Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grrrrrrr. Lambda Sensors

Views : 11472

Replies : 123

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 18:55   #61
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Cool, thanks.

Am able to see figures when driving so will have a look into what the MAF *should* be reading and will take a look at that it is *actually* reading tomorrow. (Well, OK, I will put it on graph mode + have someone in the passenger seat with the laptop! Safety first .. )

Car is ME7.

Will try and find the fuel pressure regulator, not 100% sure on where it is of course though! Is it the silver thing between 2 of the injectors towards the right hand side?
Will head to GFS tomorrow and get a price for a fuel filter, and will try and get the pump out to see how blocked filters are on that ... (This is all *try* of course, as soon as things start getting complicated I take shortcuts ... Doh!)
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 21:40   #62
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Fuel pressure regulator is near the fuel filter on a ME7 car.
They rarely give problems but it's work looking at the vacuum line from the regulator to the engine for obvious problems.

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; Feb 6th, 2011 at 22:11.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 21:44   #63
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Ah right ... does the vacuum line follow the same rough routing as the fuel line does?
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 22:11   #64
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Pretty much, yes.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 22:23   #65
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Thanks - tomorrows job is sorted then!

Think I'm going to owe a few people a beer or similar when I finally get this car going again ...
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 16:51   #66
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Think I found it - only had a quick look though at lunch to try and get a rough idea where it was .. T piece coming out of quite a hard pipe, about 2 inches of quite soft/squishy hose, before it goes into something that I imagine is the Fuel Pressure Relay.

Will get the car up on the jack+stands when I get home and have another look, see if theres any splits in the pipe that are obvious.

Going back a few posts - I'm near Watford dpbayly, going on google maps you are about 40 miles up the M25/A1(m) from me. If I can get any kind of efficiency from the car I may have to take you up on that offer.

Last edited by JamesV70R; Feb 7th, 2011 at 16:54.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 14:16   #67
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Whats come to my attention as being strange may help with a diagnosis ...

I took the air filter out at lunch today while the car was running rough (500rpm + VERY smokey) and attempted the trick we found saturday that temporarily settled the idle. (It didnt work)

What I did find strange though, was even while not touching anything, there was an occasional "whoosh" from the airbox ... along with a small surge in the revs. Found it very very strange. Car is still fine on power (hesitant, but will pull - sometimes "surges" along in a few halting steps .. ), idle / low speeds leaves a cloud of smoke behind me still.

If any of you get stuck behind me in traffic - I'm sorry!!

Oh edit - Long Term fuel trim was up at 24/26 or so when I reset the codes last.

Last edited by JamesV70R; Feb 9th, 2011 at 14:24.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 16:30   #68
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Interesting thread this - you have my sympathy.

Just one thought - have you checked the vacuum pipe to the servo? If the servo was leaking, it can muck up the mixture something rotten, and if it's also leaking brake fluid this can be sucked into the inlet and "make big smoke".

You could just clamp it off temporarily and see if it affects anything in a positive way.

As I say, just a thought....
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 16:55   #69
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Yeh have checked that, cant see anything unfortunately. Have sprayed joints/connections + all the related t-pieces. Pumping the pedal with the engine idling does bring the RPM back up, and it'll idle around 1000/slight over while your pumping the pedal.

My thinking is swinging towards blocked cat even more now - with some RPM the "sucking" makes sence, and I think the reason it surged like that its able to force exhaust through under pressure, but at idle theres not enough pressure .. until it builds up enough pressure to "pop" through, leading to the "whoosh" of new air coming in where the turbo is being spun up because the exhaust is flowing again .. then the pressure backs up again .. etc etc repeating cycle.

Been told to (while its running badly) turn off, let it cool down for a bit, and remove the cat ... if it runs better then problem = found. I suppose removing the front 02 sensor would have the same effect by removing pressure but I don't have a sensor socket at the mo to remove it.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 17:02   #70
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

not being funny Villian but i did my O2 sensor with a normal spanner
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote