Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do you HATE most about your s/v 40 ?

Views : 22686

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 17:23   #11
Kerry_T-5R
854 T-5R owner

My S40 was almost faultless. I had none of the faults described above. The worst thing for me was that the wiper caught on the bonnet (when opening the bonnet), but I resolved that after I had the bonnet re-sprayed.

As for number 4 on the list - I took both my headlight lenses out without loosening the bumper!! Remove the headlights by un doing 3 nuts then remove the clips.

As with any car faults develop with age and in order to keep the car in good condition money must be spent.

Kerry

Volvo 850 T-5R manual (Olive) B5234T5 : 305 bhp & a 14.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 101 mph & Volvo S40 1.9D S 2004 Daily driver
Ex-Volvo: B4194-T2 (S40 T4).
Kerry_T-5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 17:33   #12
MBSnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Bmw owner View Post
Depends on if you have the computer or not. My 97 V40 2.0 has an external temp gauge.
Just seems a major oversight for a brand respected for being safe. Should have been *standard* at the time on all variants from the base model upwards.
MBSnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 18:08   #13
hansol

For me its :

The sealed marker lamps. £12 a throw and a real knuckle scraper to change.

The lack of column or steering wheel mounted stereo controls, a bit of a safety oversight. Even Renault were fitting them back in 1989

Having to turn the light switch on to get main beam even tho the DRL's are on
hansol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 18:22   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSnr View Post
Just seems a major oversight for a brand respected for being safe. Should have been *standard* at the time on all variants from the base model upwards.
It was from about 2001 model ...
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 19:06   #15
Rooster
Speed freak

Not really much apart from how much fuel the thing uses 25.5mpg altho i have got a heavy right foot,

apart from that not alot
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 19:19   #16
Diamond_Gee

* The position of the ashtray on the PH1, even though the push/flip thing looks pretty.

* The vanity mirrors in the sunvisors don't point towards the people sitting in the seats

And that's racking my brains - I think the S40's one of the nicest cars i've owned with no more down points than any of the others (foolish manufacturing decisions etc). Would love to get 50mpg, cheap parts, low insurance, massive amounts of torque and an M3 style top speed but what can you do?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 20:42   #17
nobbynormal

The steering wheel gets in the way of the speedo and indicator lights on the dash. I have to duck my head under the top rim of the steering wheel to make sure the indicator has canceled as it sometimes stays on.
nobbynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 21:08   #18
jonny57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbynormal View Post
The steering wheel gets in the way of the speedo and indicator lights on the dash. I have to duck my head under the top rim of the steering wheel to make sure the indicator has canceled as it sometimes stays on.
The steering wheel is adjustable-there is a catch under the column.
Now what do I dislike about my v40
Thirsty around town-
Poky interior-
Slow acceleration-
Creaking dashboard-
Expensive parts-
Not much room under the bonnet to get to things like timing and alternator belts-
And that everyone I know thinks that because it's a Volvo estate you can get almost any thing into the back-
you can't!

jonny57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 21:15   #19
Ambiesda

2002 V40, 1.9 Td SE, Electronic Climate Control, Heated Front Seats, Front Foglights, Leather Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Info Centre, Power Windows, front and Rear, Headlamp Wipers/Washers, Luxury Floor Mats, now covered with Rubber Floor Mats, full set, plus full boot liner, Illuminated Vanity Mirror, Redwood Parts, interior along with Full Leather Interior, Armreast Rear with Cupholder, High Performance Loudspeakers, Vogon Alu Wheels, circa 48 mpg Summer/Winter combined, etc etc. as described in "V40 Option list",
and enough space to fall asleep in the back, (when necessary)with the rear seats folded forward.

Love it all.

Regards

Malky
Ambiesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 21:26   #20
VolvoFan
Master Member

I don't like the poor rear visibility when reversing due to the high back end, or the thick and sharply raked front windscreen pillars, which impair sideways visibility somewhat, especially when leaving a junction at a slight angle. Bring back wrap-around windscreens.

These are the poor design features of most similar modern cars which I find detrimental to safety and would like to see more attention given to better visibility than to so-called streamlining of body shapes.

For these features, my old 240 leaves the S40 standing!
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote