Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 D5, Cruise Control not working

Views : 5062

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2015, 07:05   #1
Bassius

Default 2003 V70 D5, Cruise Control not working

Hello Guys,

I bought a '03 V70 D5 two weeks ago, but we noticed that the cruise control doesn't work.

The lights on the steering wheel light up and when we check with DiCE the buttons also give a signal (the ecu reads that on/off changed for the buttons). Unfortunately though nothing actually happens. There is no indication on the dashboard that cruise control is "on" or whatsoever and pressing Cruise and the "set" button does not put the car on cruise.

Is there anything in specific that I should look at ? As far as I can remember we did not see any specific error codes in Vida using DiCE that would indicate something would be wrong with the cruise control.

Cheers,
Bassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:05   #2
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Clutch or brake position sensor maybe? Not sure which, but its one or the other.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:07   #3
Bassius

It's an automatic.

Shouldn't a faulty sensor generate a specific fault (shown in vida) ? Also it does not show any icon or whatsoever.

Last edited by Bassius; Oct 1st, 2015 at 08:11.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:17   #4
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I think it's quite a common problem, and this is one of the causes that is frequently down as the culprit. I'm confident someone else with more info will chip in very soon.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 22:00   #5
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
Clutch or brake position sensor maybe? Not sure which, but its one or the other.
Agreed.
If you have a small leak coming from the brake reservoir, it drips down onto the sensors on the pedals and knackers them. This in turn puts your cruise control out the game.
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stutgart69 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 07:11   #6
Bassius

I'd like to give this thread a "bump", as we have not been able to figure out what is causing the Cruise Control to malfunction.

Yesterday, using DiCE, we checked the car for errors and/or warnings but there were none (apart of the right mirror motor not working). We checked to see if the brake pedal sensor was working, and it works properly. In VIDA the result of the measurements is good so I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with it.

Basically this is the scenario:

- VIDA / DiCE show no errors;
- Cruise Control button does not initiate anything. No display action whatsoever;
- We checked the buttons with VIDA /DiCE, all are working OK;
- Took the fuse out for the CEM for a while, no result;

We did however notice that VIDA (using DiCE) shows that the clutch pedal is apparently at 7%. This is kind of strange, since it is an automatic ??

In VIDA it shows:

BCM-Brake light switch status: Off
BCM-Pedal pressure sensor stat: Off
BCM Pedal travel sensor signal: 0mm
ECM-Clutch pedal sensor: 7,16%

Knowing that the cruise would go "off" when pressing the clutch, I can assume that this clutch-pedal position could have some influence on it, if cruise were to be enabled. Unfortunately though, it does not even get that far because it does not show "cruise" in the instrument pedal.

Any thoughts? I'd like to prevent replacing expensive "try outs" like the brake position sensor since it seems to be working OK according to VIDA.

Should "cruise" always be shown in the display when I press Cruise on the steering wheel?

Last edited by Bassius; Feb 26th, 2016 at 08:09.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:47   #7
jasmith44
jasmith44

Are you aware that cruise only works over 30 mph ? Just a thought.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:52   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Also from memory it's a two stage process to initiate, i.e. 'ON' plus a + or - button.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 09:03   #9
Bassius

Well, regardless of how fast I'm driving, nothing happens when I press the "Cruise" button.

No indication on the dash that cruise is on, let alone one that it is actually doing something.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 09:04   #10
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Also from memory it's a two stage process to initiate, i.e. 'ON' plus a + or - button.
Exactly right. Pressing "Cruise" enables cruise control, but does not set a speed. The Cruise indicator in the instrument display lights up.

Pressing + or - once cruise control is enabled sets the speed, and then 'Set' appears next to 'Cruise' in the display. Braking or triggering the ESP turns it off, as does pressing the Cruise button obviously.

To the OP, do you get a 'Set' indicator, even if it doesn't work?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote