Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - Centre Floor Console

Views : 1577

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2021, 14:20   #1
Shepherdspie

Question V60 - Centre Floor Console

Afternoon everyone.

I have a 2019 V60 and my issue is with the centre floor console between drivers and passenger seats. The gap between the lid for the front storage compartment (ashtray in old money) and the console is conveniently the right size for small coins (50p and below). Now, saving the fact that I have lots of money rattling around in the centre floor console, I also have a jigsaw piece of the wife's (don't ask) and she wants it back! Has anyone any idea how to retrieve said items? I have taken off the side carpet panels and only found a solitary 20p piece on the floor, the rest are sat (assume) on top of the compartment under the console. I have a set of instructions from the garage to remove the console but they were only able to print in black and white and if I'm honest they are clearly not designed to be used in black and white. Anyway, appreciate any help. Don't really want to take it to the garage for a few pence and a jigsaw piece.
Shepherdspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 20:22   #2
westcountryjim

Might be simpler to buy the jigsaw again
westcountryjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 08:19   #3
Shepherdspie

That's what I tried saying to the wife, she wasn't buying it
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:14   #4
scw

Remove the carpeted panel on the passenger side of the tunnel. You should then have easy access to fish around for the lost bits and pieces.

There is a thread somewhere in the forum describing the removal process to gain access to the 12v accessory socket in order to wire a dash cam.

From memory, having wired my own dash cam this way, the panel is just clipped on and can be removed with a gentle pull along the bottom edge.

Steve
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 18:09   #5
Shepherdspie

Cheers SCW, I have removed the side panels (found a 20p on the floor inside) but there is more money and the offending jigsaw piece still floating around on top of the front storage compartment (just forward of the sliding lid). Tried to fish around and get me hands up there but to no avail at present.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 21:58   #6
ian77

I lost my credit card sized parking pass down that gap, very annoying design feature. Stripped the side panel off, and couldn’t find it. I ended up cutting up a cereal box and using a strip of card to push it through as it was stuck behind the lid. Obviously I didn’t catch it and it dropped right to the bottom. Fortunately my 8 yr old daughter has smaller hands than me 😬.
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 09:45   #7
Shepherdspie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77 View Post
I lost my credit card sized parking pass down that gap, very annoying design feature. Stripped the side panel off, and couldn’t find it. I ended up cutting up a cereal box and using a strip of card to push it through as it was stuck behind the lid. Obviously I didn’t catch it and it dropped right to the bottom. Fortunately my 8 yr old daughter has smaller hands than me 😬.
Genius, will definitely give that a go, cheers ian77. Agreed a very annoying design feature. A hidden brush strip would be an effective and simple solution to preventing it from happening.
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 22:36   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherdspie View Post
That's what I tried saying to the wife, she wasn't buying it
I would expect that she would want you to buy it......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:44   #9
Shepherdspie

For anyone interested I have managed to retrieve the offending jigsaw piece and 20p.

It's a bit of a fiddle but you can do it without having to strip out the whole centre console.

I removed the 2 carpet side panels (4 clips: 2 on the rear edge, 1 in the centre and 1 centre forward).

The gear linkage mechanism is bolted to the centre console so instead of stripping down everything, I unbolted the 2 bolts below the linkage (1 either side) which bolt to mounting plates from the vehicle floor. Unbolted the 2 bolts underneath the stowage bin rubber mat and finally unscrewed 2 screws (1 either side) just in front of centre console and just below the trim of the dash.

I had to disconnect 2 electrical connections on the left-hand side and disconnect the gear linkage. To remove the gear control cables from the mechanism it is a sliding spring loaded collar which will allow you to pop them out.

This gave me sufficient play to pull back the centre console, lift up the rear end and 'shake vigorously'. The 20p fell out and the jigsaw became visible in front of the forward compartment, I then just had to hook it out.

Absolute design flaw on the spring loaded lid, but lesson learnt and nothing apart from my sun glasses goes on top of it now. The front stowage compartment/ash tray sits within a moulded recess and the pieces had fallen underneath the compartment but on top of the recess and thus couldn't be accessed without stripping down.

Last edited by Shepherdspie; Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:46.
Shepherdspie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shepherdspie For This Useful Post:

Tags
floor console, removal, v60