Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuelling issues - engine just cuts out

Views : 1551

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 17:40   #1
jumboduster

Question Fuelling issues - engine just cuts out

Hi there,

First time on here, so lets see how this goes!

I have just bought a volvo v70 d5 (183hp). Running back home on the m25 the other day, the engine just cut out suddenly. No rough running before hand, and no engine management light either. Pulled on to the hard shoulder and called the AA. The AA guy suspected a faulty fuel pump. However I think it could be anything to do with the fuel system.

The car starts no problem, but when the engine warms up, it just suddenly cuts. Sometimes restarts, sometimes doesn't. I was holding the revs at about 2.5k and there was some knocking just before it cut out (I would imagine the engine being staved of fuel).

I have a mobile mechanic coming out tomorrow to do a diagnostic check on it. I tried changing fuel filter today but so difficult to get off so am going to offer the mechanic a go.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or any ideas of the best way to go about solving this problem? I will keep you posted with the diagnostics outcome.

Luke
jumboduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 18:09   #2
Coventry
Master Member

Could be the fuel filter so definitely change that for the small cost. They can be quite tight. When was it last changed?
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 18:16   #3
jumboduster

don't think it has ever been changed! The car has done 98000 miles now
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 18:23   #4
Coventry
Master Member

!

If it's never been changed then it would be a very good idea to renew it regardless! Even if it's not the source of your problems, it's well overdue.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 18:33   #5
jumboduster

of course! For some reason I don't think fuel filter replacement is in the service schedule, but it definitely should be!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 15:41   #6
jumboduster

ok, so sorted filter out... now been changed and no luck! The swirl flap servo motor loom was loose and therefore wasn't working. However this doesn't help the actual issue.

The diagnostic came up with inlet manifold pressure sensor (map sensor I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). I have ordered a new map sensor from GSF parts costing about £40 in total. Volvo wanted £340 or so! Maybe the guy didn't have his glasses on!

Any other thoughts on this matter?
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 15:49   #7
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

what code reader was used
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 16:01   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboduster View Post
. I was holding the revs at about 2.5k and there was some knocking just before it cut out (I would imagine the engine being staved of fuel).
Think you may have answered your own question here.
Diesels do knock before they cut out when starved of fuel,

Would check fuel pump too

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 16:24   #9
jumboduster

Not sure what code reader was used. It was done by a mobile mechanic, very good chap, helped with the fuel filter too!

Thanks bob, are there any ways of knowing if the fuel pump is working or not? I know the one in the fuel tank is, so if anything it will be the high pressure pump! I would rather not spend out on something like that unless I know for sure that's the fault! Is it an electric pump? Can't really work it out from looking at it!

cheers
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 17:14   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Sorry can't help further, my Volvos are petrol, just know diesels make a racket as they run out of fuel.

Would have thought High Pressure pump would have given signs of failure - poor running etc rather than just shutting down.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fuel pump, fuel sensor