Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo engine in a 760?

Views : 513

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 19:14   #1
360beast
I'm addicted to my 360
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default Turbo engine in a 760?

Has anyone converted a V6 760 to a redblock turbo before?

I've taken in a V6 760 with blown headgaskets and it is a bit rough around the edges. The engine is going to be stripped for bits for a forum member but I don't think this 760 should be fully broken. I have a 1998 940 turbo I'm breaking so I was thinking I could combine the two in to one car.

Has anyone done this before and if so what is involved?

I'm guessing

Exhaust
Engine
Gearbox
Interior trim
Lh2.4 wiring
Throttle and kickdown cable
Power steering lines and pump
Intercooler
Radiator
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 20:15   #2
volvo always
Premier Member
 
volvo always's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:41
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midlands.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Has anyone converted a V6 760 to a redblock turbo before?

I've taken in a V6 760 with blown headgaskets and it is a bit rough around the edges. The engine is going to be stripped for bits for a forum member but I don't think this 760 should be fully broken. I have a 1998 940 turbo I'm breaking so I was thinking I could combine the two in to one car.

Has anyone done this before and if so what is involved?

I'm guessing

Exhaust
Engine
Gearbox
Interior trim
Lh2.4 wiring
Throttle and kickdown cable
Power steering lines and pump
Intercooler
Radiator
Should be very do-able as the early 760 had the turbo lump 2.3 in intercooler form from the factory.
I believe the early 760 2.3 turbo had the thinner 9mm con rods. A late 940 should have 13mm con rods?

The old 760 turbo 2.3 I believe produced around 200HP. Had Turbo Intercooler boot badges.

Sounds a good project, especially if the body is good.

James.
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 21:02   #3
360beast
I'm addicted to my 360
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Should be very do-able as the early 760 had the turbo lump 2.3 in intercooler form from the factory.
I believe the early 760 2.3 turbo had the thinner 9mm con rods. A late 940 should have 13mm con rods?

The old 760 turbo 2.3 I believe produced around 200HP. Had Turbo Intercooler boot badges.

Sounds a good project, especially if the body is good.

James.
Early 760 turbo had a B23ET (forged internals I believe) 86 onwards had a B230ET with the 9mm rods (I've got one sat at my parents house) with the 531 head. They produced 182hp with a garrett T3 turbo (I have one for my 940). I have broken two 760 turbos back in my teenage years, I even have the turbo intercooler badge to fit

I'm imagining this could be a straight forward swap especially given my parts horde!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 21:17   #4
volvo always
Premier Member
 
volvo always's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:41
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midlands.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Early 760 turbo had a B23ET (forged internals I believe) 86 onwards had a B230ET with the 9mm rods (I've got one sat at my parents house) with the 531 head. They produced 182hp with a garrett T3 turbo (I have one for my 940). I have broken two 760 turbos back in my teenage years, I even have the turbo intercooler badge to fit

I'm imagining this could be a straight forward swap especially given my parts horde!
Sounds ideal!

Could you combine the 530 head with the 98 turbo bottom end with garrett T3 turbo? Or just fit the standard B230ET. Did the late turbo B230FK/H engine gain piston oil squirters?

Something around 250HP would be nice!

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Jul 28th, 2020 at 21:23.
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 21:34   #5
360beast
I'm addicted to my 360
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default

I will be using a 1998 147k mile B230FK with the 13c turbo, the one T3 is for my 940 and the complete ET engine is for my 360.

1994 redblocks got oil squirters.

I'd do a MBC but other than that nothing else as I will be selling the car afterwards.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 00:05   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins
 
classicswede's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 14:13
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anglesey
Default

you might need to change the front crossmember

Fitting a redblock is about the best thing you can do with a 760
__________________
www.classicswede.co.uk
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 00:16   #7
Cromlech
Member
 
Cromlech's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 25th, 2020 17:50
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gloucester
Default

Good luck with her, I'm happy to she is being put to good use now, instead of rotting on my drive!

:-D
Cromlech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cromlech For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 07:07   #8
360beast
I'm addicted to my 360
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
you might need to change the front crossmember

Fitting a redblock is about the best thing you can do with a 760
I thought that might be the case as the power steering lines etc will be different.

Haha you'll upset Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromlech View Post
Good luck with her, I'm happy to she is being put to good use now, instead of rotting on my drive!

:-D
When it arrived I was a bit wary but it is so solid underneath I don't think I could break it other than the engine bits. It won't happen until I have finished off the engine donor, moved a V90 to its buyer and maybe even broke my Fabia VRS as nobody seems to want to buy that but it should only take a few weeks with the two days a week I get to work on cars now.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 08:17   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister
 
loki_the_glt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 10:05
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard, Cheshire
Default

Be aware that the B23ET NEEDS high-octane fuel; I was given one that had been run on unleaded and was not happy.

I pulled the head, as compression was weak on number 1 and found a holed piston.
__________________
loki_the_glt - Skipper of the Exxon Valdez, driver of Sweden's finest sporting saloon - and pining for another Slant-4.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 08:38   #10
360beast
I'm addicted to my 360
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Be aware that the B23ET NEEDS high-octane fuel; I was given one that had been run on unleaded and was not happy.

I pulled the head, as compression was weak on number 1 and found a holed piston.
I wonder if the B230ET needs it too?

Amazing how much damage a little less octane can do.

BTW I used your code reader for the first time yesterday and diagnosed a potentially faulty MAF on my mates 940 so I've given him three to fit and see if any make a difference, so thank you again for the code reader!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:42.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.