Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

36 volt systems what are the pros and cons

Views : 3723

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 18:21   #21
4 forty
VOC Member

Default RE: 36 volt systems what are the pros and con

in reply to sheerwater [nigel] you have raised some very interesting points on this topic, some of which never crossed my mind. and as jimmy cricket would say, "theres more" !!
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 20:55   #22
sheerwater
Master Member

I think that there is lots more to come!!!!!! As an amateur computer builder it seems that car manufacturers are finally going the same way as the computer bods. Each upgrade requires new faster chips but these need faster boards , different memories, different voltages and different plugs for mouse,printer etc. Not to mention new software. The old stuff which in earlier days was transferable is now binned in total. (ok not all) The more I look at it the more I see the disposible car coming. It works great but costs a fortune to fix in the same way that we treat washing machines today. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 22:37   #23
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Yep, that's certainly true on the computer front, the only stuff kept from my original computer are the mouse keyboard and the floppy drive (about 10 years old now). Nowadays when your video breaks, you don't call out the repair man at 80 quid a throw, you buy a brand new one with the latest specs for 120 quid!!! Its almost the same with cars. The 'mechanics' don't really repair them anymore, they just fit new assemblies that have been pre-prepared on a big production line somewhere, trying to repair these things now you would need oscilloscopes and computers to work out which chip has blown.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:39   #24
sheerwater
Master Member

Certainly true on the car engine front. I cant remember the last engine I rebuilt from complete stripdown. We used to do it quite regularly in the past as did most of my friends. Engines are far more reliable etc. but even reading through all the forums the trend is to replace with a scrappers unit or a fully recon unit. If manufacturers start to fit car specific bits i.e. 36 volts then the only alternative will be the local dealer. But is this a bad thing ? Do we want to spend all our time under a car instead of driving it!!!!! Cheers Nigel
Old Sep 6th, 2002, 21:09   #25
George Holmer

Indeed, Nigel, if the car of tomorrow is as reliable as my computer and costs as little in relation to its performance, then I have no problem. However, if in the future they will still charge me 50 quid to fill up some power steering liqiud or similar, then having to go to the dealer no matter what will make me a very angry man.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Sep 7th, 2002, 20:21   #26
sheerwater
Master Member

Hi George
Recent surveys still state that every single make and model of car needs fixing in the first year!!! How many recalls are there for ''thoroughly tested cars'' . I agree that if cars were very reliable things would be good but how many times have we all owned a 100% car? Bulb blown sir? Sorry we will have to tow you to the nearest garage which is now shut and wont reopen until after the bank holiday. A water pump on my 740 cost the AA over £700 is claims because the garage was shut for a bank holiday!!!
Many new cars are almost sealed with only holes for top ups. Audi as one example. Most fuel systems cannot be looked at by anything other than a computer. Great while they work but as the computer boys found standardisation of component fitting built a huge market and a huge choice. Their solution? Change the motherboard format every so often so the old bits would not fit. Seems car makers have learnt this as well.
Cheers Nigel