Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lack of camera - will I regret it?

Views : 2813

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:34   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron View Post
I have the option of buying a new in stock XC90 Momentum with no options fitted. I think I'm correct in saying that this means there will be no reverse camera.

Does anyone have an XC90 without cameras and if so, do you regret it?

Thanks in advance
So other than its sheer size, there is nothing about the car which makes it particularly difficult to park, wing mirrors are large and well placed, can be configured to auto tilt when reverse, there is good visibility through front and rear windows, and the lock is good. So, although a reversing camera is something that we come to expect these days, it isn't essential.

It really all boils down to how confident a parker / reverser you are.

And yes the 360 camera is impressive and useful, but it can be annoyingly unaccessible at times. Consider pulling into a space forwards, the front parking sensors activate, so then you want to flick to 360 to get an enhanced view, but there is no direct button to do this. You have to get out of the parking sensor display and back to the home scree, swipe to the left and hit the camera button. However, if the parking sensor triggers (beeps) again during the process, it immediately flicks back to the parking sensor display. So often very difficult to activate.

:wq
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:44   #12
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
...it can be annoyingly unaccessible at times. Consider pulling into a space forwards, the front parking sensors activate, so then you want to flick to 360 to get an enhanced view, but there is no direct button to do this. You have to get out of the parking sensor display and back to the home scree, swipe to the left and hit the camera button. However, if the parking sensor triggers (beeps) again during the process, it immediately flicks back to the parking sensor display.
While I respectfully disagree on the subject of whether cameras are needed, I do agree on this point. I've had similar situations when I wanted to use the camera - usually for non-parking purposes like width restrictions or other forward/side stuff.

I wish, as Lexman said in his "one year on" post that there was an assignable (or otherwise) physical button that could be used for the camera. I've taken to prepping the screen when I know a situation is approaching, flicking the display to the side ready to hit the camera button. And there's another slight annoyance, if you hit the camera button while going over a certain speed then it informs you that you can only use the camera at slower speeds, which is fine, but that message disables the button for a short period of time (which feels a lot longer) so if you hit it as you're slowing down you run the risk of being fully engaged with your obstacle (IE needing both hands on control surfaces) before the soft button becomes available again.

Despite these niggles I do still love the system and wouldn't be without it. Any frustrations I have are when it's not available to be used - I want to use it more!
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torshen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:50   #13
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

I have the rear camera only and almost never use it. The camera view is so wide angle, I find it almost misleading.

Once you've started reversing and looking over your shoulder or even in the door mirrors, to then look at the centre screen is more faff than its worth!

I've also driven Discoverys for the last 18 years without a single camera, although front and rear sensors are very helpful.

BUT having said that, I have occasionally used the rear camera and if there was an easy way of adding the 360s, probably would.

However they are very driveable without cameras, especially if you're either used to driving something similarly sized or are a fairly confident driver.

What I do wish I had is front sensors or a front camera - to sell a top of the range £50K+ car without either is nuts, especially considering they're not very expensive and there is so much other tech! Good to see the MY18 now includes F&R sensors.

So, in summary, personally I'd say cameras (rear or 360) are nice to have, useful at times (especially hitching up single handed) but very far from essential.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:54   #14
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
And suspect rear only camera to be the same.
The rear camera can be retro fitted, I think it's around £1000. Jamiemac69 had it done
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:55   #15
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Quote:
So other than its sheer size, there is nothing about the car which makes it particularly difficult to park, wing mirrors are large and well placed, can be configured to auto tilt when reverse, there is good visibility through front and rear windows, and the lock is good. So, although a reversing camera is something that we come to expect these days, it isn't essential.

It really all boils down to how confident a parker / reverser you are.
I 100% agree with this.

I haven't struggled to park it anywhere I've wanted to and would happily park in spaces others wouldn't attempt in smaller cars with or without 360 cameras!
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 15:00   #16
njpollard

I'm a confident parker who drives large minibuses on a regular basis, but I'd still say that the cameras are one of the most useful options on the car. Even if you can manage without them, I think the lack of rear camera would make the car difficult to sell in future.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 15:16   #17
Marley Don

Been driving my car for 18 months, a Momentum with no rear camera fitted and it hasn't been a problem for me.

I have had cameras in my previous 2 cars, I would say it's a nice to have, not essential, sensors are essential!!
Marley Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 15:17   #18
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njpollard View Post
I'm a confident parker who drives large minibuses on a regular basis, but I'd still say that the cameras are one of the most useful options on the car. Even if you can manage without them, I think the lack of rear camera would make the car difficult to sell in future.
+1 for resale value.

:wq
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 15:57   #19
clarkgable

I currently have an Audi Q7 with rear camera only (along with front sensor) and for my XC90 order I have gone for rear camera only as well. For MY18s, front and rear park (and side, I think?) assist is standard so you will have sensors to guide you anyway, whether you choose just to go for the rear camera or nothing at all.

For me, I decided not to go for the 360 partly for cost reasons (although it costs just £300 more than the rear camera, you also have to go for BLIS at an additional £500) but also because I really wanted to change the standard grille and wasn't convinced that would be easy with a camera on the front.

For those who are confident parkers or unlikely to be in tight spots often it really comes down to choice rather than necessity; for others I probably would advise going for the 360 ( or minimum rear camera) if you can afford it.
Handing back Sept 2020: XC90 D5 R-Design (MY18), Electric Silver, Family, Winter+HUD, Subwoofer, Digital TV, 3pin Socket, Rear Park Assist Camera, Rear Media Server, Inscription silver front grille fitted instead of standard R-Design one
clarkgable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 16:19   #20
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
And yes the 360 camera is impressive and useful, but it can be annoyingly unaccessible at times.
I find it little trouble to stop for a moment, shift to R, then back to D to activate the 360° camera.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaby For This Useful Post: