Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hyd Clutch Probs

Views : 494

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2006, 14:24   #1
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Unhappy Hyd Clutch Probs

Hello.
Recent convert to Bricks, though my family had 343's and then a 360GLT through the '80's

My 740 2.3 4 spd with O/D has had some quirks since I bought her.
squeaking heard when depressing clutch pedal.
Clutch judder when warm.

Today the clutch pedal went to the floor and I had to crash my way home.
there is fluid leaking from the slave cylinder and the reservoir has gone from Max to Min.

I was just thinking of changing/servicing the master cylinder, however after reading my Heinous Manual, their fault finding could also suggest a deformed or broken diaphragm spring (ie all the quirsks point to this and this defect has caused the slave cylinder to blow it's seal).

Is anyone still with me so far???

It's either a £60 fix by me or a £300 fix by the garage.

Any help or experience would be gratefully recieved.
I love the car and I am not going to let this make me scrap it Its the best and most solid car I have had yet.
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:12   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Cheapest option is replace the clutch slave and bleed through with fresh fluid. Hopefully the brake reservoir has not been affected by the fluid loss (they are both housed in the same unit). When this has been done it will be easier to assess any damage to the clutch. However to be fireproof I would have the clutch (replaced with heavy duty unit), master and slave cylinders replaced and fresh fluid bled through. Expensive option but easily sourced without dealer intervention.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:18   #3
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Red face Hyd Clutch probs

Called RAC out. I read in a previous post by wilf that the rod could push through the clutch arm.
This indeed is what had happened, car is running again but with same niggles as before. I definately need a new clutch, I just have the benefit of being able to save up for it. Are clutch release arms available to buy, or should I weld a repair in the cup to stop the rod pushing through again. (temp repair is a washer between rod and arm)

Where would I source a heavy duty clutch? This is useful to me as I am guilty of towing a snail around in the summer!

Thanks for your help