Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smart motorways and accidents.

Views : 9236

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 01:13   #41
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Lorries may have stickers, even huge ones, but these won't be seen as often. Maybe by other lorry drivers, but not by passenger car drivers.
The truck I drive, with a back door 2.4m wide by 2.7m high, does about 1000 miles per week on a motorway, my car, which could accomodate a sticker less than 24cm across, does about 1000 miles a year on the motorway. Given that you want motorway drivers to see the message, and not just when the incidents have occurred, trucks would be far more effective. If you got some (or even just one) of the major retailers on board your message would be well viewed, it's why companies spend money putting their own name on the back doors normally.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 06:33   #42
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
The truck I drive, with a back door 2.4m wide by 2.7m high, does about 1000 miles per week on a motorway, my car, which could accomodate a sticker less than 24cm across, does about 1000 miles a year on the motorway. Given that you want motorway drivers to see the message, and not just when the incidents have occurred, trucks would be far more effective. If you got some (or even just one) of the major retailers on board your message would be well viewed, it's why companies spend money putting their own name on the back doors normally.
Honestly, Dave, distances covered by lorries Vs private cars didn't even cross my mind.

You are right, of course, and thank you.

And I wonder am I right with that "logo on website" reward for... Well for "logo on a lorry".

After all it would be just an exchange of advertisement for advertisement.

On one side- one or other transport company, on other- non profit .. what.. what to even call it?

Asking let's say BP to have its logo on website, in exchange for that 1p off..

Can any of these be done at all?

Or is there yet different way?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:41   #43
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Now, I've got some ideas that I'm not sure about...

Some of these were rather.. daring...

So I asked a.. friend

Now, I'd like to point out that his answers and ideas gave me a bit to think about, and I'd like the credit to go where it belongs... but I won't decide for him. Member here, that's all I say.

"Learning period"
I agree that badly performed manoeuvre may bring more harm than good. Then asking lots of drivers to familiarise with corridor idea, but not to perform it "just yet"... I think it stinks a bit. Anyone with an idea how to overcome this?

Sponsors...

This is, quite frankly, the thing I would rather not put myself into.
It's way too easy to make a mistake there, way too easy for someone to ask "and where precisely did that money go?"
And then try to answer that.
So myself, I'd much rather have sponsorship provided as "goods". Let's say that some company or person actually pays, directly to print shop, for number of stickers.
Or another simply puts boxes of such stickers next to tills at their shops. Free to take.
No money (directly) involved, and each instance of such help recognised on main website.

Involvement of organisations like RoSPA, IAM, AA, RAC..
If belief is to be given to TheSun, AA has burned it's fingers on this idea last year.
Or shall I rather say: it had its fingers burned by no-one else but IAM.
To put it short
"This idea might work or not, we think there are better ways".
I'm searching and searching- I can't see any mention of these "other, better ways" being even proposed!

Stalling tactics?

I can't even find what exactly was asked and what exactly was answered. Thus, I can't even quote anyone. All I have is that TheSun article, I think I gave link in one of first posts.

And that would bring notion of seeking support from government.

For one thing- looks like they had a go at it already (AA Vs IAM).
On another..

Given current state of.. mess.. in a certain house, I think immediate point of view of Mr John Ordinary, when he sees "government supported thing" would be skin to "What kind of mess they're creating now and why do I have a feeling I'm being milked for money again? I'm not going there unless dragged in."

Just like CTA said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
Perhaps if one could 'persuade' Joe Public without disclosing that it is an EU 'thing' we might get somewhere. And deffo not say it is an idea form 'The Loony Bin'... sorry, Houses Of Parliament.
Wouldn't it be better to play not the card of "with government" but rather "despite the government"?

Or not mention government at all!

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 13:02.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:29   #44
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Some good ideas and interesting thoughts worthy of development there, Thomas. I also would endorse the suggestions put forward by 'CTA' and 'DaveNP', both of which would undoubtedly help to get the message across.

On a note of caution, I would be guarded about putting too much emphasis upon a single article in any 'Red Top' tabloid newspaper. They usually have 'an axe to grind' and are not overly regarded by many for their credibility. (Apologies to any readers of The Sun!) Hard facts and statistics are generally considered to be much more convincing than anecdotal evidence.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:36   #45
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

On a note of caution, I would be guarded about putting too much emphasis upon a single article in any 'Red Top' tabloid newspaper. They usually have 'an axe to grind' and are not overly regarded by many for their credibility. (Apologies to any readers of The Sun!) Hard facts and statistics are generally considered to be much more convincing than anecdotal evidence.

Regards, John.
Pretty much why I used wording of "if belief is to be given" and tried to find better sources to either confirm or deny the story...

Yet, just the existence of this article is telling me that it is something to be careful with.. No matter what the hidden truth is.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:46   #46
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

However, if I search not for IAMs interaction with AA on this issue, but just for AAs idea:

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsr...-and-move-over

Thing is, I'm not proposing any changes to highway code.
That would need cooperation of Dept for Transport, and at least at the moment I don't think this idea can have their support.

Of course they'll turn up when there's credit to be taken, no worries there.

But until then , all I propose are LEGAL things.
Slow down, just as AA advised.
When forming a corridor, get as far left or right (depending on which lane you're on) as you can but without crossing the dotted or solid lines. I assume that being illegal (CONFIRMATION NEEDED).
And leave yourself enough space that you can, shall need arise, move over further.

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:58.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 21:24   #47
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Ok, here's the beginning of the plan.
Not going live until issues are resolved, but it needs some beginning nevertheless:

1 prepare website
-layout: 2 main "buttons" signed "short way (YouTube clip) and you've possibly seen it already" and "long way- involves a bit of reading" (bit of writing to be done, explaining how motorways are closed, ambulances let to run upstream, time losses, what is corridor and how it can save both lives and time)
-another 2 buttons with "supporters and what can you do" and "downloads"

Downloads containing projects of stickers that can be downloaded and printed, segregated by these and more factors:
Big ones
Small ones
Ones for bumper(opaque)
Ones for rear windscreen (transparent) and these again:
To be put on the outside
To be put inside(inverted)

Supporters and what can you do section.

As described above, list of helpful things that can be done or sponsored. From printing and distributing few stickers or leaflets up to hiring film studios. Segregated by importance and influence. Logos of companies that provided help.

Background for website being milked up grid, sections to eventually fill with logos of supporting companies. This way logos can be seen without opening subpage, and that means they can be seen by everyone entering the site, and that, in turn, means it will be more attractive for companies to provide support and have logo placed.

Making first clip (associated with "short way" button)- no ability to use film studio or any professionals. Only thing coming to head is ether filming myself (bad idea) or patching up from existing clips, from other countries, from clips with UK emergency services actions, etc.
Needs to be strong enough to become viral.

Needs to be short. 1-2 minutes max, shorter the better, provided that it does the job.
Down to the point of clip within first 20 seconds.
This is aimed at grabbing the attention of viewer before he/she decides against watching.
Short, simple scenes. In a pattern of:
Motorway traffic scene (1 second)
Sign "got stuck?" (1 second)
Traffic scene again (1 second)
(Actually I'd like words to be superimposed on video, but that's above my head)
Sign "comfy in there?" (1 sec)
Scene of girl putting up lipstick in car(1 sec)
Sign "why aren't we moving?"(1 second)
Scene of man, bloody face, in upside-down car(0.5 second, flash)
Sign "I'm late!"(1 second)
Scene: man, agitated, on the phone, in car(1 second)
Sign "I don't want to be here"(1sec)
Scene: man in upside down car again, 1second.
Scene: view from inside of emergency car(ambulance? Fire engine?) At the back of the queue of cars.
Voiceover :
-no, we won't get trough. Send one from the other end, close motorway.
- but that will take 20 minutes! Has the guy got that?
- I don't know. But its still quicker than we can do it

Sign:"MAKE" (0.25-0.4 sec)
Sign: "ROOM!" (0.25-0.4 sec)

Continue clip with explanation of corridors working.

End with voiceover "Do you want to save a life?"
Last second: corridors logo (green picture unless better one can be made) and below- website.

Set it all up.

Start wildfire by releasing clip (simultaneous Twitter, facepalm, other gizmos)

Hold the fingers crossed.

2 main difficulties at this stage:

Building the website. It's been some 20 years since I was playing with html. I can do it, but how long it will take?

Patching up the clip. Just as above.

Smaller issue: need few projects of stickers for download section.
Been thinking about using "Keep calm and..." theme. Maybe instead of crown a steering wheel.. or corridors logo if one can be made (that green picture whilst clear to understand, is still ugly).

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 21:28.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 13:01   #48
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

It is interesting to note that discussions are presently taking place in the 'House' regarding the safety and future of Dynamic Hard Shoulder or 'Smart' motorways. It is also being discussed on the wireless as I type. Watch this space ...

Perhaps your campaign may not be required after all, Thomas!

Regards, John.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 13:10   #49
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Won't be long before those discussions switch to ALR "smart" motorways given the amount of deaths currently in front of coroners and the admission that currently there is no smart technology and stopped vehicle detections replies on being noticed on CCTV or a call from public or police.

Happpy breakdowns when you can't coast upto 1.6 miles to the next emergency refuge area, you can't get onto the verge due to armco right upto L1 & it is pitch black because the street lighting was removed when they turned it into a "smart" motorway.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 13:21   #50
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It is interesting to note that discussions are presently taking place in the 'House' regarding the safety and future of Dynamic Hard Shoulder or 'Smart' motorways. It is also being discussed on the wireless as I type. Watch this space ...

Perhaps your campaign may not be required after all, Thomas!

Regards, John.
Without much faith.. but I'll "watch this space"

Just as Bendolf says- it's one thing to rig up the technology, quite different to use it effectively.

I'll keep loading the guns. Hopefully not needed, as you say..

And with that, I have to admit, I have a slightly mixed feeling about stopping.

From one side- I'm loosing quite enjoyable challenge.

From the other- it is a bit of relief. Doing it all on my own (par advice given by members) would be.. tiring.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post: