Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[B]Head Gasket Gone[/B]

Views : 1311

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2010, 00:04   #11
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I have a friend in Sunderland who is an amateur Volvo enthusiast (with quite a collection) and very capable with a set of spanners. If you get stuck, I could ask him if he's be willing to look at it for you.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 18:49   #12
yragyrag90

Ok, so earlier this week I phoned around a few places, after getting a few responses of £450+ I was starting to lose faith.

I then called Autofix, in Shiremoor, and spoke to a mechanic who sounded like he really knew what he was on about. He told me a bit about the engine and the procedure and quoted a figure of around £250 (including skimming). So it's all booked in for tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it back by early next week.

Do you think he'll swap the cam belt as standard procedure or would I have to ask him to do that as an extra?
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 19:55   #13
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

I would have it changed even it is not that old..The main reason being (and i "m not absolutely sure of this)..Your cambelt would not be covered by the work done as it is supplied by you/the car..If they fit a new one for you it will be covered by garage..it should not increase the bill by much as the engine will already be prepared for new one..also if its over two years old i would be in no doubt to have it changed..it will save you another job further down the line hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 22:40   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

£450+ is silly money. These cars are easy to work on, and a skilled mechanic could easily have the job done in an afternoon (plus time to have the head skimmed). I think our record (granted, we know them pretty damn well...) is 2 hours for engine out, oil pump change, and engine back in.

£250 sound very reasonable. Given the price of the cambelt, it's basically rude not to have it done.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote