Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are HIDs interchangeable with a non HID car?

Views : 469

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 11:24   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Are HIDs interchangeable with a non HID car?

Hi all, as the title suggests really, realistically speaking the t4 is dead as it just needs too much work, so I'm wondering if I can take the HIDs out and fit them to the 2.0 se, presumably I'll need the lights themselves, the ballasts, level switch from the rear suspension arm and the associated wiring, is it that simple?

Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 19:06   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Can't see why it would be a difficult swap-others will no doubt know for sure-don't forget that unless the SE already has them you'll also need the headlamp washers and pump/pipework to make them work.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 20:10   #3
gatos
Premier Member

The headlamps on their own, are plug and play. With regards to the level bracket at the back, you will find out that you also need the rear arm, as it has a small bracket/ballpoint where the level sensor attaches too. Then, when it comes to the wiring, it will be an absolute nightmare, as you will have to remove the entire interior, including the dashboard to trace where each and one of the wires goes to.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but in the end, I gave up and just fitted the xenons on the car and left the manual headlight adjuster switch to control them.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 12:09   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yeah that sounds like a right pig of a job, I'm unsure on the legality of not having the self levelling though, plus the wash wipe has never worked on either car, or on the orange one, is there an x40 on the planet where the system actually works haha, but yeah I think I'll just stick some nightbreakers in instead lol.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:47   #5
dingov70
Master Member

MOT tester here again , you can retrofit HID projector light units into a vehicle that originally had reflector style lights . YOU CANNOT just fit HID or LED lights into reflector style headlights to use as dip beam light .

You must ensure that the levelling motors are refitted & do move the lights when operated , not every car has self levelling units & during test we follow the manual

4.1.5. Levelling devices

Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:

switching on the dipped beam headlamps
operating the manual levelling device
checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
returning the levelling device control to its original position

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Sometimes it is not easy to determine if the self-levelling systems work. In such cases you should give the benefit of the doubt.

My V70 P1 was equipped with ABM projector lights & were stunning once equipped with LED light sources .
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 18:34   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Thanks, that's very informative, so if I were to fit the hid lights (the whole units, not trying to put hid bulbs in the original lights or anything silly like that) I shouldn't have a problem with the automatic levelling then, because it won't be there and so can't be tested if it doesn't exist? I am concerned about the wash wipe though as thats never worked, all 3 of the v40s I've had have been equipped with it but neither the wash or the wipe part has ever worked at all.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 19:57   #7
dingov70
Master Member

In a nut shell YES , go ahead . Remember if it NOT fitted , we cannot test it & we have to give the benefit of doubt , so remove wipers if you want . The test regs refer to washer systems IF FITTED , insert blanking grommets to holes & all is good
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 18:00   #8
clarkey1984
Premier Member

That's great, that's what I'll do then, depending on how the SE gets on at its mot at the beginning of December all of this may be academic, but provided it's not a grotesque amount of work to get it through I'll be doing this swap for sure, thanks again