Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Oil leak advice

Views : 1073

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2024, 15:02   #11
mikespike

Thanks. Will certainly raise a complaint. Unsurprising they are not registered with the motor ombudsman
mikespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 16:23   #12
ergonomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespike View Post
Turned out to be 2 items 1. Rocker cover 2. Crankshaft Oil Seal.
The cost you've been quoted sounds about right, sadly - I had both of these (plus camshaft oil seal), although while still under Volvo warranty.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 17:54   #13
rhd443

Quote:
Thanks. Will certainly raise a complaint. Unsurprising they are not registered with the motor ombudsman
Unfortunately these aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I have had one of these in the past, warranty wise, which was sponsored by Quinton Wilson at the time, they refused a claim when we found a water leak from the waterpump attached to the Cambelt.

They argued that the leak was there before we bought the vehicle (months prior to the leak starting as the coolant went down)

They did this from some photos, I have a mechanic friend who says they would only offer very low labour rates if I was successful on a claim, and they wouldn't pay for a new Cambelt to go back on, so they would have had us refit an older Cambelt to the car and only pay for the water pump and £30 labour rates to my garage mechanic.

He did the work for me, sent me an official invoice, I pushed warranty wise and complained, even asked Quinton Wilson to check the waterpump we have in our hands to prove to me that it had been leaking for months, and magically they paid up.

Still a cheap rate in the payment they sent, but they did pay up for the parts needed and I paid for the belt myself.

So to be honest, if you found a garage willing to be involved in a claim, go ahead, otherwise, just pay for it all to be done properly yourself and make a counter claim on them.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 19:17   #14
mikespike

I’m already at the latter stage. Had to authorise the repair myself today as they have point blanked refuse to cover.

Looking for someone who has been down the smalls claims route before.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 12:55   #15
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

Quote:
Turned out to be 2 items 1. Rocker cover 2. Crankshaft Oil Seal. Both of these items are explicitly covered in their handbook but as suspected they will try and find any excuse to avoid paying out.
Since the issue was recorded on the MoT which was done at the same time, they are denying responsibility under the following terms

"No liability will be accepted for, faults found at the time of service or as a result of the vehicle failing its annual MOT."

Cost to repair is nearly 2K so I'm not going to let this go easily and intend to go to small claims. Anyone have any experience/suggestions with this please?
Had mine replaced in January (not via warranty). The items gasket and cam cover cap were identified on a service, parts plus est 4.5 hours labour.
Turns out the gasket replacement isn't just a gasket, it's a gasket kit.

Cost was as below
(Parts were -6%, Labour -10%, Volvo Owners Club Discount)

4 * 30624306 Six Point Socket S £4.25 ea
2 * 31303504 Fuel Pipe £40.40 ea
2 * 31303505 Fuel Pipe £40.40 ea
2 * 31405314 Fuel Pipe £40.40 ea
4 * 31405753 O-ring kit £8.80 ea
1 * 32213460 Valve Cover £165.50
1 * 31339725 Cover £19.20
1 * 31430547 Gasket £12.40
4 * 32325259 Retaining Clamp £26.00 ea

Total £958.22 + Labour £456.75 + VAT = £1,697.96

Last edited by noodle1066; Feb 24th, 2024 at 12:58.
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 14:34   #16
mikespike

I have just received their formal response which includes a refusal to pay since the issue related to the 'Rocker Cover' which is not a warranty item rather than the 'Rocker Assembly' which is a warranty item.

Further stating that it is normal for the 'Rocker cover' to become out of shape due to normal thermal cycling of an engine going from hot to cold over an extended period of time and is not a “sudden and unforeseen mechanical breakage” in any way.

Is this a load of codswallop or is their some truth to this please?
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 20:11   #17
mikespike

anyone?
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 21:03   #18
rhd443

Quote:
I have just received their formal response which includes a refusal to pay since the issue related to the 'Rocker Cover' which is not a warranty item rather than the 'Rocker Assembly' which is a warranty item.

Further stating that it is normal for the 'Rocker cover' to become out of shape due to normal thermal cycling of an engine going from hot to cold over an extended period of time and is not a “sudden and unforeseen mechanical breakage” in any way.

Is this a load of codswallop or is their some truth to this please?
Back in the day the rocker covers were metal, now they are plastic and do change shape, but realistically this only happens if they have ever been taken off when warm/hot and refitted when it's gone cold. They are kept under a fair amount of tension and I've never had a plastic one leak.

I would give up on the chasing of the warranty myself. They wouldn't pay what was needed either, they'd have you refit an old gasket to a new cover or something stupid.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil leak, xc90