Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Bulb Replacement 01-04 S40/V40

Views : 116875

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2017, 01:17   #181
Haizum74
Master Member

Oh and to add to the leds, found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192072383886

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 11:19   #182
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Did anyone ever find a definitive led bulb that's a straight fit (no soldering needed) that throws the light sensibly and are nice and bright, as I buggered it up and ordered T5 ones by accident, but the ones I got for the headlight switch are the t4 ones and do fit the AC panel, and are now all working, they just aren't particularly bright, and as I wrecked the blue caps trying to remove them from the dead bulbs it all looks a little miss matched.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 17:23   #183
Rob01

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanhireBoys View Post
Hi Guys
Dont know if this has been covered before... I done a wee job today and its the wee jobs that make the difference... My V40 Dash was looking rather dark and I had to feel about to try and operate any thing. This is the trait of a car with big miles it seems...

Well first of all you need 3 of each of these... FRF Simon got this sorted.. Top Man..!
These are the Heater panel bulbs

Tools:
Torx bit driver , Phillips screwdriver, Medium plain flat driver,
First of all set all the controls to the left horizontal position

Then remove the knobs.. Pull straight out - give them a bit of a wiggle

Then put a blunt screwdriver (I used a screwdriver with a piece of tape on the end so as not to damage the trim) into the left of the panel and prize out. Work your way left to right until it comes off.. Take it nice and steady.

This exposes the 4 mounting screws.

Push the unit back and turn the unit in tword the left of the dash. Remove both wiring harness plugs.

Keep gentle pressure top and bottom so that the locating tab on top of the unit clears the bottom of th events and the unit can be taken out

Remove the 4 torx screws and release the tabs on th eback of the unit. This dosent really have to be done but its handier for access to the bulbs

As Haynes say refit is the reverse of removal.. Its a bit of a mare to line up the panel once its all installed. There is a slot at the bottom of the vents that the tab must fit into. start by putting the unit on in to the left and then put the plugs back in. Then work on the alignment of the screws.

The lightswitch is an easier task.
You need 3 of these

Then take out these 2 screws and pull the unit down and out to release the vent in the dash. Release the wiring plug

Heres the 3 bulbs..

Heres the old ones

Its handy enough to put back in. Line up with the vent and push home until it snaps into place. Then put the 2 bottom screws back in...

Job done... All in all it took me an hour or so but its well worth doing rather than putting in the interior light all the time....!
Thanks for this guide was able to replace all my bulbs now just gotta figure out how to change the Info centre bulb.
Rob01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 05:07   #184
Swedewrkz

I know I am resurrecting this old thread, BUT I need to know what size the two bulbs are to replace the ones in the Info Centre? It's part of this in the pics but no one has ever asked.
Swedewrkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 08:16   #185
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedewrkz View Post
I know I am resurrecting this old thread, BUT I need to know what size the two bulbs are to replace the ones in the Info Centre? It's part of this in the pics but no one has ever asked.
They are t5 wedge bulbs like the rest of the instrument cluster, they were in my 02 t4 anyway, the actual info centre is not pictured below but all those little LCD panels are the same bulb, unsure if your car is slightly later though, my 52 se has the later style clocks with the rev counter and Speedo on opposite sides (amongst other differences) and I've never had that dash out to look.

Unless you mean the actual part of the dash that says info centre where the adjustment knob is, in which case I think it's a T3 1/4, ridiculously tiny wedge bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191124_144114-1039x779.jpg (152.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jan 17th, 2020 at 08:42.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 03:13   #186
Swedewrkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
They are t5 wedge bulbs like the rest of the instrument cluster, they were in my 02 t4 anyway, the actual info centre is not pictured below but all those little LCD panels are the same bulb, unsure if your car is slightly later though, my 52 se has the later style clocks with the rev counter and Speedo on opposite sides (amongst other differences) and I've never had that dash out to look.

Unless you mean the actual part of the dash that says info centre where the adjustment knob is, in which case I think it's a T3 1/4, ridiculously tiny wedge bulb.
YES! I have the T5's and got some long T4's too. But I was looking for the t3 1/4. AWESOME SAUCE. Thanks so much.
Swedewrkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 21:39   #187
TATOposte0918

Default Change mine WITH LED'S NOW TROUBLE

2001 v40. Air CONTROL 3 LED'S RPM SPEED FUEL AND COOLING TEMPERATURE ALSO CHANGED 4 LED'S. ALSO SHIFTER WITH LED...SO NOW CAR WON'T START OR IF IT STARTS MOTOR ACTS STRANGELY AND STOPS WORKING AFTER FES MINUTES. IN SD INSTALLED LED'S OFF NO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIGHTS. PLEASE HELP.
TATOposte0918 is offline   Reply With Quote