Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 49926

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:04   #111
TomSaintJames

We will need it as a utility vehicle when we move house, but that is likely to be a month or so away yet, otherwise it isn't needed as such, it'd just be useful to have a 2nd vehicle on the road. Now it's untaxed it isn't really costing anything asides insurance, and i'd have that anyway so now tomorrow's MOT is cancelled the pressure is off a little bit.

In case you're wondering why out of the 4 cars we have, only 1 is on the road... The AX is for sale and the BX is OTR pending some fairly in-depth preventative maintenance and improvement, so only have the Venga currently road worthy, and that is the OH's car (thank goodness) and all persuasive efforts to change it for something nicer/better/more fun/faster etc have failed. There's nothing wrong with it, infact it's been very reliable over the years. It's just rather boring in most aspects that a car could be! It's not even that economical, we usually get low 50's mpg which is no where near the quoted 62mpg in the handbook. It has been remapped, originally ran @ 99bhp, now 120bhp. Interesting that it was running at 9bhp above quoted figures as standard.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:27   #112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
There's nothing wrong with it,
It's diesel.

That aside, what's the state of play on the lights now Tom?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 08:54   #113
TomSaintJames

The turbo shove is nice, especially as it's been remapped,but the lag is terrible and it tails off quite quickly.

With the lights, they are as I left them Monday morning, which is with fully functional bumper lights, but still duff fog and brake lights on the RHS proper light unit.

My next plan is to either fit a new earth to each cluster or just say to hell with it and re-wire the RHS, and if necessary the LHS too. does anyone know if the number plate lights are be fed from just one side (LHS it appears), or is the LHS fed by left light cluster and RHS by right?
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:49   #114
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The turbo shove is nice, especially as it's been remapped,but the lag is terrible and it tails off quite quickly.

With the lights, they are as I left them Monday morning, which is with fully functional bumper lights, but still duff fog and brake lights on the RHS proper light unit.

My next plan is to either fit a new earth to each cluster or just say to hell with it and re-wire the RHS, and if necessary the LHS too. does anyone know if the number plate lights are be fed from just one side (LHS it appears), or is the LHS fed by left light cluster and RHS by right?
First thing to do is that earth connection on the right hand cluster then, where it looks like the insulation on the earth wire between the PCB and the stud is trapped.

It might be an idea to run a "cross bond" earth between the left and right clusters. The number plate lights are indeed fed from the left hand sidelight circuit.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 17:55   #115
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I wish you well with re-wiring. I would make three recommendations:
  • Consider using silicone insulated wires with many fine strands of copper conductor for the section that goes alongside the hinges. That will survive repeated flexing better.
  • Consider making short "looms" for wires alongside the hinges, with good quality connectors. That will make the hinge associated wiring far easier to replace in future. Perhaps prepare a spare pair of looms to keep in your spares box.
  • Document the eventual wiring. Not just online. On paper and keep a copy with the vehicle.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 19:14   #116
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
First thing to do is that earth connection on the right hand cluster then, where it looks like the insulation on the earth wire between the PCB and the stud is trapped.

It might be an idea to run a "cross bond" earth between the left and right clusters. The number plate lights are indeed fed from the left hand sidelight circuit.
I sorted that earth wire, eventually found a ring connector at the bottom of my toolbox, it took some cleaning!

All sensible suggestions Stephen - thanks, I will do just that. Great idea of having a removable section of the wiring loom around the hinge area.

I've been thinking about how best to sort the hinge area wiring, and wondered if I could find a similar thing that MK2 Astra's use for their rear wiper motors, (see pic) a metal plate on the car's body connects with three sprung, retractable brass pins on the boot lid. When the boot is closed, the circuit is closed and the motor works. I feel that this principle could be use don the hearse, wire flex is then not an issue. I'd need one each side, and for it to have more than three pins, what do we think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VGF1.JPG (17.0 KB, 4 views)
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Oct 10th, 2018 at 19:42.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 20:29   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I wouldn't use silicone insulated cable for the loom Tom - one simple reason is that to get it tight, you'll need to wrap it.

Wrapping it means you will compromise the insulation, it's a lot more fragile than PVC insulation and the cost of silicone insulated cable would probably be prohibitive.

The Astra tailgate connector is a good idea and one i was going to suggest later once you'd got the lights working. They also have their problems but are much easier to work with to resolve.

There are other similar connectors that are more reliable, i'll have a look at what i can find.

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 11:25   #118
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I always support David's advice.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:43   #119
TomSaintJames

Hi all, would 16.5 amp 1mm cable suffice for the rear lights? This is what I've bought for the rewiring based on the fact that the fuse for the fog lights is 15 amp.

The 7 core flexible cabling that I've bought is of significantly smaller diameyer than what is on the car, it may be that the insulation is thinner but I haven't yet compared them side by side.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 12:23   #120
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi all, would 16.5 amp 1mm cable suffice for the rear lights? This is what I've bought for the rewiring based on the fact that the fuse for the fog lights is 15 amp.

The 7 core flexible cabling that I've bought is of significantly smaller diameyer than what is on the car, it may be that the insulation is thinner but I haven't yet compared them side by side.
Yes.

Bear in mind though, if you're using any crimp terminals, you'll need to make sure they're suitable for cable that small. The red ones should be ok (i'm guessing you haven't got "W" crimps yet?)

but give each connection the "tug test" after making it - pull on the wire and the crimp to make sure the crimp won't pull off in service.

If you're joing several wires using but splices, stagger the connections so you don't end up with a big bunch of butt splices that are impossible to feed through holes and will make an ugly lump once the new loom is taped up. Much better to have a tiny lump every inch or two than a big lump of 7 or more to try and tape round.

As for the new 7-core cable being significantly smaller, it's not just the insulation, it's the conductors as well. It's fine for stuff that isn't going to move very much during its lifetime but no good for using on a trailer because the plug end moves a lot. It just doesn't have the flexibility like the bigger version. Should be fine for wiring what you're doing as long as you're not using it to get into the tailgate from the car.