Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 819602

Replies : 6252

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 06:27   #691
Othen
Premier Member

Default Red car - no bids

I noticed this late 80s middling car didn't get an opening bid (the SP was £3,000):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...rdt=true&rt=nc

... it looked quite a nice car, and the chap had done some recommissioning work on it (new fuel tank, main fuel pump, fuel tank pump, referbed brake callipers, new discs n pads, front lower bottom ball joints, brake pipes, prop shaft, cambelt and water pump, engine service, new electric Ariel (sic), new rear springs, front brake disc guards, nice stereo) during the lockdown - but still no takers.

I think this is another indicator of the market and rather supports my view that many sellers think their later 240s are worth much more than they really are. I've revised my price guide down a bit in view of the Bude car and the one with the broken fuel gauge. Middling 1980s cars sell for £1,000 to £2,300.

It looks (to me) like the seller of this red car has spent a bit on the car recently and expects to recoup all of this costs on the sale. That hardly ever happens - it is still just a 30 year old car that is competing with Vauxhalls and Fords. I suppose we will see it again on eBay soon :-)

Last edited by Othen; May 9th, 2021 at 06:53. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 06:49   #692
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It might even be a genuine bid!
I notice the car with the broken fuel gauge now has 9 bids and the price is up to about £1,500. All the bidders are marked: 'private listing - bidder identity protected'. In a weak moment I couldn't help thinking the seller might have discovered the art of shill bidding :-)
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:13   #693
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I notice the car with the broken fuel gauge now has 9 bids and the price is up to about £1,500. All the bidders are marked: 'private listing - bidder identity protected'. In a weak moment I couldn't help thinking the seller might have discovered the art of shill bidding :-)
You can set the bidders identities to be private when you list something Alan, if you do that's the result.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:16   #694
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You can set the bidders identities to be private when you list something Alan, if you do that's the result.
I'd suspected as much Dave. In the same weak moment I wondered whether someone would do that in advance as a cover for shill bidding. I know, I should trust in human nature... :-)
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:06   #695
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd suspected as much Dave. In the same weak moment I wondered whether someone would do that in advance as a cover for shill bidding. I know, I should trust in human nature... :-)
Usually it's because they don't want anyone official to find out their identity Alan. Often their listings will say something like "No Paypal" as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 9th, 2021, 18:47   #696
Thekilt

The red one is back up now at a Starting price of £2,800. Also stating he won’t drop it down to £2,500. Again seems to be dreaming...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49286
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 19:05   #697
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
The red one is back up now at a Starting price of £2,800. Also stating he won’t drop it down to £2,500. Again seems to be dreaming...

Thank you.

I’m a bit confused by the seller, if this is the last time it will be re-listed, what happens when it fails to get a bid at the opening price (which seems very likely indeed to me at £2800)? He also says somewhere he has to get rid of this car - so I suppose he is bluffing?

PS. Ive just read the ad again and can see the chap says it will put the car away in his garage if he doesn’t sell it. I don’t believe his wife will let him do that - so I think he is bluffing :-)

Last edited by Othen; May 9th, 2021 at 19:20.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:30   #698
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ive just read the ad again and can see the chap says it will put the car away in his garage if he doesn’t sell it. I don’t believe his wife will let him do that - so I think he is bluffing :-)
Keep the Volvo and get rid of the wife!

Old May 11th, 2021, 06:37   #699
Thekilt

This one will be good to watch. Shame it’s not a saloon as I would be interested. No reserve and no but it now so no expectation from the seller. This will surely end at a reasonable price and put the others to shame.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 10:45   #700
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
This one will be good to watch. Shame it’s not a saloon as I would be interested. No reserve and no but it now so no expectation from the seller. This will surely end at a reasonable price and put the others to shame.

It's a high starting price for a car that's been sat a minimum of 6 months and has no MoT though.

Will be surprised if it gets any bids, if it does it's likely to be from a dealer who is hoping to turn a fast buck - watch out for this one reappearing in a different location in the future at a higher price, all polished up, new wheel trims and a years MoT on it!