Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 760 2.8 gle engine problems

Views : 3795

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 18:15   #1
gordyctill

Default volvo 760 2.8 gle engine problems

hi I have a 2.8 v6 it is a 1988 I am having engine issues idle is low and lumpy won't rev and when I get it to rev it backfires I have run out of ideas please help
gordyctill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gordyctill For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 20:30   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyctill View Post
hi I have a 2.8 v6 it is a 1988 I am having engine issues idle is low and lumpy won't rev and when I get it to rev it backfires I have run out of ideas please help
Many things to check! First, is it a B280E or a B280F? Second, have you done anything to the engine/underbonnet area recently? Have you checked the intake trunking between the MAF and throttle body?
Have you cleaned the PCV system including the oil filler cap? Any air leaks on those? Are the "O" rings intact and in good condition on the oil filler cap and dipstick? Do the check valves on the pipework for the Climate Control all work as they should? Is the brake servo working as it should? Is the throttle butterfly adjusted correctly and never been touched? Is the TPS correctly adjusted?

I could go on but that lot will keep you busy and give a few clues!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 09:53   #3
gordyctill

hi I have checked the following new idle valve checked all pipes new radio relay new coil new mass air flow 2 years ago new knock sensors checked the in tank pump and is working and relay is working I am at a loss
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 11:26   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
hi I have checked the following new idle valve checked all pipes new radio relay new coil new mass air flow 2 years ago new knock sensors checked the in tank pump and is working and relay is working I am at a loss
What make is the MAF and was it genuinely new or just new to the car?

Also is it a B280E or a B280F? Second, have you done anything to the engine/underbonnet area recently? Have you checked the intake trunking between the MAF and throttle body?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 17:43   #5
gordyctill

my engine is b280f. the mass air flow sensor I got new and I have checked the trunking and its fine I think something has failed but I don't know what
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:24   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
my engine is b280f. the mass air flow sensor I got new and I have checked the trunking and its fine I think something has failed but I don't know what
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What make is the MAF?
Also how did you check the trunking?

Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:31   #7
gordyctill

I checked the maf and the trunking by putting my hand over the end and the engine stopped mite not be the right way but it stopped the engine
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:43   #8
gordyctill

I forgot to mention I have cleared the throttle body and the tps is working
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:58   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I checked the maf and the trunking by putting my hand over the end and the engine stopped mite not be the right way but it stopped the engine
WHAT MAKE IS THE MAF?????

Have you still got the original?

That won't give a conclusive result, testing it that way. You need to remove it and examine it closely, particularly around the points where the stubs join it for the AICV and breather hoses.

That's 50mm wide self-adhesive aluminium tape wrapped and overlapped to cure a similar problem on mine. I couldn't find any holes, cracks or otherwise but it cured it. A side benefit was it keeps the incoming air cooler so it's more dense - better power and economy.

You could also have a blocked cat, i don't have a cat on mine thankfully (B280E) and you can legally decat yours as the 760 wasn't made long enough to mandatorily have a cat.

It could also be the ECUs CTS, located on the 'stat housing but that usually shows as a rough idle and high fuel consumption.

Another thing it could be is the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR), that can do similar.

Everything so far is pointing to the MAF having failed, if it was a Bosch unit then it shouldn't have failed so quickly but if it's a cheap Chinese one, it could well have done.

I'm asking a lot of questions because they need to be asked so please don't ignore them, it will make the process slower than it needs to be and in my case painfully slow because i'll have to keep repeating questions and my hands don't like typing!

When were the plugs last changed, also dizzy cap, HT leads?

Old Oct 28th, 2020, 19:45   #10
gordyctill

I have changed the spark plugs the the maf is a lucas make I have look at bosch but dam expensive