Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECM6814 Turbo control signal too high

Views : 5489

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2014, 14:54   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default ECM6814 Turbo control signal too high

V70 2004 AWD R
While clearing an ABS fault code on VIDA/DICE caused by a cracked Reluctor ring, the above fault code was discovered. The car is a bit down on power, but hardly noticeable - to my driving style. There was no MIL light.
Vida says possible cause is defective boost pressure sensor, but where the heck is it?
Where Vida says it is, it aint. Its there on my T5, about midpoint on the air intake between the intercooler and the throttle body.
My R does have an "Intake manifiold pressure sensor", which is about an inch from the intercooler outlet hose Does this double as a boost pressure sensor?
There is no sensor there on my T5.

DICE readings (car at standstill) are :-

Boost pressure 970 hpa @ Idle
1000 hpa @ 4000RPM
1050hpa @ 5000RPM
Duty cycle 0% @ all rpm
Desired Boost 988hpa @ all rpm

Any help/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 07:57   #2
Ringsting
2006 S60 T5

on my t5 the boost pressure sensor is attached the outlet of the intercooler, bit of a bugger to get to, should be the same on your R. your t5 must be the 2.3ltr version?
Ringsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 12:10   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringsting View Post
on my t5 the boost pressure sensor is attached the outlet of the intercooler, bit of a bugger to get to, should be the same on your R. your t5 must be the 2.3ltr version?
Yep a mate from Oz put me in the right direction. see attached

Yes my T5 is the 2.3 - it was a doddle to find there which is what confused me, as Vida said that was where it should have been too on my R.

Suspect it will be "a lot of a bugger" to remove, as torx badly corroded. might drill a hole in the slam panel to gain access with extension 1/4" drive.

Cheers

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70R Boost pressure sensor 03.jpg (193.5 KB, 57 views)
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 10:03   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Default Update

Finally got to the bottom of this fault. Vida actually says as well as a pressure sensor fault, there could be an air leak down stream from the turbo. I ignored this, as a split O ring had been repaired - with superglue not a week before.
Upon working to remove the charge pipe it just lifted straight up once the two bolts which hold it to the engine were removed. The O ring was 25% missing, what remained was in one piece, but with several nicks which almost cut the ring. My super glue repair was still sound , as I had marked the repair with a marker.
What I had failed to do, was secure the flanges of the charge pipe and the turbo together with the "C" clamp and so the thing worked loose.
How did I know this was the problem?? My eldest daughter asked what was wrong with the car as it was making a wooshing noise when accelerating.
Her young ears heard it - I couldn't. but I knew what it meant. New O ring solved problem and this time I made sure the C clamp was fitted correctly.

Cheers

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:50   #5
BigTazScotland

where exactly is the O ring as when we had the charge pipe off i never saw any at all?

also wheres the c clamp do you have any pictures that could help?
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:39   #6
alpinto1

DTC ECM-6814, can be present, when the car has a default turbo Solenoid valve (3-Way Solenoid Valve).
alpinto1 is offline   Reply With Quote