Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026350

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 12:17   #2531
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
The liners can also be edge sealed with "E" or "D" profile (black) self adhesive draught excluder or weather strip (depends on the gap for thickness required)
Providing the plastic liner is clean the strips will stick well:~

The self tapping screws can also be stainless and providing the holes are painted, treat the screw threads with copper grease then fasten up.

Done the above with the liners purchased (as previous mail etc)
It is worth treating all the hidden body parts with a wax treatment to include the wheel arch lips.
Regards Bob.
I'd avoid sealing the liner to the arch if at all possible. Any moisture above the liner (however it gets there) will settle on the liner then run to the edges and run out the gap - or not! If it settles on the inside of the metal wheel arch, it will promote corrosion, much like having no drain holes in a sill will cause the sill to rot from the inside out.

Draught excluder could be used to prevent rattling but i would leav gaps at strategic intervals to provide drainage for any moisture that might get above the liner.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:31   #2532
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The self tapping screws can also be stainless and providing the holes are painted, treat the screw threads with copper grease then fasten up.

Regards Bob.
Many thanks Bob,
I'll replace the zinc plated screws (all I had at the time) with either stainless or plastic in a couple of weeks time when I'm happy the liners have settled into their final size and shape.
Alan
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:35   #2533
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd avoid sealing the liner to the arch if at all possible. Any moisture above the liner (however it gets there) will settle on the liner then run to the edges and run out the gap - or not! If it settles on the inside of the metal wheel arch, it will promote corrosion, much like having no drain holes in a sill will cause the sill to rot from the inside out.

Draught excluder could be used to prevent rattling but i would leav gaps at strategic intervals to provide drainage for any moisture that might get above the liner.
Good points Dave and Bob,

The way the 740 liners fit they are slightly open at the front and the back. If any moisture (condensation?) does collect inside the cavity it should run down either side of the liner and be able to drain out at the bottom.

I'll probably take the liners off every 2-3 years and re-coat the metal with Waxoil.

Alan
Old May 10th, 2021, 16:45   #2534
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Quote "I'll probably take the liners off every 2-3 years and re-coat the metal with Waxoil."

The liners on the two Volvo cars I own 240 & V70 also have a wax treatment (diluted with clean oil) this is renewed every 12 months but normally it is only a quick routine as the condition is generally spot on.

The wheel arch edges or lip also receive a full coat as well as the plastic liner- the 240 rear liners have a seal (self adhesive) and again this also receives a coat prior to installing back etc- once the fluid flashes off a seal of wax is formed and if done properly moisture isn't a problem- never effected my car.

A real venerable area on the 240 is the front section of the rear wheel arch ie the lead into the sill (look for a rubber grommet in the arch-remove and spay the internals) I would recommend liners with this extension and again once clean cover the arch well with the wax treatment prior to fitting the liner.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 18:54   #2535
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Quote "I'll probably take the liners off every 2-3 years and re-coat the metal with Waxoil."

The liners on the two Volvo cars I own 240 & V70 also have a wax treatment (diluted with clean oil) this is renewed every 12 months but normally it is only a quick routine as the condition is generally spot on.

The wheel arch edges or lip also receive a full coat as well as the plastic liner- the 240 rear liners have a seal (self adhesive) and again this also receives a coat prior to installing back etc- once the fluid flashes off a seal of wax is formed and if done properly moisture isn't a problem- never effected my car.

A real venerable area on the 240 is the front section of the rear wheel arch ie the lead into the sill (look for a rubber grommet in the arch-remove and spay the internals) I would recommend liners with this extension and again once clean cover the arch well with the wax treatment prior to fitting the liner.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
That is very diligent of you Bob - I dare say the average 240 or V70 will get no protection of preventative treatment at all. The RB will be somewhere between: I have no intention whatsoever of paying £200 for a set of proper rear liners, but the 740 ones I have adapted will give enormously better protection (than none at all on the standard set up) for a tenner.

My own estimation (based on no evidence, apart from my own experience) is that removing the liners I have adapted every few years to re-seal them will work pretty well and will aid the longevity of the RB. I may do it a bit more often, but there will be a balance between disturbing something that works pretty well and applying maintenance.

What I do know is what I have done with the 740 liners will be a great deal better than doing nothing at all :-)

Best wishes,

Alan
Old May 10th, 2021, 19:00   #2536
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Some pictures that may be of use:~
These are liners via Volvogue modified with E.P.DM. seals as above notes- full coverage front and rear but all hidden areas are wax treated prior to installation.
Regards Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arch 1.jpg (170.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Arch 2.jpg (116.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Arch 3.jpg (132.3 KB, 10 views)
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:02   #2537
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Some pictures that may be of use:~
These are liners via Volvogue modified with E.P.DM. seals as above notes- full coverage front and rear but all hidden areas are wax treated prior to installation.
Regards Bob.
They look excellent Bob,

I was in communication with Volvovogue some time ago; unfortunately it no longer imports the liners (from Lokari in Finland I believe) so the only option would have been to purchase from a German company; the cost being about £200, which was too much for a tightwad like me :-)

You may have seen the results I achieved with a 740 liner (that cost a tenner) adapted to fit; is it as good as the Lokari ones you have? No, they are not - but they aren't bad either:

... my apology if you have already seen this picture - I'm happy with the outcome and think them a really good investment (both in time and money).

You will be aware that Volvo fitted plastic liners to the front wheel arches of 240s - I had to remove mine (to fit a radio antenna I think) about a year ago. I should think that was the first time it had been off the car in 40 years but there was no rust. The liner had obviously done its job well, so I sprayed everything I could get to with Hammerite paint and put it together. My point here is that I don't think taking the covers off annually is necessary, and that is only based on my experience with the factory fitted front ones.

Thank you for the photos - I'm envious of the Lokari liners but happier to save £180 with some from a 740/940 :-)

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 10th, 2021 at 20:03. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:27   #2538
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I cant remember what I paid for the liners Alan but I did think that they were expensive at the time but maybe nearer the £100 mark without looking for the invoice.
I did have a thought of using the liners for reproducing in fiberglass but other things to do!
If the arches are protected as you have done then it is worthwhile-regardless of fit a wax maintenance routine will benefit- the next lucky owner will love you!
Keep up the good work
Regards Bob.
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:53   #2539
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've been in the loft Alan and organised all the parts, checked the garage and elsewhere but no liner so I must have sold it at some point. I'm after another breaker so I'll let you know when I get one.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:03   #2540
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've been in the loft Alan and organised all the parts, checked the garage and elsewhere but no liner so I must have sold it at some point. I'm after another breaker so I'll let you know when I get one.
Many thanks Luke.
Alan