Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window Tinting

Views : 1349

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 19:28   #1
KeatV70D5SE

Default Window Tinting

Has anyone had any epxerience of after-market window tinting? I'm not talking about the cheap "Halfrauds" type stick on film but the professionally done in a dust-free environment type comapnies?

Thinking of getting my windows darkened just a bit more than standard and would welcome any comments.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 21:28   #2
cootuk
Premier Member

Default RE: Window Tinting

850s and V70 have light factory tint anyway. The front windows have quite strict limits on the level of tint allowed, and the Police have a 'Tintman' meter that can measure it. i'm sure there was a long thread a few months ago about tints.
Is it Howard with the blue V70 that was at Phil Whittackers? Now that was a beautiful tint....

cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:06   #3
richman

if you are fitting it your self be carefull its tricky..i have done mine myself.The thing with the laser cut tints you see on ebay i don.t no how they cut the rear screen and the back two windows on 850 estate because they need a slight heat shrink to fit perfik,I charge £250 FOR A 850 estate,
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:36   #4
big h

Hi Keat,

As cootuk says I have had my windows tinted using a blue film (still legal :) ). The firm that did mine were recommended by my local Volvo dealer, as they do all the new cars that come to the dealership. The 4 windows in the doors were all removed to have the film applied and then put into a low bake oven. The rear tailgate windows and quarters were left in the car. I love the look and and would recommended it! Definatley a must do on my next car.

The garage had the car for a day and the cost was about £275ish, if you can get anywhere near this price, then you are doing well.

Had mine for over a year now, the only thing you have to be carefull about is scratching the rear quarter panels when you load the car up to go to the local tip.

Take a look in my gallery.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...cat=500&page=1
RICA ECU upgrade, IPD Grille, C70 Clear h/ligthts, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, Powerflex top mount, F1 filter, OEM strut brace, blue tints, 18" Pegasus, Goodyear F1's. VST lip, Blackthorn Performance CAT, 4" S/steel exhaust
big h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 17:03   #5
KeatV70D5SE

Hi

There's no way I was going to do this myself on a £20k car! I've seen a few around with wrinkles and such like. I know that I already have a slight tint built in and only want a slightly darker look from the outside - I wouldn't even mind if it didn't darken the inside too much (and I have a trailer to go to the tip with :) ).

I don't mind paying for the right type of finish.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 18:40   #6
eddie69
Eddie69

i had my windows done professionally b a company in newcastle, they made a cracking job and you cant tell its not the original window and they are within VOSA and Police %, i have had them checked, apart from that the car look the biz

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 18:46   #7
KeatV70D5SE

how do they stop the edges peeling? I know glues are advanced but can they hold the film on under repeated up and down window movements.

Does it scratch in use.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 18:49   #8
eddie69
Eddie69

When i had them fitted they advised me not to use them for about 48hrs but i left them about a week, they are fully guaranteed for peeling which (touch wood) they havnt done, they are also cloudy for a while due to the glus but clear, not cloudy enough to stop driving more of a light milky colour.

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 19:06   #9
doorman

Had mine done 4 years ago by a very highly recommended company in Essex, all professionals who see the work all agree it is perfect. If you’re interested, I'll try to find their details. They do the job on site providing you have suitable premises for them to do it in. They were not cheap though.
Check out my gallery, the tint is medium, but in some shots, it looks much darker, but I'm assured it will pass the police light meter test.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...=500&ppuser=19
Regards
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 19:26   #10
big h

>how do they stop the edges peeling?
The film is finished flush to the bevelled edge of the windows.

I work in the graphics/sign industry and I have tried to find the edge of the film on the opening windows and cannot. The film is much thinner than standard printing media.

I know glues are advanced
>but can they hold the film on under repeated up and down
>window movements.

Yep, no problem, it helps being baked on in the oven. Some of these modern adhesives now replace mechanical fixings such as rivets, 3M manufacture adhaesive that now bonded motorway signs together rather than using nuts/bolts!

>Does it scratch in use.

No, even if you run your finger nails across it, it shouldn't scratch or mark it, like I said previously you only have to carefull of sharp edges/objects. The company that did mine offered a lifetime guarantee on the job, as long as I owned the vehicle.
RICA ECU upgrade, IPD Grille, C70 Clear h/ligthts, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, Powerflex top mount, F1 filter, OEM strut brace, blue tints, 18" Pegasus, Goodyear F1's. VST lip, Blackthorn Performance CAT, 4" S/steel exhaust
big h is offline   Reply With Quote