Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery drain?

Views : 652

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 21:35   #1
Volvo6
Master Member

Default Battery drain?

What is a realistic amount of time for a V70 to be left before the battery goes flat?

I’m finding I’m not not driving my V70R these days much and struggle to drive it enough to give the battery a good charge. Ideally I’d put it on a charger it’s not always convenient with other cars in the garage etc. Just wondering how long, with a healthy and charged battery it should be possible to leave the car before it goes flat?

I have a few similarly aged cars and seem to suffer less with drain. For example my dads 97 T5 seems to be able to sit for longer, my BMW E36 can go for weeks without being started (although the alarm is disconnected and it has a very large battery), even the Range Range P38 will go a couple of weeks with no issue, but the R struggles after a week or so!

Not done any drain tests yet but just wondering what is realistic from peoples’ experience?
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:25   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

My V70 will go at least a month as will my Omega,just at present my 960 will not go 5 days but tests have shown that's the battery that's on its last legs.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:38   #3
4x4
Premier Member

I recently spoke to the original owner's son about my 850 and he mentioned it suffered from battery drain and would need looking at. I think because they kept the car unused for many months at a time the battery just drained and died. There are several receipts for replacement batteries throughout their ownership.

I've left the car unused for 4 weeks and not had any problems and now that it's off the road for the winter I'll put the CTEK on every couple of weeks for a few hours to top it up
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:03   #4
turboboy
Master Member

Default Battery Drain

Presuming that the battery is OK (around 12.6v at rest) then it could well be a "parasitic draw" from a faulty component.

I have had this on a number of my cars including the V70 (front passenger door light not turning off when shutting the door); BMW E46 (alarm); BMW X5 (aftermarket reverse camera combined with a faulty new battery; VW Golf (alarm).

For the Golf I bought a couple of meters to measure the current draw (Amps) through the fuses. (Had to buy two due to two sizes of fuze). The procedure was replace one fuse at a time with one of the meters and place the meter on the dash so that it could be read from outside when the car was locked. Left the car overnight to give the electronics time to shut down (some cars do not immediately close down when locked and can take 15-20 minutes to self check).

Went through the whole of the fusebox over a couple of weeks to the point that I only had the alarm circuit left, tucked away underneath the dash and difficult to reach with the fuses secured in place by plastic tie wraps. Just pulled these fuses and didn't bother to check with a meter but after a week the battery was still OK with no drain apparent and has been fine ever since.

Sorry if a bit long winded but Eric the Car Guy on YouTube explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:59   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
What is a realistic amount of time for a V70 to be left before the battery goes flat?

I’m finding I’m not not driving my V70R these days much and struggle to drive it enough to give the battery a good charge. Ideally I’d put it on a charger it’s not always convenient with other cars in the garage etc. Just wondering how long, with a healthy and charged battery it should be possible to leave the car before it goes flat?

I have a few similarly aged cars and seem to suffer less with drain. For example my dads 97 T5 seems to be able to sit for longer, my BMW E36 can go for weeks without being started (although the alarm is disconnected and it has a very large battery), even the Range Range P38 will go a couple of weeks with no issue, but the R struggles after a week or so!

Not done any drain tests yet but just wondering what is realistic from peoples’ experience?
Volvo recommend charging a new car battery every 3 months when in storage and every 2 Weeks in the current low usage conditions ....

you need to measure the leakage current when locked, alarm on and left 15 mins.. 50 ma is ok it will probably be less... three figure ma figures is not ok ..
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 11:08   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I'd reckon that 2 or 3 weeks minimum should be expected before any problems, with a good battery should really be longer still. So it's either a weak/dying battery or you have parasitic drain - as above, test for the latter, it's easy enough to do and then at least you'll know.

You still need to eliminate parasitic drain, but I'm a great fan of using maintenance chargers on vehicles that rarely get used. I have loads of vehicles all with chargers, and they've paid for themselves many times over in preserving batteries that would otherwise have had to be replaced several times.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 13:49   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Agree with Luxobarge regarding battery chargers. My son restored a XR3i convertible 12 years ago to concours and at the time fitted a new Motorcraft battery. The car has had little use since and has always been connected to a CTEC charger. The battery is still good and the car is always ready and willing to start.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 18:24   #8
Clogs
Clogs

Default Battery drain

My 1999 T5 has a Volvo battery and when left for a fortnight in the airport car park has always started first go. You need to put a meter across from the positive to some metal work (negative) to see if any current is being used. Nothing shows up on my car, despite the alarm light blipping away.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 21:39   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogs View Post
You need to put a meter across from the positive to some metal work (negative) to see if any current is being used.
If the meter is set to volts, that will just show you the battery voltage. If it's set to amps, it'll overload the meter.

You need to take the negative lead off, and put the meter between it and a body earth, with the meter set to amps this will show you what current is being drawn. Don't switch on anything while it's like this, as again it could overload the meter.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 07:31   #10
Clogs
Clogs

Thanks - sorry I forgot to say disconnect the negative lead... thought it was obvious!
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post: