Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another scrapyard buy

Views : 1585

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2020, 20:08   #1
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Default Another scrapyard buy

Over at my mates scrapyard this morning, he tells me there is a volvo estate just come in. Off I tootle for the rare lesser spotted luggage cover.
Bugger its an 850 tdi. NO luggage cover.
Bit rough, but fortunately hadn't had its fluids drained so I could take it for a spin. Drove perfectly!
Anyhoo. Nipped out for fish and chips came back and during a rather good lunch I asked how much.
" Nick has just cut the cat off, £180 with the alloys of you take the lot.

So of course I bought it, will get a good look around it next weekend, to decide if it will be cost effective to put it on the road or break it for spares. Is there much on these that fetch money ( should it come to that)?
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 21:27   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Talking

Probably the Cat!

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 22:29   #3
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Not really.Im looking for an Autobox but again not worth much more than it's weight in scrap.
You might make a bit if you fancy breaking it and dealing with all the"Have you got this bit of plastic and I'm after a wiper blade brigade " and charge 50pence for it.
You could keep it as a parts car for your own 70 diesel though.Some bits are interchangeable depending on what year your V70 is.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 23:02   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

If you get it for £200 you can typically make £500 in profit on it with a few weeks and a LOT of patience with time-wasting parties. If its a base spec you'll clear less than that, if its a GLT or CD with options you might make a bit more.

Strut brace is around £100 worth of value, alloys in good nick will get you another hundred for a full set. Full seat interior, if leather, will sell for around £100 if mint. Rips or tears will drop that by £10-20 per tear. Third row seat (seat, boot floor, seatbelts, associated trims) will normally get you £80. If rust free each wing can normally be sold for between £100-150. Price on those plummet to worthless if even vaguely crusty. Doors and tailgates go for around £40-50 if in good condition, £30 if not. Bumpers can be around £100-200 if you can wait months for the right buyer looking for the right colour. After that the next big items are stereo (£30-80 depending on what it is) and tool rolls (£15). Almost everything else is sub-£15.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 10:52   #5
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

It does have a nice set of columba alloys which I will be keeping. One of the wings is very crusty. ( I'm assuming as I didn't remove the gaffer tape.) and some badly executed filler in the rear arches. Still moted till December. I may get my mechanic to have a look round to see what it needs for an mot. May even be worth buying an after market cat and running it.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 16:01   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

If it is a TDI it won't be a cat....

I have a genuine front down pipe in my loft!

They are just soot filter types of things to annoy us cyclists when old diesels overtake us
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 15:08   #7
amazondean
amazondean

It might be worth trying to save it. There are very few 850 estate diesels left on the road these days. I can't remember the last time i saw one for sale! Would be nice to see some pictures of it when you get chance.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 17:25   #8
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Another vote for saving it if at all practical. There are very few of them left now.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 10:35   #9
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

https://ibb.co/1083zRT
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 10:40   #10
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

My delivery has arrived. £200 with delivery.
Drives perfectly, everything seems to work fine, as far as my untrained eye can tell it needs a wing a section of exhaust and the hand brake adjusting.
Interior is OK, it's peasant spec.
Definately worth saving in my opinion, we will have to see what my mechanic says when he comes round later