Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 326795

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2016, 00:53   #601
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Saw an '06 S40 today

A neighbor asked if I'd keep my eyes peeled for a replacement car.
Her's was destroyed by someone running a stop sign.
Ample time is built into my search due to her arm being fractured in the crash.

A friend's colleague has a 2006 S40 w/146K for sale. It's pure white and appears to have been garage kept through its two owners.
The only problem reported was a cracked driver's mirror housing.

I made the 85 mile trip to her house, lifted the garage door and saw it is a T5 with AWD!
A 4 door with an air foil on the boot lid.
My friend won't hear the fact that an 88 year old librarian who racks up fewer than 3,000 miles per year, with many trips under 1 mile, doesn't need such a powerful machine.

There was a distinct, sharp buzz throughout the car during the test drive and the little thing did not exhibit any pull on western Connecticut's mountainous roads.

This deal won't go down but I did find a replacement console for my '02 V70 at a near by junkyard for $75. It's from an '04 XC-70 and is listed as a fit. Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Oct 26th, 2016 at 00:58. Reason: more "what"
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 08:17   #602
Pejo

122liter 1069.70 miles t5 Manual. Not sure is fuel consumption is economy or not but i am happy with her.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 17:18   #603
oragex
Premier Member

This little thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztO_zATLM4
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 00:42   #604
oragex
Premier Member

Got the front carpets out from a cleaning, they were smelling a little
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0573.jpg (142.1 KB, 18 views)
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 11:32   #605
MWMan
Master Member

Winter prep

I have used Collinite 845 for a while to protect the car and it does a really good job. Easy to apply and lasts for quite a while. However, I had heard that Collinite 476 protection lasted even longer. So..... bought some and applied it to the car this morning. A bit harder to apply but buffs up nicely - now lets see if its all its cracked up to be....................
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MWMan For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 18:03   #606
Cabot

Washed, decon'ed, clayed and waxed my V70 at the weekend. Still a few rust spots and stone chips to fix next summer, but for now she looks great.

Also received a 20m usb cable and got my DICE working. Will read the codes tomorrow.

Next step: installthe reverse camera
Cabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 21:20   #607
Christerart
VOC Member

Default 10 days, 2085 miles and 52.3 mpg

So today we’re unpacking and putting away all the stuff we picked up on the trip to Sweden and back.

2085 miles in 10 days and the display readout said 52.3 miles/gallon after parked up at home - V70 D5 loaded pretty heavily and mainly two lane roads and a week in Gothenburg and the islands. Didn’t use any oil at all and no problems whatsoever. Not bad with 213K on the D5.

Harwich to Hoek van Holland to our German friends just north of Kiel where we stayed overnight as usual.

The next morning we went another route than we normally do - went over the Great Belt bridge and BROEN - Copenhagen to Malmö - as Jess wanted to see it “in person” after watching the TV series.

We then drove up the middle of Skåne and Småland and then took a left hook to Gothenburg and the island of Björkö where we keep our yacht. The trip was mainly about making sure she was set up for the coming winter and the usual high winds.

On Björkö we met up with our German friends again who’d been moseying along behind us in their 30 year old Kugelwagon - i.e. a short wheelbase 2 door Mercedes G class wagon..=*^)

The trip back went by way of ferry Gothenburg to Fredrikshavn, then to Skive where we met up with Mads who’s refurbishing his newly purchased British built yacht. He bought it from Scotland earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

After looking at it and listening to his plans we aimed southwest, wanting to do a relaxed drive along Denmark’s excellent two lane roads. Picked up some lovely honey from Erik.

We couldn’t avail ourselves of his self serve setup as we had run out of Euros but after knocking on his door he cheerfully accepted British pounds.

He offered coffee and we had a nice time listening to him telling us about the 10 years he had spent in Wisconsin.

One of the reasons we love the twolanes - you meet some lovely people..=*^)

We then got a free carwash when we spotted a sign that said “free wash today” and in the evening we loaded up with wines recommended by our German friends and the next morning early we were on the road again, heading for Hoek van Holland.

Sadly, one thing that strikes you when you disembark and hit the British roads is how poor they are in comparison with EU roads - at least the ones we normally do - Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden.

Makes you wonder, especially as Brits seem to pay much more for gas and diesel than drivers in EU - (again the countries we did on this trip).

Cheapest we saw was in Denmark: £0.95/liter, followed closely by Germany, £0.96, The Netherlands with £1.07 and finally Sweden £1.11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StoraBelt.jpg (75.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Broen.jpg (139.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BjorkoIcehouse.JPG (146.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CandMads.JPG (107.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DanishHoney.JPG (176.2 KB, 14 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christerart For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 00:08   #608
sparkeysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDD5 View Post
Thanks, belt and pulleys are OK, however I will re-check the alternator output. It was showing 13.8V whilst idling. Any idea what the regulator 'cut-off' voltage should be?
Car has covered just over 270,000 miles and the auxiliary belt was replaced at the last cam belt change 50,000 miles ago.
That sounds about right.
Check output voltage on fast idle about 1000 to 1500
Voltage should come up to 14.5ish.
Put headlights on main heated screen and test again at fast idle
Voltage should remain around the 14 volt area
If those are the reading you have then all will be well
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 18:30   #609
Volvowaft

Default So my CCM had packed up... fixed

Last week my CCM died during an attempted jump start. Ordered one from a breaker, fitted it and it's working!!! On the old unit, the thermistor behind the grille of three vents has indeed busted. I can at least repair the old one. I'm very happy as we'd be making do without everything in this cold weather.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 19:48   #610
jim jordan

gave the beasty a full service that fuel filter is a right pain on the d5 s60 but resistance is futile
jim jordan is offline   Reply With Quote