Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet more suspension problems

Views : 705

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:43   #1
iluscombe

Yesterday I got my 3rd set of springs fitted to try and sort out the ride height problems I've been having for a while but unfortunately its as bad as ever.

I currently have the bilstein touring class shocks (which I am more tha happy with) coupled with new volvo springs (#1229337-9). At the rear I have the bilstein again with standard euro car parts springs (ventura I think)

The front still sits very high ( will get a pic later) but the back seems about right, maybe a bit low. There must a good 6 or 7 inch gap above the front wheel, its enough to be able to see the whole width of the top of the tyre tread when standing up close to the car.

I really dont know what else to do as I cant afford to spend much more money unless I know its going to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ian
iluscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:19   #2
jetronic63

Hi Ian, not sure what model you have but the springs you have (1229337-9) are stiffer (+35%) than the standard 240 spring. Perhaps this is causing the high ride height.

What about a set of GLT springs all round, 15-20mm lower than standard but good comfort and will work well with your Bilsteins - should be able to pick up a set cheaply.

Cheers
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:16   #3
iluscombe

Hi,

I have a 88 240 glt saloon. I know these springs are off a 242gt and were listed in the r-sport catalogue many years back.

Ian
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:15   #4
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

I fitted the black bilstein gas filled shocks with new standard springs to my 244, with the result that it was so high at the front it was like driving a truck! I think it was the effect of the gas shocks "pushing" the car up with the spring compared with the 'passive' effect of the old oil shocks. In the end i just splashed out on the spax lowering springs and a pair of bosch mono-tubes i had for another project. With the virgos she great now, at least to my mind. The neighbours will agree when i get her resprayed....
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:45   #5
iluscombe

thanks for that rich. That sounds exactly the same as what i've been having.

I think I have some old glt shocks somewhere so will swap them in and see what happens.

Thanks Ian