Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a 96 940 - First Jobs

Views : 4267

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2019, 21:27   #51
vickyg

Aicv working as it should. The view of a local mechanic is when I renewed the filler cap seal it caused oil to blow places it shouldn't. Now I have fixed the breather issue there is some oil being burned off. It is lessening however until cambelt is done I am not inclined to give it the Italian service.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 14:29   #52
quevatre
Andre in Guernsey

Just looking at a 940 estate with 73,000 (Guernsey !!) miles, (see my post). Interested in anything you find of note. Going to see the old girl tonight. Non-runner due to alternator fault. Hoping to get it going and swap it for a scruffy Hyundai Getz. I can't wait to get back into a Volvo again!
quevatre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quevatre For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:06   #53
vickyg

Folks we have a smoke free 940 following an oil change and cambelt, plus fitted the genuine Volvo breather hose despite the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Aicv working as it should. The view of a local mechanic is when I renewed the filler cap seal it caused oil to blow places it shouldn't. Now I have fixed the breather issue there is some oil being burned off. It is lessening however until cambelt is done I am not inclined to give it the Italian service.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:55   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Folks we have a smoke free 940 following an oil change and cambelt, plus fitted the genuine Volvo breather hose despite the price...

Good news! Time for the Italian tune-up now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 11:00   #55
vickyg

Oh it had that service right away! One glitch is the speedo tends to sit on 0MPH until you really floor it....
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 11:06   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Oh it had that service right away! One glitch is the speedo tends to sit on 0MPH until you really floor it....
Have you got ABS on the car Vicky? If so, does the ABS warning light come on at all?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 11:25   #57
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default The S

Quote:
So guess that’s going to be a whole different thread

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 12:42   #58
vickyg

I would assume it has ABS, no warning lights on thankfully. I will probably but a dash mounted GPS one, £15 saves a world of pain fixing it!
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:03   #59
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I would assume it has ABS, no warning lights on thankfully. I will probably but a dash mounted GPS one, £15 saves a world of pain fixing it!
If it has ABS, when you first switch the ignition on and get the warning lights on the dash, the charge warning light should come up, low washer and a couple of others including the ABS warning light if it has it. It should go out with the charge warning light when you start the engine.

The good news is if it has ABS and the light isn't on while driving (but works with the ignition) that the speedo sensor is ok so that points to the instruments and/or connections on the back of the cluster.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...86#post2568486

Have a look at that thread ^^^^^ for some ideas on how to solve many of the problems with the instrument cluster.

Although it's for the 740 with VDO instruments, the same sort of plugs etc were used on the later Yazaki instruments fitted to the later 7xx and most 9xx models and that's where a lot of the trouble is.

You can use your mobile (if yours is a smartphone) to download a GPS speedo app, put your phone in a half-decent cradle/holer and you've got a GPS speedo. That'll save you £15 on a dedicated GPS speedo at least!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 19:22   #60
vickyg

A waggling of wires under the dash and it comes to life. Defo has ABS and no faults with that thankfully. This is not a priority to fix, MOT in December
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, bought, garage, job, steering