Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying and transporting road fuel in cans

Views : 1104

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:35   #1
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Default Buying and transporting road fuel in cans

First grass cutting of the weekend... I've got a lot to do.

Day didn't get off to a good start when I got right dressing down from a jumped up little Tw*t behind the counter at the local petrol station.

Filled my pickup up with diesel and then a 20L metal UN jerry can and 2 x 5L black plastic approved cans (also with diesel).

The 5 x 5L petrol cans, 4 green and one red (which I use for 2T mix) - again approved cans and suitably marked.

This is when the sport started, I got "you people break the law and I'm sick of it...." "I could call the Police and have you arrested".

Does anyone know if and what act of parliament covers this and what it says?

You read in lots of places that you can have up to 20 litres of Petrol in approved metal containers and 10 litres in plastic. Some garages say they will only allow 2 containers per customer - but usually this is guidelines not law. I know that if you intend to keep more than 30 litres of petrol at home you need to register.

I'm not being silly, the containers are strapped down in the back of my pickup and as I've got circa 10 acres to do with a tractor and then 4 different petrol lawnmowers, then hedge cutters and strimmers, I'm going to use 50%-70% of this fuel this weekend.

When may mate used to have a jetski we used to frequently fill up with 60-80 litres (in metal jerry cans) on a Saturday morning and hit the beach until we ran out....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 13:39.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:38   #2
Mint Cake

What flavour of "you people" are you ?
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:40   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
What flavour of "you people" are you ?
Now there's a question I didn't expect.... quite scruffy looking chubby bloke with a dirty battered 12 year old pickup truck and a face only my mother could love?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:46   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
First grass cutting of the weekend... I've got a lot to do.

Day didn't get off to a good start when I got right dressing down from a jumped up little Tw*t behind the counter at the local petrol station.

Filled my pickup up with diesel and then a 20L metal UN jerry can and 2 x 5L black plastic approved cans (also with diesel).

The 5 x 5L petrol cans, 4 green and one red (which I use for 2T mix) - again approved cans and suitably marked.

This is when the sport started, I got "you people break the law and I'm sick of it...." "I could call the Police and have you arrested".

Does anyone know if and what act of parliament covers this and what it says?

You read in lots of places that you can have up to 20 litres of Petrol in approved metal containers and 10 litres in plastic. Some garages say they will only allow 2 containers per customer - but usually this is guidelines not law. I know that if you intend to keep more than 30 litres of petrol at home you need to register.

I'm not being silly, the containers are strapped down in the back of my pickup and as I've got circa 10 acres to do with a tractor and then 4 different petrol lawnmowers, then hedge cutters and strimmers, I'm going to use 50%-70% of this fuel this weekend.

When may mate used to have a jetski we used to frequently fill up with 60-80 litres (in metal jerry cans) on a Saturday morning and hit the beach until we ran out....
I think the best way to avoid people like that is not to buy the fuel all in the same place. Then they'd be non the wiser.

All the same, did he/she sell the fuel in the cans to you? If they did, then obviously they're hypocrites... i.e., give you a big lecture, but are still happy to take the money.

As far as I'm aware, its unclear how much fuel you can carry in a vehicle in suitable cans. I think its at discretion of the Police as to if the amount you have is hazardous. I could be wrong on that, but I've never heard otherwise.

Storage at home

The rules vary based on the type of jerry can you may be using.

For example, a metal jerry can will hold 10 litres, and motorists are allowed two metal cans in total; a combined 20 litres of petrol.

You are legally prevented to store 20 litres in just one container, meaning you must have two if you wish to carry 20 litres.

Plastic cans however only hold five litres, limiting you to just 10 litres if you only have two plastic jerry cans.

Again, the same principal applies in that you can only have five litres per can.

If you want to combine both plastic and metal, then you can store 30 litres maximum, and it must be a combination of: 2 x 10 litre metal cans & 2 x 5 litre plastic cans.

Every can you use must have a sign or writing on them that states the liquid being carried is highly flammable.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 13:57.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:05   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have a 20lt metal jerrycan that I use to store mower petrol. I fill it up at the local garage and have done for the last 30 years with no issues.

I have just remembered an incident about 20 years ago. I went to the regular garage one evening to fill the jerrycan. Got said can out the car and went to fill it. A loud announcement over the tannoy NO CANS. I went into the kiosk and asked the butch looking woman behind the till why I couldn't fill the can. She said , 'we have too many driveoffs'. I explained I was a long standing regular customer and had no intention of driving off. She gave me a withering look and said they didn't need customers like me. I promptly told her I didn't need to be one of their customers. Put the can back in the car drove round the corner to another outlet and filled up without a problem. Needless to say, I have never set foot on that forecourt since.

Last edited by ITSv40; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 17:30.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:52   #6
Andymharrison

I think this is one of those subjects where nobody knows the law from the guidance.

When we started carrying propane we were told various things from 2 cylinders only, up to 200kg and also 333l.

The 333l may come from a HSE document that says private individuals can carry an aggregate of 333l of dangerous goods as long as all containers are UN type. Many plastic containers aren't.

Next time ask them to call the police and see if they have a clue!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andymharrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 19:12   #7
Whippy
Premier Member

I have a twenty litre can for the petrol but I have most of my diesel delivered (bunded fuel tank).
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 19:46   #8
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Now there's a question I didn't expect.... quite scruffy looking chubby bloke with a dirty battered 12 year old pickup truck and a face only my mother could love?

aks a regular bloke, not disimilar to plenty on the forum.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mint Cake For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 22:20   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

I used to be responsible for a few fuel sites and the law is very clear.

You are allowed to hold up to 30 liters provided that it is in suitable containers without the need for any kind of licence. Might have changed since I retired 11 years ago but I doubt it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 06:34   #10
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Are you a white guy?