Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do you HATE most about your s/v 40 ?

Views : 22602

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:44   #21
DavidMarron

I quite like my (phase 2) V40

but one thing I have noticed (as has a mate who also runs one and is, in my opinion, a "better" driver than I am)

the V40 is a nightmare to reverse. I can't find the back and always have more space at the rear than it seems like. I've lost count of the amount of times I have to get back in and adjust my parking. I could go the other way and rebvverse gently until i hit something but that's not me.

Think it's simething to do with the curvature of the rear glass.
DavidMarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:54   #22
pcmaczone

Ok well, the squeak from the steering wheel is due to bad design. I have never come across a car in my 30 years of driving where the steering wheel develops a squeak because some lubricant on a metal rim inside the thing has dried out.

The suspension is the worst I have ever come across on any car. I live out in the countryside and we have a lot of badly maintained roads out here. In the Volvo you feel every little bump and ridge in the road and if you are unfortunate enough to hit a pot hole it sends a jarring shudder through the car. Maybe the shocks need changing but I have been told by two garages now that they are fine.

Will check the pollen filter in case that is the cause of the de-mist problem. Also the thermostat for the heater.

Totally agree about visibility problem. You really have to be careful at junctions because the thick front windscreen pillars...but then many cars have the same problem.

The radio cut out thing. It's not the power that cuts, just the radio seems to lose the signal momentarily. I have heard others had the same problem and it was a design fault in the radio.

Oh yeah, forgot about the creaking sounds from the dash!

Of course this is not a new car and I expect things to need sorting from time to time but I have owned much older cars which never needed anything doing to them. I just think the S40 was not built as well as it should have been. I had a 240 a long time ago and it was built like a tank. Nothing creaked, nothing broke, it was comfortable to drive for hundreds of miles at a time. What on earth happened to Volvo ?
pcmaczone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:06   #23
Liberty555

pcmaczone - you can change the setting on the stereo to stop it trying to find the strongest station. The silence you mentioned is when its trying to switch to a stronger signal, and if you're in the country it can take time to find the signal - the instructions on how to change the setting are in the manual for the car.

I had a car which developed a squeek because the metal ring wasn't lubricated behind the steering wheel - the little brass contact wore through - they you go, thats another car that does it, you're not alone! It was a 1982 1.6L Holden Camira, and it won Car of the Year in Australia!

Suspension is not the worst - sure, its not the best, but its not that bad.

What happened to Volvo? Well you do realise the S/V40 were made in the Netherlands don't you, by DAF?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:22   #24
SteveP
300 Maniac

- Replacing a whole side marker lamp if a bulb goes
- Jarring ride quality for a 'luxury' car (not much smoother than my 360 with Spax adjustable shocks!)
- '98 T4 Fuel pump issues
- Slightly cheap feeling trim in places
- Overassisted and numb power steering

And I haven't really driven it any distance yet
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:29   #25
pcmaczone

Ahh...so the Dutch are to blame

I think if the ride quality were better I could pretty much live with everything else but because I use the car so much I really notice it.

It is a nice looking car. Understated but classy. Also we have the full leather interior, air con and computer. The wife likes it so I guess thats enough
pcmaczone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 13:57   #26
borland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaczone View Post
The radio cut out thing. It's not the power that cuts, just the radio seems to lose the signal momentarily. I have heard others had the same problem and it was a design fault in the radio.
The SC-805 radio (not sure what you have) is one of the best on the market and is made for Volvo by Alpine. The build quality is superb and it's not cheap. I also hooked my Archos MP3 on it. You make sure as it's been advised before to disable AF (alternative freq.) to avoid the radio looking for alter. freq. when you move from A to B.
borland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 14:00   #27
danv40

i hate te way that the rear wheel arches restrict you putting in large boxed items into boot
danv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 14:25   #28
Neo123

Front wheels squeek as you go over speed humps. And when you check the bushes all is well!
Neo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 14:44   #29
D5driver
No Spam here

Nothing anymore, i sold the piece of crap
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 15:00   #30
Jocksuper7
Grease Monkey

No cup holders,
114.3 stud pitch making it akward as hell to get a cheap deal on a set of rims,
and my right foot causing the MPG to be anywhere between 9 and 30 MPG ( the ring/ drive there made it dip to 9)
Apart from that i loves it, the look on peoples faces when they get smoked by a yellow volvo is heaven on earth
Jocksuper7 is offline   Reply With Quote