Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rica stage 2 vs sports tune

Views : 1447

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2013, 08:56   #1
KevWak

Talking Rica stage 2 vs sports tune

Hi all,

Please let's not turn this into a slagging match about how shark/mte/polestar are better etc.

I have done my research and decided on RICA for my D5. The question is 253bhp and 548NM from the sports tune or 240bhp and 480NM from the stage 2. There is only £60 price difference.

Does anyone have experience of either of these maps on a D5? Is the performance gain worth the potential extra wear and tear (DMF etc).

I do a 400 mile trip every few weeks and mainly travel M-ways and fast A roads. Some decent overtaking capability is required along with a general mpg increase for steady driving.

Thanks in advance

Kev
KevWak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 14:37   #2
don kalmar union
Trader

Default MTE Swedish written software.

You really should research further and in greater depth for rica before you give a second thought to dealing with them.

Both here and at www.t5d5.org, and btw include adam webber, HLM, Hamish Lindsey etc in those searches.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 14:55   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

When did the V50 D5's go from auto only to manual only? I only say as Rica won't put the Sports tune on auto's. Not sure about the stage 2.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 20:17   #4
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Leave him to his choice, there is no point in trying to convince people that Rica and their associates or not to be trusted..He has done his research and has chosen Rica..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:14   #5
jamesy12345

Speaking as someone who has never even sat in a V50 diesel, some thoughts:

If I am correct and the standard torque is 350 Nm, the 'Sports' tune puts out 543 Nm or over +55%.........sounds a lot to me if you still expect reliability.

The torque curve the are showing on the RICA website doesn't look very impressive - looks like a torque spike early on in the rev range then drops off pretty quickly.

I personally would go for something that gives a better spread of torque (a 'flatter' curve) rather than going for the highest numbers. I can't comment on whether RICA are good or not, I have a RICA ECU for my S70 T5 auto but never used it as I have a TME unit in there, which is going well.

All that said.....I also would not trust any dyno charts unless they were from my own car, and even then I wouldn't put a lot of faith in them the best way to check would be to have go in similar cars with the map you are considering, if at all possible.

Last edited by jamesy12345; Oct 14th, 2013 at 05:20.
jamesy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote