Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 - Fuel pump check valve - no start when parked downhill

Views : 6431

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 16:08   #1
S60 Alex
VOC Member

Default S60 - Fuel pump check valve - no start when parked downhill

Dear all,

If I ever park facing downhill ('01 S60 T5) with less than half a tank, the car won't start until I roll onto the level and add fuel. Parking facing uphill is always fine (even with an almost empty tank)

I understand that this is because the fuel pump check valve has failed, which lets the fuel drain away from the container that surrounds the fuel pump.

I can only find information on the internet that mentions replacing the pump - at great cost - but wondered if anyone had done this and managed to fix the valve - after all, a check valve is a simple bit of kit!

Regards,

Alex
S60 Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60 Alex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:07   #2
cjvh

Thumbs up S60 Fuel pump check valve

Hi Alex,
I was browsing through the threads this morning as the volvo refused to start and came across your thread.I would just like to say a massive thankyou as after spending an hour in the rain messing around with fuses and pump relays after a quick push to the flat part of the drive and a gallon of fuel bingo she fired into life!!!.
I have been in the trade for thirty odd years and have never seen this before,It would be nice to see someone come up with a solution.

All the very best !!

Chris.
cjvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:23   #3
S60 Alex
VOC Member

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you got it started. I think, ironically, the fuel pump is suspended in this container for the purpose of ensuring it always has fuel when parked on a slope with low fuel - but of course, if the container fails...

I've not yet found any cheap solution to this and have spent the last 4 years only parking facing uphill!!
S60 Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 16:32   #4
cjvh

Default S60 Fuel pump check valve

Hi Alex
You are indeed correct I have since learnt this afternoon that the pump does sit in a container of fuel to avoid stalling on hard braking and fast cornering. The check valve is situated at the bottom of container and develops a leaking fault, with the low fuel cannot refill itself,only way to rectify buying complete new pump assembly or not running low!!.
And with this great news car will now be reversed onto drive with the nose in the air when fuel is under a quarter!!

Regards

Chris.
cjvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 13:15   #5
alcathar
Silver60T

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60 Alex View Post
Dear all,

If I ever park facing downhill ('01 S60 T5) with less than half a tank, the car won't start until I roll onto the level and add fuel. Parking facing uphill is always fine (even with an almost empty tank)

I understand that this is because the fuel pump check valve has failed, which lets the fuel drain away from the container that surrounds the fuel pump.

I can only find information on the internet that mentions replacing the pump - at great cost - but wondered if anyone had done this and managed to fix the valve - after all, a check valve is a simple bit of kit!

Regards,

Alex
Hi Alex,
Many thanks for your post on parking nose down. I have just had same problem after my 2002 S60 on sloping drive two weeks with tank about eighth full. Tried connections etc around ignition switch to no avail (ref other posts) - no joy. Saw your message and had friend tow car out today. Tried starter when level and 'Bingo!' Lesson learned and costly call-out avoided. Cheers, Alan.
alcathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 22:24   #6
madred

I had same problem on 06 d5.took out fuel pump and the pipe that goes into small tank had come off,so sucking up air when parked on a hill.dont know how,was hard to get back on but it went on and solved the problem
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:21   #7
fungus

Move to the Lincolnshire Fens. Problem solved!
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 13:03   #8
PWK

Hi A big thanks from me also,Having only recently purchased my S60 D5 07 I was beside myself with concern that something more sinister was going on.Having read the thread,I only put a gallon in without putting it on the flat and it started first time pointing downhill.I had 146 miles left so didnt consider that as running low,it seems the D5 has the same issue as the T5.To complete the recovery you should get a SOOT FILTER FULL message up after putting in the extra fuel,which if you follow manual instructions is fixed with a 20 min drive..Apart from my thanks and adding that d5 bit I can also say that it does not apply to S80 having had one for 3 years on same drive with much less fuel at times it never happened.
PWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 17:55   #9
Justin Nichols

I know this is an old thread, but I got to say it saved my bacon! I've parked nose down in my drive for years (severe slant) and never had a problem. Suddenly last Monday car wouldn't start. Replaced fuel filter and had hours of research and head scratching to find out it was the check valve in the pump. Had 3/8 tank so didn't even consider it was a low fuel issue. Went and got 5 gallons of fuel and immediately she fired up and running again!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! Thanks to this forum I didn't spend a bunch of money on parts I didn't need! I signed up to the forum just to say thanks love my s60
Justin Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Nichols For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 22:44   #10
Matt Madeira

Default 2001 V70 T5 won't start

Hi there, sorry to disturb you with an old thread!
Did your car give the immobiliser check manual message , when the fuel pump was faulty?
i am at my wits end, parked my 2000/2001 T5 manual on the steep hill outside the house 5 days ago, started it up to warm it up for 10 mins, then it cut out, turns over but will not start up, after 3rd attempt received the message `immobiliser check manual´ in the dash. Put 5 litres of fuel in the tank, but still turns over but will not start, shows a quarter tank on the gauge. Sometimes for a second it sounds like it will start but no, recharged battery and checked fuses wiggled cables, various other messages in dash.
I cannot afford to replace all the probably causes.
Many thanks!
Matt Madeira is offline   Reply With Quote