Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Late XC70 Buying (ULEZ Compliant) - Anything to look for?

Views : 2061

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2023, 16:28   #1
CosmicBike

Default Late XC70 Buying (ULEZ Compliant) - Anything to look for?

Having had a fair share of Volvo's over the years, and currently still running one of them, I'm looking to replace my current dog carrier Galaxy with an XC70. Being based just outside of the ULEZ, and having to drive into it for work, it must be compliant, so limits my choices to a late 2015/16 D4 or D5, unless I fancy the T6 (yes, but no to the fuel consumption, the R is bad enough). I know the 5 cylinder diesel is a solid, proven lump. What I'm not familiar with is the AWD system, is the Haldex Gen 6 OK? Likewise the auto 'box, from personal experience the AW55 was rubbish, but what of the TF80? Anything else I need to be on the lookout for?
Ta
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 16:48   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Having had a fair share of Volvo's over the years, and currently still running one of them, I'm looking to replace my current dog carrier Galaxy with an XC70. Being based just outside of the ULEZ, and having to drive into it for work, it must be compliant, so limits my choices to a late 2015/16 D4 or D5, unless I fancy the T6 (yes, but no to the fuel consumption, the R is bad enough). I know the 5 cylinder diesel is a solid, proven lump. What I'm not familiar with is the AWD system, is the Haldex Gen 6 OK? Likewise the auto 'box, from personal experience the AW55 was rubbish, but what of the TF80? Anything else I need to be on the lookout for?
Ta
TF80 is a good transmission. The transmission fluid does need to be changed though to prolong longevity. If the car you buy has no evidence of a fluid change, then get one done at your earliest convenience.

The only thing I would say about the TF80 transmission is it can be a little sluggish to react, like it doesn't know what gear it should be in. This takes a lot of getting used to, but reliability wise, its decent.

Its also common for the transmission to be slow changing gears first thing on startup (it takes a while to get warm). When it does warm up, the gear changes should be smooth. You shouldn't feel any bumps or jolts. This is the reason why I'd suggest going on a decent test drive, especially in this colder weather to see how the transmission behaves.

Depending on the mileage, a cam belt replacement may also be due (not by year necessarily, but by miles). Cam belt intervals on the D5 is 10 years or 108,000 miles (whichever comes first) and its less on the D4 (90,000 I think???) As I say, the one you buy may not have that mileage on it yet, but Volvo's are known to have big miles on them being motorway cruisers. Just keep in mind that a cam belt may be due, or may be due soon , depending on what you buy. It would be a bonus if it was already done though, with an Invoice/stamp to prove it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 28th, 2023 at 17:18.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 18:43   #3
Dazza95

I believe the Haldex Gen 5 is fairly reliable on that age of XC70. It benefits from a from a fluid change every 50k miles or so. Check if it’s been done and if not, budget to get it done for peace of mind. It’s a fairly simple procedure:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304136

I was in a similar boat to you last year and found it very difficult to find a Euro 6 XC70 with the 5 cylinder diesel in the spec of my choice. It was well worth the wait though and I really like mine. Good luck with your search.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazza95 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 18:51   #4
yostumpy

Regarding the comment above about the auto box being sluggish, and not sure what gear it should be in, well I've have my 2016 Euro 6 D5 for nearly 2 1/2 years, and I've come to understand it more. When cold especially, the gearbox seems to go to 2 >2 1/2 >3 >3 1/2 >4, but this is the torque converter, splitting the gears, and sometimes it feels like a slipping clutch. So now, when its cold for a few miles, I put it in sport mode, and this allows the engine / box to warm up quicker, as it locks out in each gear , and I change manually if need be. By far the best option.

Last edited by yostumpy; Nov 28th, 2023 at 19:24.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yostumpy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 19:32   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Regarding the comment above about the auto box being sluggish, and not sure what gear it should be in, well I've have my 2016 Euro 6 D5 for nearly 2 1/2 years, and I've come to understand it more. When cold especially, the gearbox seems to go to 2 >2 1/2 >3 >3 1/2 >4, but this is the torque converter, splitting the gears, and sometimes it feels like a slipping clutch. So now, when its cold for a few miles, I put it in sport mode, and this allows the engine / box to warm up quicker, as it locks out in each gear , and I change manually if need be. By far the best option.
This is normal - it's because when the engine and gearbox are started from cold, the shift points are raised and torque converter lockup is disabled for a short period, before being enabled but with higher thresholds. Hence when shifting up, the revs will rise more, and then fall when TC lockup occurs - effectively splitting the gears as you say. Normally on Gen2 TF80's on the P3 platform, the TC will be locked up as you shift when driving normally.

This is to give the fastest possible warmup cycle for the engine and gearbox fluids.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 28th, 2023 at 19:34.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 10:58   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Sport mode is an option in the newer models, but not on the older ones. Sadly, the only thing I can do is change manually or just take it easy until the transmission warms up (which I always do).

Even when it warms up, the transmission still doesn't know what gear its in and there's a delay before it reacts. Pulling out from roundabouts is a perfect example, or accelerating from one when there's a suitable gap in the traffic... It can catch you out if you aren't careful.

The TF80 transmission on these cars is showing its age now I think (it takes a bit of getting used to). The 6 speed transmission is a disadvantage to the P3 platform, in my honest opinion.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 29th, 2023 at 11:02.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 14:00   #7
Adderross94

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Sport mode is an option in the newer models, but not on the older ones. Sadly, the only thing I can do is change manually or just take it easy until the transmission warms up (which I always do).

Even when it warms up, the transmission still doesn't know what gear its in and there's a delay before it reacts. Pulling out from roundabouts is a perfect example, or accelerating from one when there's a suitable gap in the traffic... It can catch you out if you aren't careful.

The TF80 transmission on these cars is showing its age now I think (it takes a bit of getting used to). The 6 speed transmission is a disadvantage to the P3 platform, in my honest opinion.
Yep kev get what you mean with the tf80 about the hesitation kickdown on full throttle can be a good few seconds before it decides you want full power, but I still think it’s a good autobox compared to the 5 speed auto I had in my c30 t5 that was my biggest regret with that car and ultimately why I sold it would love another some day with the 6 speed manual, but compared to the 5 speed the tf80 6 speed is a much better drive
2007 Volvo C30 T5 SE Sport 101,000 miles Sold
Adderross94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adderross94 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 18:11   #8
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

I agree but have to say mine was much improved by the latest TCM software update at Volvo which I asked them to do whilst applying the Polestar upgrade. It doesn’t drop into neutral at a stop with the brake depressed now, or certainly doesn’t have a delay going back into first gear when you let off the brake like it used to previously. You did used to have to drive around that pulling onto roundabouts from a standstill as you mention.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 08:24   #9
yostumpy

Agree with some of the above, but the OP was talking about late model, ulez compliant Euro 6 models. It’s a big wafty car, and it bowls along nicely in D, and yes it won’t kick down in an instant, BUT those with ‘sport mode’ will appreciate it is exactly that. Completely turns it into a 220 bhp AWD animal, especially at traffic lights , roundabouts, and overtaking. I did wonder if the ‘sport mode’ actually alters the engine ecu in any way, sort of temporary Polestar. My goodness does it shift. First time I tried it at a roundabout, I was almost ‘in’ the roundabout in a jiffy, I forgot to turn the steering wheel quick enough, the power delivery is instant. These 2016 models must be the absolute best of the bunch. Mine has winter pack, yesterday ice on windscreen etc, so I jumped in, started the car, pressed the button twice, once for electric windscreen defrost, and twice for thrice power windscreen blower, jumped out, wiped all the other windows clear of mush, and by the time I had jumped back, the heated seat was toasty, and the windscreen completely clear. I just love it more every day.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 15:07   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Newer D5 models are far more powerful than the older ones for sure. They have much higher bhp and twin turbo's, plus a more refined engine from what I've heard.

The older ones had single turbo's and either 163bhp or 185bhp in the D5 variant.