Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drilled Airbox

Views : 5441

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 21:06   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
Cold air = denser = more fuel required
warm air = more volume = less fuel required

If you can live with 20MPG, pull the warm air pipe off that comes from the manifold into the lower airbox and drill a few holes. This should replicate cone filter performance levels.
Did that a couple of months ago, thinking the valve might be stuck and i was sucking warm air in all the time, not made any difference.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 21:25   #12
Dog_Book
Idiot

the hot air valve is for only when the engine is cold anyway its supposed to shut when warm so doing away with the whole set up wont hurt :P

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 22:01   #13
HandsomeRob

Erm. Either I am blind as a bat, or I couldn't see any warm-air inlet.

Has anyone sussed what the 'add on' box bit is for yet by the way?

R
HandsomeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:03   #14
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
Erm. Either I am blind as a bat, or I couldn't see any warm-air inlet.

Has anyone sussed what the 'add on' box bit is for yet by the way?

R
.......you don`t have a warm air inlet on a turbo!!...

...i believe that "add on" box is something of a resonator to help even out the air flow before it goes through the filter....

......just to add the standard intake setup on the T4 is good for up to 250bhp before you need things altered , you may be just messing things up and get problems further down the line......with just the foam removed as i have done it is a fair bit louder, but now it gets on my BL nerves....maybe it`s the age thingy!!!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 09:08.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 13:53   #15
HandsomeRob

Ace, cheers. The resonator box baffled me (no pun intended) as it only adds about an extra 20mm of depth, if that.

Performance (Pipercross) panel filter has arrived, so will try that out later and report back!

R
HandsomeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 22:20   #16
m1tch1987
Premier Member

The OEM intake system will be finely tuned after much research by Volvo, an example is a wierd resonator tube within the OEM Mazda MX5 mark 1 intake system, if you change the OEM pipe for a straight bit you lose some torque, which is why for OEM intakes I would keep it as OEM, Volvo would have tried different setups and found the most optimal to run with the engine and OEM mapping etc.

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 22:31   #17
twinturbo

Intake design on naturally aspirated cars is a lot more important than blown cars. removing resonators on NA cars can affect power and torque adversley. Turbos are less of a problem as they just eat whatever they can get

TT
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 09:50   #18
popuptoaster
Master Member

Cold air feeds are also only really important for wide open throttle apllications where you need the maximum volume of air you can squeeze in, for normal driving you get better torque and engine response at partial throttle openings with a warm air feed, cold air feeds will compromise mid range tractibility for slightly more power at WOT, so you need to decide if the trade off is worth it.

Its also worth noting that on the 940 turbo, the high pressure version has extra holes in the otherwise almost identical airbox compared to the low pressure variant.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 11:26   #19
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
Cold air feeds are also only really important for wide open throttle apllications where you need the maximum volume of air you can squeeze in, for normal driving you get better torque and engine response at partial throttle openings with a warm air feed, cold air feeds will compromise mid range tractibility for slightly more power at WOT, so you need to decide if the trade off is worth it.

Its also worth noting that on the 940 turbo, the high pressure version has extra holes in the otherwise almost identical airbox compared to the low pressure variant.
.....i see you have applied the science of it which is great.......i had the Volvo 940 2litre HP turbo which had the similar box.....

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 11:34   #20
cseventy

Drilling the airbox without extra cold air feeding in, is probably going to reduce performance when the engine bay gets hot - you may get some extra noise, but it simply isn't worth it.

Do some proper modification like an uprated intercooler, race cat etc. if it's anything like Trionic, the Volvo ECU will knock back if you have inadequate cooling available.

Last edited by cseventy; Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:38.
cseventy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airbox, filter, induction