Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar vs SuperChips upgrade

Views : 3940

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2020, 21:33   #1
Yelper85

Default Polestar vs SuperChips upgrade

Hi all,

Looking to get my S80 remapped and was wondering if anybody had any experience or opinions on whether to go with Polestar or SuperChips?

Polestar seems to increase to 230bhp and 470Nm whereas SuperChips claim 249bhp and 500Nm!

I already own a BlueFin with SuperChips so may be able to get a good deal with them (around £250) in comparison to the quotes £800 on the original S80 brochure!

Is Polestar for the S80 still this expensive?

Why go Polestar over SuperChips, or is it the other way around?

Regards

Mitch
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 07:12   #2
Adrian888

If the car is still in warranty then go for Polestar. It is often on offer - i got mine for £350. More horses from Superchips may be too much for the longevity of the transmission and general reliability. And what about stopping?
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 10:55   #3
Yelper85

Hi Adrian,

Those are very good points you raise. What use is a 500Nm car if the driveshaft is in two pieces

The car is still under Volvo Selekt warranty as purchased it second hand. I assume then if I use any other company other than Polestar the warranty will be void?
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 12:48   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The other upside for Polestar is that other ECU rewrites will be overwritten when the car has its software updated . The software update and the free Volvo breakdown service are the main attractions of having a Volvo dealer service the car but if every time the car comes back from servicing you have to re install the Superchip program that would be a problem unless the S80 has a Blue Fin module available which I don't believe there is. Also as mentioned, the Selekt warranty is the best available for a second hand car and to invalidate it would be a real shame. Polestar isn't cheap but there are offers and that would be the way I would go if you can afford it. I doubt whether Superchip would damage the drivetrain.

I put a Polestar upgrade on my XC70 and while on paper it wasn't the most powerful option, you have to understand that Polestar modify other areas of the car's control system and not just the fuelling, the car handles better and the power delivered is more than enough to satisfy most road users who are not taking the car onto a track and it stays in place throughout the life of the car with the reassurance that it is approved by Volvo. Prior to fitting it I tended to use the transmission Sports setting if I was in a hurry but now the engine provides all the power I need and I don't bother with using the selector lever unless I am going to do something questionable!

It's a bit of a turnaround discussing a Superchip ECU rewrite as the more powerful option as over the years I've got used top discussing Superchip as the less powerful but smoother option. I had it on all my previous cars over a 15 year period and found it a very well written program but on the Volvo, Polestar won the day.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 13:41   #5
Yelper85

Hi Tatsfield,

Well, after that review, I think I'm sold! Assuming I can get a good deal of course . . .

I'd not considered the other tweaks that the Polestar option adds and I'd certainly not thought about the fact that any software update will overwrite a non-Polestar remap.

Is it just Volvo that's affected like that as my Golf (BlueFin) had a few software updates but the remap stayed in place and I didn't need to re-apply?
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 19:41   #6
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The other upside for Polestar is that other ECU rewrites will be overwritten when the car has its software updated . The software update and the free Volvo breakdown service are the main attractions of having a Volvo dealer service the car but if every time the car comes back from servicing you have to re install the Superchip program that would be a problem unless the S80 has a Blue Fin module available which I don't believe there is. Also as mentioned, the Selekt warranty is the best available for a second hand car and to invalidate it would be a real shame. Polestar isn't cheap but there are offers and that would be the way I would go if you can afford it. I doubt whether Superchip would damage the drivetrain.

I put a Polestar upgrade on my XC70 and while on paper it wasn't the most powerful option, you have to understand that Polestar modify other areas of the car's control system and not just the fuelling, the car handles better and the power delivered is more than enough to satisfy most road users who are not taking the car onto a track and it stays in place throughout the life of the car with the reassurance that it is approved by Volvo. Prior to fitting it I tended to use the transmission Sports setting if I was in a hurry but now the engine provides all the power I need and I don't bother with using the selector lever unless I am going to do something questionable!

It's a bit of a turnaround discussing a Superchip ECU rewrite as the more powerful option as over the years I've got used top discussing Superchip as the less powerful but smoother option. I had it on all my previous cars over a 15 year period and found it a very well written program but on the Volvo, Polestar won the day.
I'm seriously considering this for my 2008 xc70. What effects did it have on mpg? Do you tow? If so did it effect that?
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:16   #7
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Hi Tatsfield,

Well, after that review, I think I'm sold! Assuming I can get a good deal of course . ..
Good luck with getting a good deal on it...Volvo Chesterfield would not budge from full retail price of £745 last time I enquired.

The other good thing about Polestar that most insurance companies don't charge extra as the power increase is less than 10%.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:06   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
I'm seriously considering this for my 2008 xc70. What effects did it have on mpg? Do you tow? If so did it effect that?
It has no effect whatsoever on fuel consumption . Assuming you drive it the same as before , but more power demands more fuel if you use it :-)
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:50   #9
Adrian888

The increase in power is model/engine specific and some are a darn site more than 10%. And i got my polestar remap from a Volvo dealer for just under £350.... so it can be haggled.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 23:04   #10
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
The increase in power is model/engine specific and some are a darn site more than 10%. And i got my polestar remap from a Volvo dealer for just under £350.... so it can be haggled.

You may be correct 're % increase. For my vehicle it was just under 10% & no increase of insurance premium.

As for haggling, my own dealer said no - several times, dealer in the next county provisionally agreed to £380 but then claimed Volvo U.K. had ceased any offer prices and that it was back to full RRP.
So if you got it for that, good on you ...me? I didn't manage it.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: