Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak 2014 s60 diesel geartronic

Views : 643

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 21:53   #1
Nuneaton Volvo

Default Oil leak 2014 s60 diesel geartronic

Hi I have a 2014 s60 D4 geartronic diesel. Had it 6 months. Seems to have an oil leak but local mechanic can see a leak. Drinking a litre of oil every 3 weeks any help appreciated
Nuneaton Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 22:36   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuneaton Volvo View Post
Hi I have a 2014 s60 D4 geartronic diesel. Had it 6 months. Seems to have an oil leak but local mechanic can see a leak. Drinking a litre of oil every 3 weeks any help appreciated
Is the engine four-cylinder or five-cylinder?

It might be consuming oil rather than leaking it.

Oil consumption in litres / miles might be useful to work out.
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 21:18   #3
Nuneaton Volvo

4 cylinder.. Drinking half a litre per 200 miles
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 22:18   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Might be a case of the VEA chocolate block. These 4 cylinders are renowned for oil leaks and oil burning. Even the newer ones which are improved still have issues. We had a V60 and it just had to go.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 08:49   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Might be a case of the VEA chocolate block. These 4 cylinders are renowned for oil leaks and oil burning. Even the newer ones which are improved still have issues. We had a V60 and it just had to go.
Sounds like blocked oil control piston rings, i.e. oil consumption and not a leak.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 19:51   #6
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Sounds like blocked oil control piston rings, i.e. oil consumption and not a leak.
Could be both if the rocker cover gasket has failed too?
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 09:15   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuneaton Volvo View Post
Did you mean to say, ".... local mechanic can't see a leak."?
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 19:41   #8
Nuneaton Volvo

Yes local mechanic that serviced and did mot see a leak.. So if it's a piston or block issue what would be an average cost to fix. It's a 2014 plate d4 geartronic 114k miles.. Or should I cut my losses and get rid
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 09:12   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

A challenge is to have enough confidence that the problem has been correctly diagnosed, and that the only problem is blocked oil control rings.

Assuming that the problem is blocked oil control rings then new pistons and rings of the modified design will be required, which will require disassembly of a large part of the engine.

Then it might be found that the bores are scored or the valve oil seals in the cylinder head are knackered etc.

The first thing to do, therefore, is to try to establish what the issues are without disassembly, and perhaps another member can say whether or not that might be possible.

Assuming that it is just a case of replacing the pistons and rings, then you'll need to find a garage to quote for the work and to tell you whether or not they've included VAT in their quotation.

I can say that the cost will be several thousands of pounds and it won't add to the value of the car.

Then again, if you decide that you want to replace your car with a newer D4 with the redesigned piston rings, then that will cost you even more, and a lot of the additional outlay will be wiped off the new car's value as soon as you drive it away.

There are members here who have gotten rid, and there are other members who have bitten the bullet and had the work done.

Perhaps it would be helpful if some members from each group were to join in and tell us how things seem with the issue behind them.

Then there are now lots of YouTube videos about using piston soaks to dissolve the carbon deposits and solve the issue for the price of a bottle of the solvent. My guess is that any garage that has a chance of charging thousands to overhaul the engine is unlikely to want to investigate this, leaving it to owners to try this out at their own risk.

No easy answer, but peace of mind must also be considered as an influencing factor.

Last edited by Sotosound; Nov 17th, 2023 at 09:43.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 17:15   #10
Nuneaton Volvo

Hi any further help would be appreciated