Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 50847

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2018, 09:35   #51
TomSaintJames

Thanks for the advice guys. Dave, I have quite a few 382 single filament bulbs 'in stock' as over the years i've bought a pair but only ever used 1, but forgotten that I already had spares...

So the main reason that one fo the brake lights isn't working is because there is a single filament 382 bulb in the holder! So after work today i'll pop down to my local motor factors and get some replacements. Then I can book the MOT, as it's just sat there with tax and insurance but no MOT = useless!

I had a little fiddle with the lights last night and have a few question sabout what should be on or not, as it's all little bpdged with this being a hearse rather than saloon.

So when the headlights are on, the following lights (outlined in green) on the back come on.

Turning on the foglights seems to make no difference as to what comes on on the rear lights, which should be the rear fogs?

I've not replaced any other bulbs on this, but noticed last night that the numberplate bulbs need changing. Also, there are no daytime running lights, I'll check but assume that the sidelight bulbs will have been changed for single filaments (sidelights do work).

Thanks.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 13:19   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The rear fogs will only come on with ignition and dipped beam headlights Tom. They're not allowed by law to operate independently.

You should find it's the most inboard of the bottom row of red lights if memory serves correctly. The brake lights will be the most outboard of the bottom row of lights.

I'm not talking about what's in the bumper as i don't know what is in there or why it might have been put there - it might be your rear fogs for all i know. It's not standard, whatever it is.

*** EDIT ***

Found this in my Volvo handbook - although it's for a 760, i'm fairly sure they used the same lights.

Everything seems to tie up with what you have on the outside of the lamps so there's a good chance it is the same.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 27th, 2018 at 13:23.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 17:56   #53
TomSaintJames

Ah, that makes sense. So either the rear fogs bulbs are dud, or the switch is dud as nothing comes on when the switch is on (with ignition on/engine on etc).

Interesting, didn't know the bumper inserts weren't standard. They're a bit rough around the edges, as in you can see the gaps around the light lenses, perhaps it needs a bit of trim there or something. The bumper itself has seen better days, quite scratched and gouged in places!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 21:27   #54
TomSaintJames

So this evening all bulbs replaced, I now have a full set of rear lights! Except the rear fogs - not sure why they aren't working, I might have a look at the switch on Saturday if I have time, the light on the switch itself doesn't come on when the switch is flicked on, the rear heated screen's (now interior light switch) little light does work.

I did break one of the rear numberplate light units, although in my favour one fo the spade connectors was bypassed with an 'open' end of wire being inserted between the bulb and retaining collar! So looking for a non-corroded/oxidised one.

Another point of interest. With the bootlid open, the lights are on as outlined in green. HOWEVER, when you almost close the bootlid, the bumper lights go out and so do the dimmer brake light/tail lights (no.6 in Dave's very useful image). The plot thickens! Not sure if this is a new development or not, there appears to be no boot-shut sensor/switch...
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 23:03   #55
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you checked the fog lamp fuse Tom?

The "dimmer stop/tail" lights are in fact the tail lights - the brake lights are much brighter. It sounds as if someone has "piggy-backed" off them to feed the lights in the bumper, possibly from the number plate lights that run on the same supply. Whether the wiring is breaking or what i'm not sure but something wrong is happening!

There won't be a switch, if there is it's illegal as the only lighting switch should be on the dashboard - no extra switches to turn lights off if the tailgate is moved!

Also sounds like you need a replacement pair of number plate bulb holders.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 02:57   #56
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Do those main lighting units lift with the tailgate? To give a good wide loading aperture? Someone might have fitted a switch to bring on the bumper lights when when the tailgate is open. Perhaps a mercury switch or a magnetic switch.

With the rear lights as they are, are all earth connections OK?

If the main clusters of lights at the rear are mounted to the tailgate, how do the wires reach the tailgate? Are they to any extent damaged &c. ? Including any earth wires.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 10:10   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Turns out they do! Still shouldn't have a switch to bring the bumper lights on but i can see why they come on as well now.

YOu'll have to trace the wiring back to where the new wiring meets the original wiring Tom and work out how it gets up into the tailgate. Then start inspecting it for possible breaks etc in the hinge areas and so on.

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:00   #58
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I know so little.

Why, and/or by what law, should there not be a switch to bring the bumper lights on, or a switch other than on the dashboard?
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:22   #59
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I know so little.

Why, and/or by what law, should there not be a switch to bring the bumper lights on, or a switch other than on the dashboard?
That wasn't what i said - i said there shouldn't be a switch to cut the lights out other than on the dashboard. It's all in the Constructions & Use Regulations.

The only switch i know of to cut ANY rear lights out is the switch fitted to some trailer sockets to cut the rear fogs on the towing vehicle when a trailer with rear fogs is being towed.

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:39   #60
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That wasn't what i said - i said there shouldn't be a switch to cut the lights out other than on the dashboard. It's all in the Constructions & Use Regulations.

The only switch i know of to cut ANY rear lights out is the switch fitted to some trailer sockets to cut the rear fogs on the towing vehicle when a trailer with rear fogs is being towed.
So sorry. I try hard not to misquote or incorrectly infer. I think you said "There won't be a switch, if there is it's illegal as the only lighting switch should be on the dashboard - no extra switches to turn lights off if the tailgate is moved!"

Only lighting switch on dashboard .... implicitly and therefore ....no extra switches ... &c.

So sorry to not have understood.

Where in the construction and use regs? They are such a minefield. Someone writing the regs. must have tried to anticipate so many permutations. EEK
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: