Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S90 Road noise through tyres

Views : 4221

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2021, 21:40   #11
Capt109

Same issue here with a V90 Cross Country MY21, purchased in Sept 20, I changed from a MY17. The increase in noise was very noticeable between the two cars. I changed the tyres from the Michelins fitted as standard, to the Pirelli Noise cancellation tyres, which may a 3db difference.

I could not stand the noise levels so traded the car at 7 months old, for a MY21 Audi A8

Using an app on my phone, on the same road @ 60mph, Volvo V90 83db, Our other car a 19 Seat Alhambra 63db, Audi A8 54db.

When I was looking into the issue I test drove a S90 T8 78db, MY21 V90 CC 75db. So I can only say they must be either reducing the thickness of the metal, or reducing the insulation or both. It’s a big shame as the rest of the car was excellent
Old Dec 26th, 2021, 11:35   #12
Kingston1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanskipper View Post
I recently swapped from a BMW 520 to a new V90 and one of the things I noticed straight away was how much noisier it was in the cabin. The engine is noisier at low speeds and then at national speed limit type speeds it is tyre noise that takes over. The first time I made a call using the hands free the recipient (who I call regularly from the car) noted that the call quality wasn't as good as the BMW which was possibly due to the cabin noise also.🤷*♂️

The engine may be a bit quieter now it's done a couple of thousand miles possibly but it's hard to tell for sure obviously.
That's interesting. My previous company car was the BMW 520 Tourer and when I retired I bought a two year old V90. One of my biggest requirements over the years has always been for a car with low road noise (personally I always found it the most tiring thing about the many long distance drives I made with my job). I couldn't tell much, if any, difference between the BMW and Volvo.

As a side issue, though an important one, I find the V90 a much better motorway vehicle, largely down to less twitchy steering than the BMW. The Volvo just seems more 'planted' on the road. Don't get me wrong, the BMW was an excellent car and more economical too, but for me the Volvo makes the motorway journeys more relaxed. I appreciate that we all have different tastes and I hope that yours quietens down with a few more miles on the tyres!
Kingston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 18:19   #13
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt109 View Post
Same issue here with a V90 Cross Country MY21, purchased in Sept 20, I changed from a MY17. The increase in noise was very noticeable between the two cars. I changed the tyres from the Michelins fitted as standard, to the Pirelli Noise cancellation tyres, which may a 3db difference.

I could not stand the noise levels so traded the car at 7 months old, for a MY21 Audi A8

Using an app on my phone, on the same road @ 60mph, Volvo V90 83db, Our other car a 19 Seat Alhambra 63db, Audi A8 54db.

When I was looking into the issue I test drove a S90 T8 78db, MY21 V90 CC 75db. So I can only say they must be either reducing the thickness of the metal, or reducing the insulation or both. It’s a big shame as the rest of the car was excellent
Like some others on here, I am somewhat baffled by your post.

I have just completed a drive from hell today because a section of the M42 is closed until the New Year. Farnham (Surrey) to home should take 3 hours. It was 5.5 hours today. But I couldn't have been in a better, more relaxing car. When you are tired, excessive noise is really draining. Not today, or previously.

And I do appreciate that there is very little road noise at 5mph....

But I've had three Merc E Class before my two S90s and the Volvos are superior cars in my view.

I suspect your apparently scientific approach is being let down by the app and/or the placing of the phone. Or there was something seriously wrong with the car/tyres/pressures.

Please forgive me, but I don't think your readings represent reality especially given the logarithmic scale used for dBA.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 19:40   #14
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post

I have just completed a drive from hell today because a section of the M42 is closed until the New Year. Farnham (Surrey) to home should take 3 hours. It was 5.5 hours today. But I couldn't have been in a better, more relaxing car. When you are tired, excessive noise is really draining. Not today, or previously.

But I've had three Merc E Class before my two S90s and the Volvos are superior cars in my view.

I suspect your apparently scientific approach is being let down by the app and/or the placing of the phone. Or there was something seriously wrong with the car/tyres/pressures.

Please forgive me, but I don't think your readings represent reality especially given the logarithmic scale used for dBA.
I come from over 10 years of E Class ownership to the S90 and I must confess that I find the road noise in the S90 much worse than in the Mercs. I’d go as far as to say it is the worst I have ever owned for it.

Don’t get me wrong, it wouldn’t make me want to get rid of the car, but it’s far more intrusive than any other car I owned and a little annoying at times.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 22:32   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post

I saw it was shut too. Is it something to do with HS2? Are they putting a bridge in?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 00:12   #16
Harni

Is the car on its original tyres? Reason I ask is my XC60 when on its tyres from the factory was very quiet and more so than most cars I’ve been in however when it came to change them, I fitted conti sport contacts. Worst mistake ever. The cabin was noisy and the road noise was very intrusive. Swapped them in the end for eco contacts and it was back to how it should have been

My dealer did also point out that whilst Volvo will use common tyre makes on their cars, most of the time they are not “off the shelf” and have a foam lining to reduce road noise. This is indicated by VOL being on the side wall so if you do ever need new tyres, get them from Volvo directly and not elsewhere.
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 08:55   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Despite a small improvement when switching away from the original Contis, my V60 (with 235/40 18 tyres) suffered excessive road noise, particularly on certain road surfaces. I'd say the noise level was verging on unacceptable for rear seat passengers on some motorways and most dual carriageways.

Maybe the higher tyre profile on XC models helps?
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 09:10   #18
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I saw it was shut too. Is it something to do with HS2? Are they putting a bridge in?
They are indeed Philip. It's called Marston Box and is for HS2. The press release says that the diversion route is clearly signed in advance etc etc. Utter nonsense. They tell you M42 is closed and that's it. Sensus got it initially but then started offering sequential U turns on M5 so we ignored it, followed M5 up the west side of Brum, merged (v slowly) with the M6 and then onto M6 Toll south. It added about 30 miles but at least we were moving (ever so quietly too) at normal speeds.

I agree with others that tyre choice makes a big difference to cabin ambience with All Seasons or winters being the quietest. My preference is Goodyear Vector AS but I've only done 9k miles so that purchase is some way off. The current Michelin Primacys are fine for now.

Reference to What Car? cabin noise readings suggest our friend's meter readings are not representative although to be honest I haven't sourced their published results for the big Volvos.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Harrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 09:26   #19
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Whike my XC90 isn't a SPA model I can add an interesting observstion.

I recently switched to Hankook Kinergy 4S2 tyres (255/50 r19) and I was extremely surprised with the reduction in tyre noise over the previous Cross Climates and the OE Pirellis. If I'd stuck with thenOE Pirelli tyres I too would be joining in the complaints about tyre noise.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 09:28   #20
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Whike my XC90 isn't a SPA model I can add an interesting observstion.

I recently switched to Hankook Kinergy 4S2 tyres (255/50 r19) and I was extremely surprised with the reduction in tyre noise over the previous Cross Climates and the OE Pirellis. If I'd stuck with thenOE Pirelli tyres I too would be joining in the complaints about tyre noise.
I agree, the Hankooks are quiet.