Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Filter Used For Screenwash?

Views : 3366

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 20:02   #1
SwedishInside

Post Fuel Filter Used For Screenwash?

Can one of these inline fuel filter be used as a screenwash filter? My car has already got one connected between the washer bottle pipe to the washer jets? I guess this is not original Volvo?

Could the filter be too thick for the washer pump to push the screenwash through?

Can I replace it with the same one? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Last edited by SwedishInside; Jun 13th, 2010 at 20:27.
SwedishInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 20:12   #2
gmain1967
Premier Member

Have to ask the question - why would you want one?!

If you only put clean water and screenwash fluid in, where can any dirt and/or contaminants come from? Unless you run out and fill it from a stream or something, why would you need to have an in-line filter?

If you need anything, I would suggest a very fine metal gauze in the filler neck of the reservoir would suffice.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 20:22   #3
SwedishInside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Have to ask the question - why would you want one?!

If you only put clean water and screenwash fluid in, where can any dirt and/or contaminants come from? Unless you run out and fill it from a stream or something, why would you need to have an in-line filter?

If you need anything, I would suggest a very fine metal gauze in the filler neck of the reservoir would suffice.

Well my car already has one of these filters connected where I have said (from the washer bottle to the washer jets) BUT... this was already there when I bought the car... I don't see any purpose-made screen wash filters like the one in my car and the picture shown above. I was wanting to replace the filter (hence the first question/post) or should I just remove it and join the pipes together with an inline pipe connector..

I only ever use clean water and new screen wash. If I ever ran out I wouldn't use any river water.
Come to think of it, I guess it is a bit overkill having a filter there. It is probably making my wahser pump working harder as it is.

I guess there must already be a filter inside the washer bottle?

Should I remove it? Does anyone else have one of those filters in the location I have described?

Last edited by SwedishInside; Jun 13th, 2010 at 20:29.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 20:30   #4
gmain1967
Premier Member

Couldn't asnwer for an 850 as never had one, but IMO, if there is a fuel filter that's been fitted in-line, I'm amazed the washer pump hasn't cried enough, trying to force fluid through!!

I'd just join the pipe and leave it at that. One less hassle to worry about!
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 20:35   #5
SwedishInside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Couldn't asnwer for an 850 as never had one, but IMO, if there is a fuel filter that's been fitted in-line, I'm amazed the washer pump hasn't cried enough, trying to force fluid through!!

I'd just join the pipe and leave it at that. One less hassle to worry about!
Interesting...
I have always thought my washer pump was stressed... (This is why I was checking it out today, I thought it was a blocked filter)

I think it might be wise to remove the filter now.

Does anyone with an 850 have a filter attached that is original (put there by Volvo).

I am thinking maybe this filter is not originally Volvo's idea. More than likely someone else's idea. (It was a company car)

Last edited by SwedishInside; Jun 13th, 2010 at 20:37.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 00:55   #6
SwedishInside

Question

Here is a photo from eBay:

This is from a Volvo 850 1995 Estate. It has the same filter as mine has got!
So maybe mine is original and was put there by Volvo. If this is the case, where can I get a replacement?

Last edited by SwedishInside; Jun 14th, 2010 at 00:59.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:16   #7
gmain1967
Premier Member

Well that's a new one on me!

Guess it must be a Swedish thing, to stop hunters having problems with moose c**p clogging the jets....!!

Best of luck with a replacement.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:37   #8
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishInside View Post
Can one of these inline fuel filter be used as a screenwash filter? My car has already got one connected between the washer bottle pipe to the washer jets? I guess this is not original Volvo?

Could the filter be too thick for the washer pump to push the screenwash through?

Can I replace it with the same one? Is it worth it?

Thanks

There should be two similar filters on a estate version and just one on a saloon...
The estate has a straight through affair at the rear as shown above and at the front has one with 2 nipples on the top..One of the nipples has the screenwasher pipe connected to it and the other has a ball bearing in it...
Quite what purpose this serves is a mystery but i expect it has something to do with maintaining pressure in the system or removing air?...
I would expect the filters could be purchased from Volvo but tbh, i dont see the point....

Jod
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 21:36   #9
phatboy130
1999 V70 XT Auto

I had one of those filters on the rear washer jet of my estate, it was clogged up and I just pulled it off to get the washer working again.

TOP TIP - if you pull the filter of to throw it away, to rejoin the pipes, grab an empty handwash bottle, unscrew the pumpy bit, and cut off an inch or so of the pipe, et voila, you can now use it to join your washer pipes back together minus the nasty old filter, I did this and it worked a treat
phatboy130 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phatboy130 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 22:01   #10
Eamon Talty

I have one of the original Volvo filters (not fuel filter type) on my 850 estate.

It keeps getting blocked with black particles which I think is rubber bits from inside of the black pipes.

Without the filter my jets would get well blocked!

I suppose I should renew all the washer pipes (what a drag) but currently I keep disconnecting the filter ever three months or so and backflusing it under the tap.

One day I may change all the pipes but whether that day will come or not ...........???????

Tags
filter, pipe, screen wash, screenwash