the auto transmission ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 19:25   #13
Ltom
940 Wagoner

Thanks for the reply Magnuz. So it sounds like the oxygen sensor probably isn't causing the stalling.

Do you know where the speed sensor is on the auto transmission? The rpm gauge works fine, does that come from another sensor?
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 21:51   #14
magnuz
Ancient

I'm not very familiar with the auto box versions, but have a look around the gearbox for any sensors or modules, etc. check the wiring & connectors to any sensors.
Is the engine stalling in neutral, or only when drive is selected ?

Vehicle speed sensor, ...going by it's name, may be more to do with vehicle speed, rather than engine speed ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:16   #15
Ltom
940 Wagoner

So I had a poke around, unplugged and checked connection on a few sensors connected to the engine. Then I cleared the codes and the engine started fine.

I took it on a test drive and the car performed much better (smooth shifts), started without stalling, and the error codes didn't re-appear.

Still a mystery, I'll give it a few days and see if/when the light comes back on and what the codes are. Because of the seemingly random nature of the symptoms I think it's electronic/electrical. Either a faulty sensor, sensor connection, or ECU fault. Which one exactly I'll keep investigating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 15:56   #16
Ltom
940 Wagoner

UPDATE

I narrowed it down to the MAF in the end. I replaced it with a used Volvo one. If someone is reading this because they have the same problem then this is exactly what I did.

Buy a used volvo MAF off fleabay (I bought the whole airbox for £15).
You need an OBDII reader. I used a generic one that looks like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scanner-Ada...dp/B07883V8KC/
You also need an app (like Torque pro) to reset the codes through the reader.

Replace the MAF with the new one. Plug in the OBD2 reader. The reader will only work properly when the ignition is in the ON position (the most clockwise position before it cranks). You can't reset the codes properly if the engine is running. Use an app like Torque pro to reset the codes and that should fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltom For This Useful Post: